Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

I would think it would be that easy, but since I have the fixed yoke, is that possible? I guess it would be in the front, but the rear has that double joint that I don't think the cross comes out. From what I could tell, that cross was built into it, it could be dirty and I can move the outer ones but as far as I could tell, that joint was built in and if I took that off the driveshaft would be too short.

The double cardan goes to the transfer case in a Bronco, and the universals are indeed replaceable.

The double cardan goes to the transfer case in a Bronco, and the universals are indeed replaceable.

If you have the clips out and can't budge it with a hammer and socket in a bench vise you might try a ball joint press.

It's recommended to use a hydraulic press, but not all of us have one.

If you have the clips out and can't budge it with a hammer and socket in a bench vise you might try a ball joint press.

It's recommended to use a hydraulic press, but not all of us have one.

My friend Bills Bronco uses a 1310-1330 bastard U-joint. #434

(I just looked up my purchase history)

It has inside c-clips on two cups and snap rings on the other two.

I think it takes a #354 on the other end.

At least they are both on the same sales ticket, and I remember it being a pita to press that joint out.

I was going to say I have never seen that joint any place other than at the transmission or transfer case.

Maybe that is the problem, putting the drive shaft in backwards :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

I was going to say I have never seen that joint any place other than at the transmission or transfer case.

Maybe that is the problem, putting the drive shaft in backwards :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

I notice that JBG has a kit with all three joints and that funky ball and socket, but they don't have the rubber dust boot...

THAT number is 2-86-418

But I think it's only Spicer and Neapco that have it.

I would think it would be that easy, but since I have the fixed yoke, is that possible? I guess it would be in the front, but the rear has that double joint that I don't think the cross comes out. From what I could tell, that cross was built into it, it could be dirty and I can move the outer ones but as far as I could tell, that joint was built in and if I took that off the driveshaft would be too short.

How about showing us some pics?

Yeah I'm sure the using the word cross was not the best. I knew that they u joint were replaceable in those. But these photos will show what I'm talking about. The front uses straps, so I'm sure that will be easy as obviously the can just be moved wherever. The back uses this solid piece, so when I tried to bolt it up, it was no where close when I aligned one side with the transfer case.

Screenshot_20210314-112147_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1be5fa27ccae3717826a25d30b3cb28d.jpg

Screenshot_20210314-112218_Chrome.thumb.jpg.633ebbc931f0fda8a4c7cafe36aa9b4f.jpg

I now know it is the driveshaft centering yoke that I'm talking about. It's a solid piece behind it that bolts up to the case. It looks like apparently you can take it out. I couldn't see anything since it would be behind the joint. So maybe I could somehow find that.

Yeah I'm sure the using the word cross was not the best. I knew that they u joint were replaceable in those. But these photos will show what I'm talking about. The front uses straps, so I'm sure that will be easy as obviously the can just be moved wherever. The back uses this solid piece, so when I tried to bolt it up, it was no where close when I aligned one side with the transfer case.

I now know it is the driveshaft centering yoke that I'm talking about. It's a solid piece behind it that bolts up to the case. It looks like apparently you can take it out. I couldn't see anything since it would be behind the joint. So maybe I could somehow find that.

Remember, when you put all the pieces back together they have to be in exact same orientation as they came apart.

So be sure to mark everything with a silver sharpie, or some other inedible marker.

Are you sure you have the correct universal, installed correctly???

I understand how it goes together.

I'm just having a hard time following you.

Remember, when you put all the pieces back together they have to be in exact same orientation as they came apart.

So be sure to mark everything with a silver sharpie, or some other inedible marker.

Are you sure you have the correct universal, installed correctly???

I understand how it goes together.

I'm just having a hard time following you.

I'll have to take a picture when I get home. The only u joint I've touched is the front one since it came apart on me. The rear just unbolted from the case and that's where it's stayed, haven't touched it.

I'll have to take a picture when I get home. The only u joint I've touched is the front one since it came apart on me. The rear just unbolted from the case and that's where it's stayed, haven't touched it.

I'm just saying these things are balanced as a unit.

So you really need to keep them in phase.