Bullnose Forums

Operation NP435 & Over Drive

FuzzFace2

Did they say there would be chips or are you contacting them?

Nope not a thing anywhere from them or others.

I guess I should talk to them to CMA should it crap out on me.

Gives me something to do today when they open :nabble_smiley_good:

I like that Redline MT90 oil. It was recommended to put in my 4Runner manual transmission.

An improvement in cold, hot and in between shifting!

I don't think I would have issues when cold as it does not get that cold here.

What does worry me is the Lucas oil I put in the trans is rated GL-4 / GL-5 and they say the GL-5 is not good for yellow metal in trans.

Now someone said use Purple Max as it said will not hurt yellow metal but I looked at it yesterday and it is rated GL-4 / GL-5, the same as Lucas but has on the "bottle will not hurt" so what gives?

I did find on the shelf Penzoil rated for GL-3 could that be used?

Dave ----

Redline MT90 is recommended for GL1, 3 and 4 applications.

IIRC that was the reason it was recommended for the Toyota manual transmission.

Redline MT90 is recommended for GL1, 3 and 4 applications.

IIRC that was the reason it was recommended for the Toyota manual transmission.

I have to thank Gary & members that have helped me not only on this project but the whole project :nabble_anim_handshake:

The BW T18 drive gear DOES swap with the NP435 drive gear!

Got out to the garage about 4:30am and first pulled the good gear from the T18 as I installed this not long ago to get the speedo working with help from Gary.

I then wanted to make sure the new speedo cable was longer before pulling the old one out of the truck and it was. So I pulled the old cable with out pulling the cluster.

I was able to just pull on cable at the cluster and it came right off :nabble_smiley_good: Going back on was not as easy. Took about an hour and was just about to give up and pull the cluster and it popped on :nabble_anim_jump: More than long enough to make nice big looping bends.

Then on to pulling the trail housing and the drive gear. It made a little bigger mess than I wanted as the housing had a lot of gear oil in it. When trying to get the old gear off I was worried the good one would not fit because the snap ring was tight on the full shaft where the T18 the snap ring once pulled out of the groove came right off. Once I had both gears in hand I could see they were the same.

Going back on the snap ring fought me the whole way and the metal ball that keeps the drive gear from turning on the shaft (think key way) fell out :nabble_smiley_cry: With the oil & oil dry on the ground I had a hard time finding it but did.

Used a little gasket sealer on the housing side and got it back up and bolted down, mount back in place and drive shaft back on.

I also pickup a back up light switch pig tail as the one on the truck was bad and I spliced on a Weather pack plug but it did not fit tight on the trans so I have wire ties holding it in place.

I used butt connectors with shrink wrap on them to make it weather tight.

I then used 1/4" plastic wire wrap from switch to plug on frame because the factory coving was cracked and open in places.

Before getting it off jack stands I ran it thru the gears and the speedo works :nabble_anim_jump:

It was now 9am and my lovely wife had breakfast ready for me.

I went back outto cut the OD slot a little more because when shifted into OD the stick hit the pan a little so I gave it more room. I then cleaned out the mess I made.

I have not road tested yet, got to do a trash run, but I don't see why speedo would not work.

I will report what the RPMs are at what MPHs when I get it on the road more.

Thanks again every one

Dave ----

I have to thank Gary & members that have helped me not only on this project but the whole project :nabble_anim_handshake:

Got out to the garage about 4:30am and first pulled the good gear from the T18 as I installed this not long ago to get the speedo working with help from Gary.

I then wanted to make sure the new speedo cable was longer before pulling the old one out of the truck and it was. So I pulled the old cable with out pulling the cluster.

I was able to just pull on cable at the cluster and it came right off :nabble_smiley_good: Going back on was not as easy. Took about an hour and was just about to give up and pull the cluster and it popped on :nabble_anim_jump: More than long enough to make nice big looping bends.

Then on to pulling the trail housing and the drive gear. It made a little bigger mess than I wanted as the housing had a lot of gear oil in it. When trying to get the old gear off I was worried the good one would not fit because the snap ring was tight on the full shaft where the T18 the snap ring once pulled out of the groove came right off. Once I had both gears in hand I could see they were the same.

Going back on the snap ring fought me the whole way and the metal ball that keeps the drive gear from turning on the shaft (think key way) fell out :nabble_smiley_cry: With the oil & oil dry on the ground I had a hard time finding it but did.

Used a little gasket sealer on the housing side and got it back up and bolted down, mount back in place and drive shaft back on.

I also pickup a back up light switch pig tail as the one on the truck was bad and I spliced on a Weather pack plug but it did not fit tight on the trans so I have wire ties holding it in place.

I then used 1/4" plastic wire wrap from switch to plug on frame because the factory coving was cracked and open in places.

Before getting it off jack stands I ran it thru the gears and the speedo works :nabble_anim_jump:

I went back outto cut the OD slot a little more because when shifted into OD the stick hit the pan a little so I gave it more room. I then cleaned out the mess I made.

I have not road tested yet, got to do a trash run, but I don't see why speedo would not work.

Thanks again every one

Dave ----

:nabble_smiley_good:Good morning's work! Look forward to hearing the results from your road test and new fuel efficiency numbers.

Thanks again every one

Dave ----

Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

Glad it worked out and you probably out driving the wheels off of it. Looking forward to the report.

:nabble_smiley_good:Good morning's work! Look forward to hearing the results from your road test and new fuel efficiency numbers.

Well this fill up has some miles on it without a way to track just how far I drove it so the number may have to wait LOL

Glad it worked out and you probably out driving the wheels off of it. Looking forward to the report.

Loaded the trash in the back and it is maybe 5 miles each way and only put it into OD on the way back just to see, 45 MPH is like 1200-1300 RPM think 55 MPH was think 1500 or a little more, both in OD.

It is getting hot so driving the truck with out AC much is not likely.

I need to have a rider to write down the MPH and RPM in & out of OD because I cant remember it all and to write when driving is not cool.

Dave ----

Well this fill up has some miles on it without a way to track just how far I drove it so the number may have to wait LOL

Loaded the trash in the back and it is maybe 5 miles each way and only put it into OD on the way back just to see, 45 MPH is like 1200-1300 RPM think 55 MPH was think 1500 or a little more, both in OD.

It is getting hot so driving the truck with out AC much is not likely.

I need to have a rider to write down the MPH and RPM in & out of OD because I cant remember it all and to write when driving is not cool.

Dave ----

If only I had the real estate in the bronco for this option. I am very jealous. It would be high on the list of items to add, but I am afraid the rear driveshaft would be much too short at 7 inches shorter.

If only I had the real estate in the bronco for this option. I am very jealous. It would be high on the list of items to add, but I am afraid the rear driveshaft would be much too short at 7 inches shorter.

If you remove 7" from the rear shaft how short would it be?

Might have to lower the transfer case and turn the rear housing up a little to save Ujoints.

Same thing you have to do on lifted trucks.

I did take the truck to work one morning and it is nice to do 70+ that the traffic was doing and not have the motor turning high RPM. At about 70 MPH it was turning about 1800 RPM.

IIRC when running 55 MPH with out the over drive it was turning the same RPM.

I will get RPM / MPH both in & out of OD to compare them.

I got the rubber boots but got lazy today when I got home from work to fit them to see just how I want to go.

1 boot is a 2 for 1 deal and looks like it will work to cover both sticks and look real custom.

The other way is 2 different boots that will kind of over lap and I don't think would look that nice.

I will get pictures of the boots when I get to working on it again think this weekend.

Dave ----

If you remove 7" from the rear shaft how short would it be?

Might have to lower the transfer case and turn the rear housing up a little to save Ujoints.

Same thing you have to do on lifted trucks.

I did take the truck to work one morning and it is nice to do 70+ that the traffic was doing and not have the motor turning high RPM. At about 70 MPH it was turning about 1800 RPM.

IIRC when running 55 MPH with out the over drive it was turning the same RPM.

I will get RPM / MPH both in & out of OD to compare them.

I got the rubber boots but got lazy today when I got home from work to fit them to see just how I want to go.

1 boot is a 2 for 1 deal and looks like it will work to cover both sticks and look real custom.

The other way is 2 different boots that will kind of over lap and I don't think would look that nice.

I will get pictures of the boots when I get to working on it again think this weekend.

Dave ----

You really need to keep the joint angles the same on both ends so the shaft remains in phase.

You can't just wedge the diff and think it isn't going to let loose sooner than later.

This is why a double cardan joint is used on short shafts and lifted trucks.

You really need to keep the joint angles the same on both ends so the shaft remains in phase.

You can't just wedge the diff and think it isn't going to let loose sooner than later.

This is why a double cardan joint is used on short shafts and lifted trucks.

My bronco already has a double cardigan style. It has been shortened once already before my ownership when the 10.25 axle was installed. I had thought that was 1.5 inches shorter. I would honestly have to put a tape measure on it to see what length it is at currently. Perhaps when it comes out next week I will look.

My bronco already has a double cardigan style. It has been shortened once already before my ownership when the 10.25 axle was installed. I had thought that was 1.5 inches shorter. I would honestly have to put a tape measure on it to see what length it is at currently. Perhaps when it comes out next week I will look.

Don't you need to have a drive shaft made for the T19 install?

Dave ----