Bullnose Forums

84 xlt starter issues after running for a few minutes

gary-will keep the replies on the forum format.

thx for the heads up.

bill

Which starter did you order? I ask because if it is a PMGR unit you may want to change the wiring on the truck. Read about that at Documentation/Electrical/PMGR Starter Wiring.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which starter did you order? I ask because if it is a PMGR unit you may want to change the wiring on the truck. Read about that at Documentation/Electrical/PMGR Starter Wiring.

hello.

it is;

Powermaster Mastertorque Starters 9603

thx.

bill

hello.

it is;

Powermaster Mastertorque Starters 9603

thx.

bill

That's a PMGR starter, so you may want to change the wiring. It isn't required, but that starter has its own relay in it, so you can use the relay on the fender to trigger the one in the starter, as described on that page.

That's a PMGR starter, so you may want to change the wiring. It isn't required, but that starter has its own relay in it, so you can use the relay on the fender to trigger the one in the starter, as described on that page.

Gary,

That starter has a SOLENOID on it.

The truck has a relay on the inside of the fender.

The difference is that the relay is only making electrical contact.

The solenoid actuates a lever that engages the starter gear -and- at the end of its stroke the copper shoe makes contact, sending power to the motor.

Gary,

The solenoid actuates a lever that engages the starter gear -and- at the end of its stroke the copper shoe makes contact, sending power to the motor.

Welcome!

Could be timing advanced too far.

hello and thanks for the insight.

i have been reading about timing being a possible cause as well.

will check that out also.

It might be good to note whether your ignition timing is being retarded while the starter is engaged.

Do you have a DuraSpark or TFI ignition?

Gary,

Very true.

Gary,

I have not looked at the wiring link but I don't see why it would make a difference if the large starter cable was moved to the other side of the relay on the fender with the battery cable and a 10ga wire run from the output of the trucks relay to the PMGR trigger lug.

This way the relay is only supplying trigger power to the PMGR starter unlike it was with the Ford factory set up.

My drag car's PMGR starter is wired this way and works great.

Dave ----

Gary,

I have not looked at the wiring link but I don't see why it would make a difference if the large starter cable was moved to the other side of the relay on the fender with the battery cable and a 10ga wire run from the output of the trucks relay to the PMGR trigger lug.

This way the relay is only supplying trigger power to the PMGR starter unlike it was with the Ford factory set up.

My drag car's PMGR starter is wired this way and works great.

Dave ----

Yep, that's what our page shows:

mini-starter-wiring_orig.jpg.21fec6079ea2477c5183618c55e3c397.jpg