Bullnose Forums

Air compressor - is it still a must have tool?

CountryBumkin

My Air Compressor is one of my most useful tools I have - and also the biggest pain in the butt sometimes. I use my Compressor to power my 1/2" and 3/4" Impact Wrenches, multiple blow guns, several air-grinders, air-chisel, and an air-nibbler.

However with more powerful battery-powered tools coming out now, I'm wondering just how important the Air Compressor will be in the future home shop.

I've now seen 18 and 20V battery powered Impact Wrenches that can remove about any bolt on our trucks - that my 1/2 drive IR can remove.

What do you think? Will there be a switch from Air to Battery powered in the near future?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting question. Last night several of us at church were discussing a very similar topic, although it was about battery-powered leaf blowers.

I have the biggest Ridgid 1/2" 18v impact and it is pretty stout, turning out a theoretical 325 ft-lbs. But it doesn't hold a candle to my air-powered Harbor Freight EarthquakeXT that says it'll put out 1190 ft-lbs. And I've found things even on Big Blue that were put on recently by some ham-handed gorilla and the Ridgid won't pull off - like the front spring shackles. But the Earthquake makes short work of them.

So, I'd say a compressor is still a must-have tool. Besides, if you get into media-blasting you'll need compressed air, and lots thereof.

Interesting question. Last night several of us at church were discussing a very similar topic, although it was about battery-powered leaf blowers.

I have the biggest Ridgid 1/2" 18v impact and it is pretty stout, turning out a theoretical 325 ft-lbs. But it doesn't hold a candle to my air-powered Harbor Freight EarthquakeXT that says it'll put out 1190 ft-lbs. And I've found things even on Big Blue that were put on recently by some ham-handed gorilla and the Ridgid won't pull off - like the front spring shackles. But the Earthquake makes short work of them.

So, I'd say a compressor is still a must-have tool. Besides, if you get into media-blasting you'll need compressed air, and lots thereof.

I have several air tools I use on a regular basis, angle grinder, frame or bumper lift, die grinder, tire machine & air nozzle for blowing out passages plus the biggest reason for needing one, pumping up tires especially those 215/85R-16 ones on Darth (all 7 of them).

I have several air tools I use on a regular basis, angle grinder, frame or bumper lift, die grinder, tire machine & air nozzle for blowing out passages plus the biggest reason for needing one, pumping up tires especially those 215/85R-16 ones on Darth (all 7 of them).

True, but a small portable air compressor is enough for tires (and you can take it with you on road trips).

Having a Shop Air Compressor is great. But is this something you would recommend to someone just starting out in home auto mechanics? Maybe it's on the wish list along with the sand blaster and tire changing machine, but further down the list.

Personally, I would go for the "Lift" first (with a battery-powered Impact Wrench) if I had the space for it. But. then again, a Lift is more of a comfort item than a necessity.

True, but a small portable air compressor is enough for tires (and you can take it with you on road trips).

Having a Shop Air Compressor is great. But is this something you would recommend to someone just starting out in home auto mechanics? Maybe it's on the wish list along with the sand blaster and tire changing machine, but further down the list.

Personally, I would go for the "Lift" first (with a battery-powered Impact Wrench) if I had the space for it. But. then again, a Lift is more of a comfort item than a necessity.

I'm not sure I fully agree on the "comfort" aspect of the lift. I swapped front half-shafts on our Subie once without the lift and then with it. It was almost impossible to get enough leverage with the car on jack stands to pop the upper ball joint out. I spent half of a day thrashing around on the floor before getting it done. But when I did it on the lift I could come straight down on the pry bar and it came right out.

And swapping a ZF5 into a truck would be tough w/o a lift. Those rascals are TALL and HEAVY, and you'd have to have the truck really high to get the tranny under if it was on a dolly, much less a tranny jack.

But, normally it is a comfort tool.

I'm not sure I fully agree on the "comfort" aspect of the lift. I swapped front half-shafts on our Subie once without the lift and then with it. It was almost impossible to get enough leverage with the car on jack stands to pop the upper ball joint out. I spent half of a day thrashing around on the floor before getting it done. But when I did it on the lift I could come straight down on the pry bar and it came right out.

And swapping a ZF5 into a truck would be tough w/o a lift. Those rascals are TALL and HEAVY, and you'd have to have the truck really high to get the tranny under if it was on a dolly, much less a tranny jack.

But, normally it is a comfort tool.

I have a portable (12 volt) compressor, but, damn near burned it up trying to pump up one of those nice little 215/85R-16 tires to 75 psi for the rear on Darth.

I have a portable (12 volt) compressor, but, damn near burned it up trying to pump up one of those nice little 215/85R-16 tires to 75 psi for the rear on Darth.

I'm making do without a shop compressor right now.

The 5Ah 20V battery and the 1820 converter worked with my DeWalt impact gun to get the lugs off my truck last week when I replaced the hubs and rotors.

But there is no replacement for blasting, painting or getting a bead to seat.

I'm making do without a shop compressor right now.

The 5Ah 20V battery and the 1820 converter worked with my DeWalt impact gun to get the lugs off my truck last week when I replaced the hubs and rotors.

But there is no replacement for blasting, painting or getting a bead to seat.

A 12volt compressor to blow up truck tires is not the way to go as you might get 2 blown up before it burns out like said.

I do painting with a spray gun, have 3 or 4 of them for different jobs so I need a compressor.

I also ran air piping around my shop with 5 drops after the home made air dryer and not going to give that up any time soon.

Beside I have a LOT of air tools and no spare money to buy batt. tools.

Now if I did any JY runs the batt. tools might be a blessing.

BTW the only batt tool I have is a Roby drill because I needed to drill some holes and my tools did not et to the house yet. It is handy but if needing to drill a lot or big holes the old corded drill is the way to go.

Dave ----

A 12volt compressor to blow up truck tires is not the way to go as you might get 2 blown up before it burns out like said.

I do painting with a spray gun, have 3 or 4 of them for different jobs so I need a compressor.

I also ran air piping around my shop with 5 drops after the home made air dryer and not going to give that up any time soon.

Beside I have a LOT of air tools and no spare money to buy batt. tools.

Now if I did any JY runs the batt. tools might be a blessing.

BTW the only batt tool I have is a Roby drill because I needed to drill some holes and my tools did not et to the house yet. It is handy but if needing to drill a lot or big holes the old corded drill is the way to go.

Dave ----

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a York or Tecumseh air conditioning compressor mounted under the hood as an air compressor. Here's how Luke did it on Big Blackie, and I'd like to do that on Big Blue - at a later date. I have a couple of the cast iron ones, but a buddy has a couple of spare aluminum ones, and that's what I want to use.

And, by the way, for those attending the GTG, Big Blackie is supposed to be in attendance. Can't wait! :nabble_anim_jump:

TopView.jpg.5014b11293ea69de89124b04af5fc4ed.jpg