Bullnose Forums

Cleaning Out An Old Fuel Tank

Bruno2

I was curious as what to do in order to clean out the fuel tanks on Jr. In the past we had radiator shops that could vat them and then seal the inside. However the radiator shops are a thing of the past.

I don't want to add new fuel to any contaminants that may be In there. I plan on having a smooth start up and break in with this flat rapper cam. So I want nothing but good fuel going in the motor.

Replace the tanks. I spent a lot of time and money trying to clean the tank on that '82 white Explorer I had, and never did really get it clean. My brother, his son, and I put a chain in it and about 2 gallons of gas and sloshed it for 5 minutes. Then we dumped that and did it again - at least five times. And each time the gas came out yukky.

We finally gave up and I put gas in and tried to use it. The accelerator discharge nozzles on the 2150 were the things to plug, even with two filters in series. Looking back on it I'd have been time and money ahead to have replaced the tank.

Replace the tanks. I spent a lot of time and money trying to clean the tank on that '82 white Explorer I had, and never did really get it clean. My brother, his son, and I put a chain in it and about 2 gallons of gas and sloshed it for 5 minutes. Then we dumped that and did it again - at least five times. And each time the gas came out yukky.

We finally gave up and I put gas in and tried to use it. The accelerator discharge nozzles on the 2150 were the things to plug, even with two filters in series. Looking back on it I'd have been time and money ahead to have replaced the tank.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1982,f-150,5.8l+351cid+v8,1121308,fuel+&+air,fuel+tank,6268

How do I know which ones I need?

I will second that, we just had the tank on the Chevstang done because it had set for probably 6 years with a damn near full tank of the lovely Iowa corn farmer's blend in it. Just a bit yucky.

Looking in through the hole the Camaro pump goes in.

IMG_1843.thumb.jpg.9daccc03570b3ba1548590a042c3293d.jpg

IMG_1844.thumb.jpg.0da2fb4bcf51be2823e744945acc8c58.jpg

IMG_1832.thumb.jpg.05bc9884719cf96c186dbbca9b40e57c.jpg

Looks like it probably has a 19 gallon midship and a 19 gallon aft axle.

Ok, So I have a 1982 F 150 Super Cab with the 155" wheelbase.

According to the link you sent My Aft Axle tank is a 19 gallon E0TZ 9002-D

My midship tank should be a 19 gallon E3TZ 9002-M.

If anybody sees something contradictory let me know please.

Thank you!

Looks like it probably has a 19 gallon midship and a 19 gallon aft axle.

This is how you clean fuel tanks LOL

If you have a tank you cannot get a replacement for I do know of a service that will cut it open clean the inside, weld it back up and they coat the inside, bake it, coat & bake a 2nd time then coat the outside and bake. Had it done to my 70 Javelin as they do not make a take for it and both of mine had rust holes.

Dave ----

Thank you!

This makes sense.

Where are you getting your tanks?

Thank you!

I found some from Spectra on Rockauto. They are about $70 ea. However, after shipping it brings both tanks within $10 to the Dorman's I found on Amazon. I like Dorman and think they have good products. I am probably going to go with the Dorman units unless somebody has other advice.