Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

How about plastic wrap over the carburetor and then place the bottom of the air cleaner housing on to seal the edges?

Well #1.. I tried putting the bottom part of the air cleaner on and it didn't work. #2 when it was on I didn't know where it was coming from without basically climbing in the engine bay.

Well #1.. I tried putting the bottom part of the air cleaner on and it didn't work. #2 when it was on I didn't know where it was coming from without basically climbing in the engine bay.

I have not gone back a few pages but I get you are trying to find a vacuum leak and cant seal the carb.

Someone said plastic wrap and then the filter base to hold it in place and you now cant see where the smoke is coming from right?

Well I am guessing this is the 5.0 motor and IIRC there is an EGR plate under the carb and IIRC they like to "burn" a hold thru them and cause a vacuum leak.

I think any way you look at it the leak is around or under the carb is pull it & the EGR plate and give a look see its only a few carb / EGR plate gaskets.

Heck with the carb off you could make a wood block off plate to bolt where the carb / plate was, hole in the center for the smoke hose and fill the motor with smoke to check for any other leaks.

Just my .02

Dave ----

I have not gone back a few pages but I get you are trying to find a vacuum leak and cant seal the carb.

Someone said plastic wrap and then the filter base to hold it in place and you now cant see where the smoke is coming from right?

Well I am guessing this is the 5.0 motor and IIRC there is an EGR plate under the carb and IIRC they like to "burn" a hold thru them and cause a vacuum leak.

I think any way you look at it the leak is around or under the carb is pull it & the EGR plate and give a look see its only a few carb / EGR plate gaskets.

Heck with the carb off you could make a wood block off plate to bolt where the carb / plate was, hole in the center for the smoke hose and fill the motor with smoke to check for any other leaks.

Just my .02

Dave ----

I said put a piece of plastic wrap and then stuff the choke horn and secondaries with rags.

Plastic in an effort to keep any smoke from diffusing through the cloth.

Removing the carb and EGR plate involves removing a bunch of lines (and possible leaks) that then have to be plugged.

We already saw how a hole in the choke of a Edelbrock can be open when it shouldn't be.

I said put a piece of plastic wrap and then stuff the choke horn and secondaries with rags.

Plastic in an effort to keep any smoke from diffusing through the cloth.

Removing the carb and EGR plate involves removing a bunch of lines (and possible leaks) that then have to be plugged.

We already saw how a hole in the choke of a Edelbrock can be open when it shouldn't be.

Well rags / paper towels and then a fast food plastic lid, it is smaller and can almost see thru it, to hold them in place.

Over the years I have been able to find all my vacuum leaks with carb cleaner with the straw to aim it.

Dave ----

Well rags / paper towels and then a fast food plastic lid, it is smaller and can almost see thru it, to hold them in place.

Over the years I have been able to find all my vacuum leaks with carb cleaner with the straw to aim it.

Dave ----

I've got a 24oz coffee can that is almost a perfect fit for my 750 4160....

I just held down some rags firmly while someone else did the smoke. There was some from the front of the engine and I took the distributor cap off and some smoke was coming from there. Would that effect the idle since its not on manifold?

I just held down some rags firmly while someone else did the smoke. There was some from the front of the engine and I took the distributor cap off and some smoke was coming from there. Would that effect the idle since its not on manifold?

Where were you blowing the smoke in?

If the intake and you were getting smoke out the dist. and front of the motor you got something big going on that is not good in my book.

Dave ----

Where were you blowing the smoke in?

If the intake and you were getting smoke out the dist. and front of the motor you got something big going on that is not good in my book.

Dave ----

I was blowing through the PCV on the carb. I was assuming it was going through the timed vacuum port?

I was blowing through the PCV on the carb. I was assuming it was going through the timed vacuum port?

If it is through the timed port, which is possible, then your vacuum advance diaphragm is blown. Which is something that you need to fix.

Pull the vacuum hose at the carb, leaving the other end attached to the vacuum advance, and pull a vacuum on it with your mouth. I'll bet it leaks, badly.