Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

Well that's interesting haha.

It only bounces under 20mph, after that it's steady. I just noticed it driving around the yard yesterday and took it on the highway a bit ago to see about the transmission.

If my app is right, the speedo says 60mph and I'm actually going 75mph sooo just a tiinyyy difference that will need to be adjusted haha.

After I installed the over drive unit mine did the same thing and it was good before that.

Thing was the OD unit pushed the trans back and pulled the cable a little tighter.

I replaced the cable with a little longer one and it was good, no bouncing but ..........

A week ago I pulled the gauge cluster to fix some lights that stopped working and found the speedo was not on the cluster all the way.

When putting everything back together I found the the inner cable was too long so you could not get the upper part on the cluster.

Because of how the inner cable is made you cant make it shorter at the cluster so I made it shorter at the trans gear end.

Well it now bounces at 30 MPH or lower but is ok above that.

I dont know if I have to trim a little more of the inner cable or if the whole cable is making a tight turn some where?

I have not been that worried about it at this time to look into it.

Dave ----

Well that's interesting haha.

It only bounces under 20mph, after that it's steady. I just noticed it driving around the yard yesterday and took it on the highway a bit ago to see about the transmission.

If my app is right, the speedo says 60mph and I'm actually going 75mph sooo just a tiinyyy difference that will need to be adjusted haha.

After I installed the over drive unit mine did the same thing and it was good before that.

Thing was the OD unit pushed the trans back and pulled the cable a little tighter.

I replaced the cable with a little longer one and it was good, no bouncing but ..........

A week ago I pulled the gauge cluster to fix some lights that stopped working and found the speedo was not on the cluster all the way.

When putting everything back together I found the the inner cable was too long so you could not get the upper part on the cluster.

Because of how the inner cable is made you cant make it shorter at the cluster so I made it shorter at the trans gear end.

Well it now bounces at 30 MPH or lower but is ok above that.

I dont know if I have to trim a little more of the inner cable or if the whole cable is making a tight turn some where?

I have not been that worried about it at this time to look into it.

Dave ----

Yeah I might spray some lube up in there but since it's below 20mph, I don't think I'll worry about it too much. I might pull the gear out and confirm. I'm seeing that the color of the gear can be natural or just at the tip. So I'm going to make sure it isn't the natural or a different one and see if the gear is closer to something I can get.

You might want to read this thread: Instrument Lighting & Paint Testing.

Ford used some blue filters on the bulbs and the filters are, by now, almost opaque. Bill of HiPo Parts says you can polish them and make them translucent again, but most people just take them out.

Then, while you are in there as it is a pain to get there, I'd put in LEDs instead of the bulbs. HiPo's LED's that I used are far brighter and give a crisp white light. But you might like a different color.

20210611_231224.jpg.a92a1deb1321c87f05d348c682a73fbe.jpg

Got a tach from a whole gauge cluster. I could only find a tach for like $100, $120. Got this whole cluster for $65 after tax and shipping so I'm happy with it. Would this swap over? I mean it's not hard to swap the gauges but this also has a trip that might be cool to have too but again, not hard to swap. I just know I read somewhere someone put one in an early one (80 or 81 I think) and the film was different and didn't work 100% for him.

I was just thinking that I could get this one fully ready, LEDs, needles painted, trip and tach already there, it would be easier.

Got a tach from a whole gauge cluster. I could only find a tach for like $100, $120. Got this whole cluster for $65 after tax and shipping so I'm happy with it. Would this swap over? I mean it's not hard to swap the gauges but this also has a trip that might be cool to have too but again, not hard to swap. I just know I read somewhere someone put one in an early one (80 or 81 I think) and the film was different and didn't work 100% for him.

I was just thinking that I could get this one fully ready, LEDs, needles painted, trip and tach already there, it would be easier.

I'm pretty sure that as long as the flex board is the same colour there are is no problem.

The new one isn't red, is it?

Does your cluster have a hole in the lens for the trip reset, or are you just going to swap the whole thing?

I'm pretty sure that as long as the flex board is the same colour there are is no problem.

The new one isn't red, is it?

Does your cluster have a hole in the lens for the trip reset, or are you just going to swap the whole thing?

Right. And even if the flex circuit is a different color you can swap some pins around in the connector on the truck and make it work.

IIRC the difference is where the turn signals and bright headlight bulbs are. Over on FTE Paul/Rogue_Wulff explained how to do that and I can find the post if needed.

Right. And even if the flex circuit is a different color you can swap some pins around in the connector on the truck and make it work.

IIRC the difference is where the turn signals and bright headlight bulbs are. Over on FTE Paul/Rogue_Wulff explained how to do that and I can find the post if needed.

I think the only difference is the 1980 1 year wonder for the wiring of the plug and if you have lights for the oil & battery?as that wiring might be different also.

My 81 had gauges and a member picked me up a tach & flex circuit.

Swapped in the tach & flex circuit to my cluster, bolted it all back in place and it worked.

I would get the right paint for the needles polish the clear part and bolt that cluster in to your truck.

The only thing that "I" might look into is the mileage part if I can get that to read the same as what I pulled out.

On mine I did not because I forgot what cluster came out of what truck once I had the clear part off (it had paint on it from a PO), the speedo did not work in my truck I did not know how much mileage it really had so did not really care on what it showed.

Good luck on the install.

Dave ----

I have no idea what mine is. This is just the new cluster so far. Would there be any chance that the tach would work or would I have to wire that in anyways? Swapping the tach and speedo wouldn't be bad anyways like I said.