Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

I may try something within that, not sure yet. For now I ordered a heat sink that most others use. But I may try and hollow out and use the DS housing for a cool effect/factory look.

But it makes sense to me. It starts and acts like it usually does then after a minute, I guess from it getting hot after working for a bit, and the idles real low. I guess I can go turn it on and let it go for awhile to double check.

Went out and let it idle and everything was fine. Did the 2 mile loop and it's still popping.. and it wants to move. It'll pull hard, pop, then loose some power then pull hard again, and repeat. It's not like a loud pop either, just a interruption in the exhaust and a faint pop..it also only happens on the passenger side..

Went out and let it idle and everything was fine. Did the 2 mile loop and it's still popping.. and it wants to move. It'll pull hard, pop, then loose some power then pull hard again, and repeat. It's not like a loud pop either, just a interruption in the exhaust and a faint pop..it also only happens on the passenger side..

You could move your crankshaft and see how the rotor in the distributor responds.

On my 460 it’s a 15/16 socket. Don’t know about your 302.

Just thinking maybe something is amiss in the distributor. Might also check the pickup in the distributor.

I think you may have either a DS-II module problem or a problem with the pickup in the coil. If you have a salvage around pick up a blue-grommet module, and preferably one from Motorcraft. Swap that in and see if it changes anything.

I think you may have either a DS-II module problem or a problem with the pickup in the coil. If you have a salvage around pick up a blue-grommet module, and preferably one from Motorcraft. Swap that in and see if it changes anything.

Well when I took someone along to listen to it for their opinion, it really didn't do it that much.. it did it a couple times and they were lighter, still noticeable. All seem to think ignition though. Not sure why I only hear it on the passenger side though. Duals that exit out the side sure are loud on the trip..but are helpful in some cases.

Well when I took someone along to listen to it for their opinion, it really didn't do it that much.. it did it a couple times and they were lighter, still noticeable. All seem to think ignition though. Not sure why I only hear it on the passenger side though. Duals that exit out the side sure are loud on the trip..but are helpful in some cases.

I have gone through so many different threads its hard to know just what all you have done to the truck to this point but have you had the valve covers off and if so with out the motor running crank the motor over and see if all the rockers are moving the same amount.

A flat cam shaft lobe can cause some popping.

Cap, rotor, wires and plugs been replaced?

If plugs what plugs are you using hope nothing other than the normal copper plugs, them fancy plugs can cause issues.

BTW I have had newish plugs in a motor and 1 went bad. It idled great but bring the RPM up and it would pop out the exh. Because the motor sits long times between running I was thinking a stuck valve but a compression test did not show that.

If the wires were not replaced you could be getting cross firing.

An easy check on wires for leakage is when it is dark use a spray bottle of water and spray the wires from cap to plugs.

If you see a light show they are leaking and need to be replaced.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Dave ----

I have gone through so many different threads its hard to know just what all you have done to the truck to this point but have you had the valve covers off and if so with out the motor running crank the motor over and see if all the rockers are moving the same amount.

A flat cam shaft lobe can cause some popping.

Cap, rotor, wires and plugs been replaced?

If plugs what plugs are you using hope nothing other than the normal copper plugs, them fancy plugs can cause issues.

BTW I have had newish plugs in a motor and 1 went bad. It idled great but bring the RPM up and it would pop out the exh. Because the motor sits long times between running I was thinking a stuck valve but a compression test did not show that.

If the wires were not replaced you could be getting cross firing.

An easy check on wires for leakage is when it is dark use a spray bottle of water and spray the wires from cap to plugs.

If you see a light show they are leaking and need to be replaced.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Dave ----

I would say it's definitely ignition. Though a rocker did come loose on that side when I first got this motor in. May check it again but there's no other signs like before when it was tapping.

But I say ignition because on the way to the tire shop to get it aligned and bushings put in, the slight pop got less and a new problem presented. It started randomly cutting out like someone was turning the key on and off really quick. It would do it for like 10 seconds every now and then. It wouldn't surprise me if the module is bad again. I ordered another AC Delco one from oreillys.. double the price but at least I can switch them out with the warranty.

I would say it's definitely ignition. Though a rocker did come loose on that side when I first got this motor in. May check it again but there's no other signs like before when it was tapping.

But I say ignition because on the way to the tire shop to get it aligned and bushings put in, the slight pop got less and a new problem presented. It started randomly cutting out like someone was turning the key on and off really quick. It would do it for like 10 seconds every now and then. It wouldn't surprise me if the module is bad again. I ordered another AC Delco one from oreillys.. double the price but at least I can switch them out with the warranty.

If you are consistently losing ignition modules you may either have the wrong coil or a wiring problem.

If you are consistently losing ignition modules you may either have the wrong coil or a wiring problem.

I'm gonna put the AC Delco one on and see from there. I know it's new but I'm not gonna completely trust the Standard one when it has 1.8 stars and different issues from high RPMs to just idle or weird things here and there in the reviews.

I did have a fuel injected TFI coil and I have a new one from Holley but it's still the same TFI style.

I'm gonna put the AC Delco one on and see from there. I know it's new but I'm not gonna completely trust the Standard one when it has 1.8 stars and different issues from high RPMs to just idle or weird things here and there in the reviews.

I did have a fuel injected TFI coil and I have a new one from Holley but it's still the same TFI style.

Yeah, that low impedance coil is going to overwhelm the switching transistor in a DSII module.

Yeah, that low impedance coil is going to overwhelm the switching transistor in a DSII module.

Yep. That's why the modules are failing. The resistance of the TFI coil is just too low and, therefore, the current the module has to sink is too high. It is simply a question of when the module will fail rather than if.