Bullnose Forums

HBF comes out of retirement

Ha!!! That’s funny Gary!!! The parking brake linkage that connects one cable to the two rear brake cables seems to have come apart somehow (perhaps an over aggressive stomp on the parking brake pedal.) Gary, can you point me to places on this site that have pictures/parts about how it’s supposed to look?!?

Thank you in advance!

Try Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and then the Parking Brake tab on the far right.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha!!! That’s funny Gary!!! The parking brake linkage that connects one cable to the two rear brake cables seems to have come apart somehow (perhaps an over aggressive stomp on the parking brake pedal.) Gary, can you point me to places on this site that have pictures/parts about how it’s supposed to look?!?

Thank you in advance!

69EEB06D-1D79-4B87-9CC8-6684CDE7DB8E.png.1609173a6ab8ce3d46b8e0904fe5a3d3.png

D6592EC1-994A-406C-92D0-31ADB02D335A.png.f8f87100be40743d32e930e3b7f19e7f.png

Thank you gentlemen! I suspect the spring needs to be replaced…

I think you are right, that one looks stretched. You can find the part numbers on the same page I referenced, and I believe you'll find is D8TZ 2A651-A. The D8 means it first came out in '78 and it was used at least through '89, so should be available.

I think you are right, that one looks stretched. You can find the part numbers on the same page I referenced, and I believe you'll find is D8TZ 2A651-A. The D8 means it first came out in '78 and it was used at least through '89, so should be available.

also, the adjusting bolt should NOT have a washer. nor should it have two nuts checked to each other. the actual part is a nut with a "ball" side to fit into the concave recess of the equalizer so it can "equalize the way it pulls on both rear cables and not pull harder on one more than the other

also, the adjusting bolt should NOT have a washer. nor should it have two nuts checked to each other. the actual part is a nut with a "ball" side to fit into the concave recess of the equalizer so it can "equalize the way it pulls on both rear cables and not pull harder on one more than the other

Gentlemen, I’m struggling a bit finding the spring (2A651) and the nut (389439). Got any ideas on where to order it?!? Also hoping to get verification that the adjusting bolt and cable hook (2K389) should be one piece. Perhaps all three parts come in an aftermarket kit?!?

Gentlemen, I’m struggling a bit finding the spring (2A651) and the nut (389439). Got any ideas on where to order it?!? Also hoping to get verification that the adjusting bolt and cable hook (2K389) should be one piece. Perhaps all three parts come in an aftermarket kit?!?

lmc shows them in their catalog as parts 8-11 in the diagram. 80-96 years but they list the adjuster bolt alone as an 80-91 part. I think you are covered either way. there was a change at one point where they went from an equalizer that had two key holes for two rear cables, changed to one fixed cable and one keyhole but not certain of which models and years. they will not work. don't try that.

lmc shows them in their catalog as parts 8-11 in the diagram. 80-96 years but they list the adjuster bolt alone as an 80-91 part. I think you are covered either way. there was a change at one point where they went from an equalizer that had two key holes for two rear cables, changed to one fixed cable and one keyhole but not certain of which models and years. they will not work. don't try that.

Mat how could that be with 2 cables on the rear axle, 1 from each side?

There has to be a way to hook the 2 rear brake cables to the 1 front cable and that part is it.

Now if you have a LWB like a CC truck there could be a "joiner" like you say to join the front & middle cables together.

BTW I got all the adjuster parts pictured from LMC years ago for my truck.

Dave ----

Mat how could that be with 2 cables on the rear axle, 1 from each side?

There has to be a way to hook the 2 rear brake cables to the 1 front cable and that part is it.

Now if you have a LWB like a CC truck there could be a "joiner" like you say to join the front & middle cables together.

BTW I got all the adjuster parts pictured from LMC years ago for my truck.

Dave ----

I will try to get a picture of the odd setup as soon as I can. I'm pretty sure we have one in the shop still. i just can't remember which it was. I've been out for five weeks.

The 1992 - 1997 F5TZ2A602CA F-150 F-250 F-350 Parking Brake Equalizer Bar pulls on opposite sides of the channel instead of the center (bottom) of the 'U'.

The '92-'97 equalizer doesn't accept the long threaded adjuster on the end of the cable coming from the pedal assembly.

As you can see in these photos from JBG.

'61-'91jbg_12687_1.jpg.afe58f902dcc3f561081e126e1e2269c.jpg

'92-'979296_ebrake_equalizer_1.thumb.jpg.008e006fcc7278264f7444d7e52e87c3.jpg