Bullnose Forums

Shop Crane With Engine Stand

I have one of these stand combos. And yes swivel the engine 180 degrees and mount to the stand part. Works fine. It also folds up when not being used...

So if the stand were on the other way 'round the engine wouldn't have to be swiveled and it would work fine?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if the stand were on the other way 'round the engine wouldn't have to be swiveled and it would work fine?

Hmmm,,, don't see why not.. But I think it may be designed to center the weight of the engine on the legs in this configuration?

Easy front access for timing chain, fuel pump, water pump this way too.

Hmmm,,, don't see why not.. But I think it may be designed to center the weight of the engine on the legs in this configuration?

Easy front access for timing chain, fuel pump, water pump this way too.

And you would not need to step over the crane legs to work on the front.

I also think even making the arm short and folded down it will nail you in the back a few times till you wind out removing the arm.

Then what do you do when you have a 2nd project you need to pull the motor on or support say a frame and you got this motor on the crane or need a 2nd motor stand?

Don't tell me you have not needed more than 1 stand as I had 2 stands in a vary small 1 car garage before I moved to NC?

FYI when I got home with the NP435 transmission there was no way I was going to lift it out of my truck myself guess what I used? Yep the crane that did not have a motor on it :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

Gary, if you know anything about me by now, Im cheap and love figuring out ways to build stuff myself.

But that combo is pretty enticing, especially at the price its selling for right now.

I might have to think about this one. I do like youre idea of making a swivel upgrade or switching the stand position.

Gary, if you know anything about me by now, Im cheap and love figuring out ways to build stuff myself.

But that combo is pretty enticing, especially at the price its selling for right now.

I might have to think about this one. I do like youre idea of making a swivel upgrade or switching the stand position.

I'm of a mind that anything that tries to be more than one thing is not only a compromise but a hassle to use.

I've never considered a combination lift/stand but it looks awful unwieldy.

What's the advantage, other than the feet/front casters don't interfere?

I'm of a mind that anything that tries to be more than one thing is not only a compromise but a hassle to use.

I've never considered a combination lift/stand but it looks awful unwieldy.

What's the advantage, other than the feet/front casters don't interfere?

The engine stand is removeable, and the long legs fold up for storage.

The engine stand is removeable, and the long legs fold up for storage.

Yeah, I get that.

But it looks like 6' long, and you're stuck with the whole thing if you have an engine on it.

Usually, when I have an engine on a stand I'm either spinning it around while I have parts laid out on the bench, or it's pushed off into a corner awaiting parts or the machine shop to finish heads (or something)

I don't want ALL of that thing in my way.

But whoever came up with the idea certainly never worked in a tight shop or tripped over a crane.

Yeah, I get that.

But it looks like 6' long, and you're stuck with the whole thing if you have an engine on it.

Usually, when I have an engine on a stand I'm either spinning it around while I have parts laid out on the bench, or it's pushed off into a corner awaiting parts or the machine shop to finish heads (or something)

I don't want ALL of that thing in my way.

But whoever came up with the idea certainly never worked in a tight shop or tripped over a crane.

Dave makes a good point too.

How do you swap engines if your newly built one is attached to your engine hoist?

Dave makes a good point too.

How do you swap engines if your newly built one is attached to your engine hoist?

Lots of good points, guys. And I agree that a combo unit is rarely as good as two dedicated units. In this case the overall length while using the engine stand would be huge. And getting the pulled engine off and onto a stand so a new engine can be installed is the same issue as I have now.

Let me say that another way: I've rarely pulled an engine, put it on a stand, worked on it, and put it back in. The vast majority of the time I've ended up sending the engine to a machine shop or just replaced it. So this combo really doesn't solve the problem I have where the legs of the shop crane and engine stand need to be in the same spot at the same time.

Y'all are free to continuing discussing it, but you've helped me make up my mind. This is not the way I want to go as it doesn't solve my problem. However, could you suggest ways to solve that problem?

Lots of good points, guys. And I agree that a combo unit is rarely as good as two dedicated units. In this case the overall length while using the engine stand would be huge. And getting the pulled engine off and onto a stand so a new engine can be installed is the same issue as I have now.

Let me say that another way: I've rarely pulled an engine, put it on a stand, worked on it, and put it back in. The vast majority of the time I've ended up sending the engine to a machine shop or just replaced it. So this combo really doesn't solve the problem I have where the legs of the shop crane and engine stand need to be in the same spot at the same time.

Y'all are free to continuing discussing it, but you've helped me make up my mind. This is not the way I want to go as it doesn't solve my problem. However, could you suggest ways to solve that problem?

I may be alone in this... but an IDI cylinder head weighs 105 lbs. when removing and replacing the heads, it is helpful to be able to lower it gently onto the new gaskets with a shop crane and the block on a stand. I’m thinking it would not be possible to move and position it as needed if the stand were on the legs of the crane. Perhaps with a long chain and a lot of lift it would still have enough swing. The legs of the light duty T frame stands do not interfere with a crane, but the heavy duty H frame stands fight legs with the crane. My only thoughts on a solution are blocks or large wheels on the stand that allow the crane legs to pass underneath.