Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

The cable itself came out of the 'housing' not the whole thing. Just the black sheath came out, the fitting is still stuck in there.

Well there is a lip on the cable ferrule, that the retainer fork holds in place.

I don't imagine it would be too hard to pry it out, but I don't know what your transfer case looks like either.

Well there is a lip on the cable ferrule, that the retainer fork holds in place.

I don't imagine it would be too hard to pry it out, but I don't know what your transfer case looks like either.

I had the pressure washer out and it was nearby so I hit it around the area and so I can finally see what I'm working with instead of dirt. I sprayed PB on it but will hopefully be the first thing I do tomorrow.

Also I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure that when I have the air on Vent, it goes somewhere else. I'll get more tomorrow but figured that would be a good thing to look at during the dash swap.

8086speedocable.jpg.4a57268d304a812795634dec72311758.jpg

The cable itself came out of the 'housing' not the whole thing. Just the black sheath came out, the fitting is still stuck in there.

8086speedocable.jpg.4a57268d304a812795634dec72311758.jpg

So you are saying the black part came out of the silver part on the end on the left?

If so thats not good and the cable will need to be replaced.

Also the gear on the end of the inner part should have a clip to hold the gear on the inner cable so if that inner came out with the black part it is really going to need replacing.

Good luck.

Dave ----

I had the pressure washer out and it was nearby so I hit it around the area and so I can finally see what I'm working with instead of dirt. I sprayed PB on it but will hopefully be the first thing I do tomorrow.

Are there tips to getting the bumper bolts out? I had to grind 2 off of the Bronco and there is another that is just spinning on the parts truck too.

Better news is that the fuel tank is changed out. It was easy once I got underneath. There was a piece that I wasn't sure about but I found it to be something existing on Broncos that I guess isn't on F series and thats why it was included since the kit I bought from the guy was technically for a F series. I havent done a full check, but from the filler neck and the vent hole, it doesn't look too bad I don't think. Though I will say, when one of the straps was removed, it did slowly seep gas and spread out and then finally started dripping so, it was good that it got changed anyways.

Are there tips to getting the bumper bolts out? I had to grind 2 off of the Bronco and there is another that is just spinning on the parts truck too.

Better news is that the fuel tank is changed out. It was easy once I got underneath. There was a piece that I wasn't sure about but I found it to be something existing on Broncos that I guess isn't on F series and thats why it was included since the kit I bought from the guy was technically for a F series. I havent done a full check, but from the filler neck and the vent hole, it doesn't look too bad I don't think. Though I will say, when one of the straps was removed, it did slowly seep gas and spread out and then finally started dripping so, it was good that it got changed anyways.

On the bumper bolts I think I had to heat then up red hot for them to come off.

I may have also cut 1 or 2 off.

As for using them to remount the bumpers I did not and added lights to the front bumper

20200101_135937.jpg.15e4c4be8a64614bdd7d8d399b5b6c38.jpg

20200101_135620.jpg.c44ded8a5c7712732ea44befb5abd937.jpg

Dave ----

On the bumper bolts I think I had to heat then up red hot for them to come off.

I may have also cut 1 or 2 off.

As for using them to remount the bumpers I did not and added lights to the front bumper

Dave ----

What did you do to cover the holes up/mount it? Or are earlier bumpers different? Idk if some bolts were already messed with on these trucks or not, but just having the square underneath the head doesn't seem the best to get these out. Idk if the hole in the bumper is too big or if someone replaced it with a smaller one, but they spin.

What did you do to cover the holes up/mount it? Or are earlier bumpers different? Idk if some bolts were already messed with on these trucks or not, but just having the square underneath the head doesn't seem the best to get these out. Idk if the hole in the bumper is too big or if someone replaced it with a smaller one, but they spin.

My front bumper has one that spins. The bumper guard is a little loose. Going to have to do something about that someday... I hope!

Have welder will travel :nabble_smiley_evil:

Id did what my dad told me they did back in the day to make custom bumpers.

I welded the bolts on the back side and then filled in the holes on the front side and ground the weld flush.

I also then cut the holes for the lights before priming & painting them.

I tried to get them wrapped in chrome but 2 shops said no and the 3rd wanted to do brushed SS as they thought the chrome would get scratched when working the bubbles out.

They did give me a 4th that did full cars but it was a pain to for me to get in touch with him so I went with paint.

I know what I did its not for everyone but it is something any one can do if they wanted to.

For you the only way I see to get the bolts is to cut them off.

Can use a cut off wheel and being careful not to hit the bumper cut the head off as I dont think you can get the tool in the back side.

There is also a tool called a nut splitter. It fits over the nut and has a wedge at the end of a screw and when you tighten the bolt it pushes the wedge into the nut and splits it so you can remove it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/barn-star-nut-splitter-2-pack-1156486-1358373?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1358373&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9_v7zLDx8AIV_h-tBh1SZwCZEAQYASABEgKuWfD_BwE

Dave ----

Have welder will travel :nabble_smiley_evil:

Id did what my dad told me they did back in the day to make custom bumpers.

I welded the bolts on the back side and then filled in the holes on the front side and ground the weld flush.

I also then cut the holes for the lights before priming & painting them.

I tried to get them wrapped in chrome but 2 shops said no and the 3rd wanted to do brushed SS as they thought the chrome would get scratched when working the bubbles out.

They did give me a 4th that did full cars but it was a pain to for me to get in touch with him so I went with paint.

I know what I did its not for everyone but it is something any one can do if they wanted to.

For you the only way I see to get the bolts is to cut them off.

Can use a cut off wheel and being careful not to hit the bumper cut the head off as I dont think you can get the tool in the back side.

There is also a tool called a nut splitter. It fits over the nut and has a wedge at the end of a screw and when you tighten the bolt it pushes the wedge into the nut and splits it so you can remove it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/barn-star-nut-splitter-2-pack-1156486-1358373?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1358373&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9_v7zLDx8AIV_h-tBh1SZwCZEAQYASABEgKuWfD_BwE

Dave ----

Well I woke up decided to weld nuts to the front. So got the top one done. The bottom one didn't want to weld. I didn't have any new nuts to weld one so I found one laying around. So rusty nut and rusty bolt, plus having to go through the decorative cap Ford put on didn't make for the best ground/weld. (I tried vice grips on the threads the day before so the top one was nice and shiny and a new shiny nut.) Ended up getting probably 2 or 3 complete turns out of it before it broke. Gonna get a new nut and try again since I burned though the decorative cap, but with the few turns I got, and then spraying PB on the hot threads so it immediately sucked down in the nut, I'm confident it'll come out.