Bullnose Forums

HBF comes out of retirement

Thanks Gary! I’ll bring it back half a turn. I didn’t mark it but I was deliberate with the quarter turns relative to the wrench on the locking nut.

F5928647-9748-409A-8192-36FBA29A2064.jpeg.e94d219e6f741c806e443f7117026b6f.jpeg

Aloha Guys!

Can ya’ll remind me what the F0177 and the T0580 means again?!? I coulda sworn I read or wrote about this in the past but can’t find it now.

I think it means extra payload that can be applied to the front axle (177lbs) and then both axles (“T” for total of 580lbs).

Maybe I am off base. Thank you in advance for your knowledge!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aloha Guys!

Can ya’ll remind me what the F0177 and the T0580 means again?!? I coulda sworn I read or wrote about this in the past but can’t find it now.

I think it means extra payload that can be applied to the front axle (177lbs) and then both axles (“T” for total of 580lbs).

Maybe I am off base. Thank you in advance for your knowledge!

Aloha!

I don't remember the answer to the question but I think it is at the bottom of this thread. However I'm right in the middle of something and don't have time to check it out right now, so maybe you can. And I'll be back later to see if you have or if I need to dig deeper. So please post what you find. (And then you can get back to it later. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Aloha!

I don't remember the answer to the question but I think it is at the bottom of this thread. However I'm right in the middle of something and don't have time to check it out right now, so maybe you can. And I'll be back later to see if you have or if I need to dig deeper. So please post what you find. (And then you can get back to it later. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Ok, got that done and now I'm back. And it looks like I need to update the Certification Label page with this info.

As shown above the '85 owner's manual has this:

85_Owners_Manual_Certification_Label.jpg.34d45eeda4582be5bc17ea12e0f3c9cd.jpg

FRONT AXLE ACCESSORY RESERVE CAPACITY (example shown is F0113) — represents the allowable weight (in pounds) for permanent accessories or equipment that may be added without exceeding the front GAWR

TOTAL ACCESSORY RESERVE CAPACITY (example shown is T0492) — represents the total weight (in

pounds) of permanent accessories or equipment that can be attached to a vehicle.

Ok, got that done and now I'm back. And it looks like I need to update the Certification Label page with this info.

As shown above the '85 owner's manual has this:

FRONT AXLE ACCESSORY RESERVE CAPACITY (example shown is F0113) — represents the allowable weight (in pounds) for permanent accessories or equipment that may be added without exceeding the front GAWR

TOTAL ACCESSORY RESERVE CAPACITY (example shown is T0492) — represents the total weight (in

pounds) of permanent accessories or equipment that can be attached to a vehicle.

How far over are you with Big Blue? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: (given the Warn bumper, winch, second battery, etc,etc, ad infinitum)

How far over are you with Big Blue? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: (given the Warn bumper, winch, second battery, etc,etc, ad infinitum)

Ok, is this the right thread? :nabble_smiley_blush:

Big Blue's official #'s are F0403 and T0157. And here are my thoughts:

• Front: The GAWR on the front is 3850, but that was with the original tires, front TTB's, and springs. But I'm running a 95 F350 D60 axle with 2005 SuperDuty U-code springs and larger tires. I've found 2005 trucks with that combo and their front GAWR is 4600. So I'd bet the front suspension can handle a lot more than the 403 lbs shown.

However, I do have the Warn bumper and 12K winch, although the aux battery would have been included in the 403 as the truck was ordered with an aux battery. On the other hand, both batteries are a LOT heavier than factory. And there are other things that add to the front axle's load, albeit not 100% as they are between the axles, like the inverter, the on-board air system, the toolbox stuffed with tools, the bed cover, etc.

• Total: I can't wrap my head around the "157" number. The original GVWR is 8600 lbs and it weighs 6560, so that's basically 2000 lbs. That means we are off an order of magnitude! :nabble_anim_crazy:

Ok, is this the right thread? :nabble_smiley_blush:

Big Blue's official #'s are F0403 and T0157. And here are my thoughts:

• Front: The GAWR on the front is 3850, but that was with the original tires, front TTB's, and springs. But I'm running a 95 F350 D60 axle with 2005 SuperDuty U-code springs and larger tires. I've found 2005 trucks with that combo and their front GAWR is 4600. So I'd bet the front suspension can handle a lot more than the 403 lbs shown.

However, I do have the Warn bumper and 12K winch, although the aux battery would have been included in the 403 as the truck was ordered with an aux battery. On the other hand, both batteries are a LOT heavier than factory. And there are other things that add to the front axle's load, albeit not 100% as they are between the axles, like the inverter, the on-board air system, the toolbox stuffed with tools, the bed cover, etc.

• Total: I can't wrap my head around the "157" number. The original GVWR is 8600 lbs and it weighs 6560, so that's basically 2000 lbs. That means we are off an order of magnitude! :nabble_anim_crazy:

You've got to remember that this isn't Gross Weight Rating.

This is the suggested max additional constant load.

Hitch a trailer to it.

Fill it with rocks or roof shingles.

The springs don't live with that on their back all the time.

You've got to remember that this isn't Gross Weight Rating.

This is the suggested max additional constant load.

Hitch a trailer to it.

Fill it with rocks or roof shingles.

The springs don't live with that on their back all the time.

That may be it, Jim. The max additional constant load. :nabble_smiley_good:

That may be it, Jim. The max additional constant load. :nabble_smiley_good:

Cory puts it well

They represent the front axle reserve capacity in pounds, and the total vehicle reserve capacity in pounds.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n89189/certlabel.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n89189/2425.jpg

Think of it like this: The reserve capacity of the axles is the amount (in weight) that can be permanently added to the truck, before it would be considered to be over its rated empty capacity. For the guys like me with a little 2wd Flareside, you wonder what in the heck would anybody add to the front axle??...But it is referring to things like aftermarket bumpers, bush bars, winches, snow plows, etc. Total vehicle could be something like a ladder rack or boat rack, headache rack, tool box, etc.

It's the way all manufacturers rate their vehicles. If your front axle reserve capacity is only 27 lbs (like it is on my 1984 Flareside), then I couldn't install a 150 lb bumper and then go complain to the Ford dealer about unusual tire wear on the front end. They'd look at my truck and say warranty denied.

Cory puts it well
They represent the front axle reserve capacity in pounds, and the total vehicle reserve capacity in pounds.https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n89189/certlabel.jpghttps://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n89189/2425.jpgThink of it like this: The reserve capacity of the axles is the amount (in weight) that can be permanently added to the truck, before it would be considered to be over its rated empty capacity. For the guys like me with a little 2wd Flareside, you wonder what in the heck would anybody add to the front axle??...But it is referring to things like aftermarket bumpers, bush bars, winches, snow plows, etc. Total vehicle could be something like a ladder rack or boat rack, headache rack, tool box, etc.It's the way all manufacturers rate their vehicles. If your front axle reserve capacity is only 27 lbs (like it is on my 1984 Flareside), then I couldn't install a 150 lb bumper and then go complain to the Ford dealer about unusual tire wear on the front end. They'd look at my truck and say warranty denied.
Thanks. I've created a new page and have stolen Cory's words. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've edited the sample certification label I use on the page at Documentation/Specifications/Certification Label to include a Reserve Capacity section. And if you click that blue box you'll be taken to the new page at Documentation/Specifications/Reserve Capacity.

Please see what you think and give me suggestions.

Thanks. I've created a new page and have stolen Cory's words. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've edited the sample certification label I use on the page at Documentation/Specifications/Certification Label to include a Reserve Capacity section. And if you click that blue box you'll be taken to the new page at Documentation/Specifications/Reserve Capacity.

Please see what you think and give me suggestions.

Please explain how my front axle reserve capacity is greater than my total reserve capacity. :nabble_anim_confused:20231121_174052.thumb.jpg.9083ff307ac78e7b7e4ef303b1eae94f.jpg