Bullnose Forums

Windshield Leak

Had a new one installed on Thursday. Installer used the one without the black ring so the vin could be seen. He also used butyl tape and some kind of black goo. I still need to polish the trim so he told me to bring it back whenever and he'd put it on.

Anyways, all was good and put a 100 miles on the truck Friday. Rained a little that night and in the morning the passenger floorboard had a wet spot right in the middle. Another plus for the mass backed carpet - nothing made it through so didn't have to prop up the carpet. Found that there is a really big leak a couple inches in on the top.

My question is when I call him tomorrow or take it by is this something that I need to insist on the windshield being pulled and redone? I don't know what he'll say but just in case he says he can put more of the black goo on it, I just want to know if that is acceptable or not.

A leaking windshield after replacement is absolutely not acceptable under any circumstances. I would be contacting him and having it redone.

Thanks. Yeah, it will be fixed I am just not sure what the correct fix is. More and more I find that people want to do the quick thing and I want the knowledge going in of what the right thing is.

Thanks. Yeah, it will be fixed I am just not sure what the correct fix is. More and more I find that people want to do the quick thing and I want the knowledge going in of what the right thing is.

More often than not I've found it's just not quite enough sealer in the area. It may not nessecarily be that he did a bad job, just a bit sparse in that particular area.

I wouldn't grille him over it. Just have touch it up.

If the install is fresh, like that, I don't see a problem with touch up.

I've never really heard of using tape and urethane.

Tape is really old school. I don't (personally) know anyone who does it that way or thinks it should be anymore.

Flange prep and primer are key.

If the install is fresh, like that, I don't see a problem with touch up.

Tape is really old school. I don't (personally) know anyone who does it that way or thinks it should be anymore.

I didn't know there were different ways to install them until he brought it up. That's part of why I wanted to ask about touch up vs remove/reinstall. Wasn't sure if it made a difference on the type of material used for the install.

I don't plan on grilling him or being difficult. I fully understand that things like this happen. I just don't know anything about windshields and how leaks should be properly fixed.

I didn't know there were different ways to install them until he brought it up. That's part of why I wanted to ask about touch up vs remove/reinstall. Wasn't sure if it made a difference on the type of material used for the install.

I don't plan on grilling him or being difficult. I fully understand that things like this happen. I just don't know anything about windshields and how leaks should be properly fixed.

He's the pro and surely has had this happen before. I'd see what he says, but I'll bet he has a good plan.

He's the pro and surely has had this happen before. I'd see what he says, but I'll bet he has a good plan.

Just to followup. Took it in this morning and they had to pull it. Turns out the tape didn't seal well to the cab. They replaced it with urethane.

When you say "tape" are you talking the Butyl tape like the factory used?

If so look no farther as that is how I installed mine, old school baby!

And for the ones that say the glass will pop out in a crash is BS!

This glass did not pop out and it still had the tape

20151219_124941.jpg.e7c965dfce5564ce043a27e7c9480a3a.jpg

I had to cut it out so I could get rid of it before 1 of our dogs got hurt on it when I put the cab outside my garage.

You get the young guns that say the law said you cant use the tape. That may be true on the newer cars & trucks where the glass is glued in but not on the older stuff.

It is they just don't know how to install glass that uses the butyl tape.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Dave ----

btw my glass has not popped out yet :nabble_smiley_wink: