Bullnose Forums

Fuel tank thoughts

Since the diverter valve (valve to switch between tanks) goes out and most people just stop using one of the tanks. Does anyone know of a bigger fuel tank that could get mounted in?

I am working on fixing my truck up and thought about shaving one of the tank doors if I could put in a bigger tank. Maybe a bronoc tank or Chevy suburban tank. So right now it’s just a thought.

The big rear tank is pretty common, the Bronco tank too but you'll lose the spare tire, and for the Bronco you need to move the crossmember.

Yes, I have a 38 gallon rear tank that is going on Big Blue. The spare is way too heavy to put under there anyway, so I might as well.

For my sons 78 F150, we got the 35 gallon tank with the new strap kit for around $200.00 from LMC. That 351C, 4X4 Edelbroc 4bbl and C6 trans...……..and a size 13 lead foot, he needed a tank bigger then 19 gallons.

With everything in the kit it was a bolt in swap.

For my sons 78 F150, we got the 35 gallon tank with the new strap kit for around $200.00 from LMC. That 351C, 4X4 Edelbroc 4bbl and C6 trans...……..and a size 13 lead foot, he needed a tank bigger then 19 gallons.

With everything in the kit it was a bolt in swap.

What did he do with the spare tire?

Even with out a size 13 foot and the motor / trans (300 six / T18) he has just think what a 16 gallon tank does for us flare side guys :nabble_smiley_cry:

I am happy I added the 19 gallon rear tank from my parts truck.

Dave ----

I didn’t know LMC sold a 38 gal tank. But I guess I have to admit I really didn’t look. I have been buying replacement panels from them. Thanks for the response.

I think originally the 38 gallon tank was a replacement for a 32 gallon tank on a Bronco. But it fits an F-Series so that's what I'm going with. So with the 19 gallon mid-ship tank I'll have a 57 gallon capacity, and even with a 460 I might be able to pass a gas station or two. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think originally the 38 gallon tank was a replacement for a 32 gallon tank on a Bronco. But it fits an F-Series so that's what I'm going with. So with the 19 gallon mid-ship tank I'll have a 57 gallon capacity, and even with a 460 I might be able to pass a gas station or two. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That is a good thought. 57 gal of fuel should keep her running as long as the lead foot stays out of it.

Wish ford had a drop in motor like the LS more power and easy to work on. My little 302 gets 14mpg just don’t have enough to get out of its own way.

That is a good thought. 57 gal of fuel should keep her running as long as the lead foot stays out of it.

Wish ford had a drop in motor like the LS more power and easy to work on. My little 302 gets 14mpg just don’t have enough to get out of its own way.

I don't think I'll lack for power. Scotty said no one has complained about a lack of power with that engine from him.

As for the 14 MPG, that's my optimistic estimate. I could get 11.5 - 12.0 MPG with the worn out engine and T-19. So I'm hoping that a fresh engine with a ZF5's overdrive will bump it up to, hopefully, 14.