Bullnose Forums

Shop Crane With Engine Stand

Dave - You have an excellent point. Usually the way I pull an engine is with two chains, and each chain goes from one head to the other. That lets me adjust the angle of the engine w/o using the load balancer, which adds too much space. But that means there's no chance of swiveling the engine once it is pulled.

So, why not put the engine stand on the shop crane the other way 'round? Meaning point the flywheel toward the front of the shop crane. That way you don't have to set it down nor turn it around. Any problem with that?

As for folding, both my shop crane and engine stand fold up fairly small. You can see that in this pic of the engine stand, but the crane folds up the same way, with the legs going over center and angling back a bit and the boom going almost straight down.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has to stack washers on the mounting bolt to the block to get the correct length. I have bought the correct length several times it seems like but by the time I need them they have been used for something else.

Turning it around would work as long as the legs of the hoist aren't in the way building the engine where you would trip over them.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has to stack washers on the mounting bolt to the block to get the correct length. I have bought the correct length several times it seems like but by the time I need them they have been used for something else.

Turning it around would work as long as the legs of the hoist aren't in the way building the engine where you would trip over them.

LOL! Yes, I had to use washers. This is a one-size-sorta-fits-all thing, and those never fit anything well.

As for length, you are right that the legs are going to be in the way. But that may be preferable to the pain of having to dream up ways to get the legs to miss each other. That's been a major issue every time I pulled an engine.

.... So, why not put the engine stand on the shop crane the other way 'round? Meaning point the flywheel toward the front of the shop crane. That way you don't have to set it down nor turn it around. Any problem with that?....

I haven't used a shop crane much (I've shown my redneck engine hoist before). But would that mean bringing the crane in from the rear of the truck? Unless I'm not getting what you are asking that seems like it would require a pretty big shop crane!

(my redneck engine hoist)

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n54374/DSC_7801.jpg

.... So, why not put the engine stand on the shop crane the other way 'round? Meaning point the flywheel toward the front of the shop crane. That way you don't have to set it down nor turn it around. Any problem with that?....

I haven't used a shop crane much (I've shown my redneck engine hoist before). But would that mean bringing the crane in from the rear of the truck? Unless I'm not getting what you are asking that seems like it would require a pretty big shop crane!

Bob - No, the crane comes in from the front. Then the engine stand is placed on the legs and the engine lowered down and bolted to the stand. Then the boom can be retracted and lowered so it is out of the way.

The advantage is that there's no problem with the legs of the crane hitting the stand. Just lower the engine, slide the stand up to it, and bolt them together.

The disadvantage is that the overall combo will be quite long.

Now that's a true "shade tree mechanic"!

Did you think about getting a swivel hook on the end of the hoist chain?

I thought about a swivel hook, but then I decided there wasn't any reason not to reverse the engine stand. And I like having the engine fairly well constrained so it won't swing and hit the vehicle.

.... So, why not put the engine stand on the shop crane the other way 'round? ....

Ya know, if you read ALL the words it makes a lot more sense! I had read "why not put the engine on the shop crane the other way 'round?" I couldn't make that work out for me.

So to give you my answer to the question you ACTUALLY asked... I haven't use an engine stand any more than I've used a shop crane. But it seems to me that I'd want to be working on the front of the engine more often than the back, and the crane would be more in the way like that.

Of course it would make it easier to get at the back of the engine for attaching it or removing it from the stand. And it would be a wash for working on the sides, top or bottom, which are more common locations to work than the front. So it probably wouldn't be much worse, and the convenience of being able to go directly from the truck to the hoist might make it a better option overall.

.... So, why not put the engine stand on the shop crane the other way 'round? ....

Ya know, if you read ALL the words it makes a lot more sense! I had read "why not put the engine on the shop crane the other way 'round?" I couldn't make that work out for me.

So to give you my answer to the question you ACTUALLY asked... I haven't use an engine stand any more than I've used a shop crane. But it seems to me that I'd want to be working on the front of the engine more often than the back, and the crane would be more in the way like that.

Of course it would make it easier to get at the back of the engine for attaching it or removing it from the stand. And it would be a wash for working on the sides, top or bottom, which are more common locations to work than the front. So it probably wouldn't be much worse, and the convenience of being able to go directly from the truck to the hoist might make it a better option overall.

LOL! That explains the question.

I'll see if I can take some measurements today, but I don't think there will be an issue with getting to the front of the engine. I say that because I'm sure the boom will be extended to at least the 2nd if not the 3rd notch, which puts the engine, and engine stand, out quite a ways. So when the engine is on the stand the boom can be retracted and dropped almost straight down, giving a lot of room.

But that also means the whole contraption will be that much longer in the shop as the legs can't be pulled in, much less folded, while the engine is sitting on them. So it isn't a good solution for long-term storage, but may not be too bad for R&R work.

LOL! That explains the question.

I'll see if I can take some measurements today, but I don't think there will be an issue with getting to the front of the engine. I say that because I'm sure the boom will be extended to at least the 2nd if not the 3rd notch, which puts the engine, and engine stand, out quite a ways. So when the engine is on the stand the boom can be retracted and dropped almost straight down, giving a lot of room.

But that also means the whole contraption will be that much longer in the shop as the legs can't be pulled in, much less folded, while the engine is sitting on them. So it isn't a good solution for long-term storage, but may not be too bad for R&R work.

I have one of these stand combos. And yes swivel the engine 180 degrees and mount to the stand part. Works fine. It also folds up when not being used...