Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

Thanks. These are Mile Marker aftermarkets. Chrome or stainless outer, and a brass inner. So PC'ing the inner red would make them look close to original, and with the red center on the rear aluminum wheels it'll come close to matching.

Here's kinda what I'm thinking:

But, the original ones were all red - right? Would it be better to make the whole center red? It would be easier to PC it that way.

Why take the easy way now :nabble_smiley_evil:

I like the red centers and if the brass was polished they would look sweet.

Black in the center of the M M?

Dave ----

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. These are Mile Marker aftermarkets. Chrome or stainless outer, and a brass inner. So PC'ing the inner red would make them look close to original, and with the red center on the rear aluminum wheels it'll come close to matching.

Here's kinda what I'm thinking:

But, the original ones were all red - right? Would it be better to make the whole center red? It would be easier to PC it that way.

Okay, that is a little different tan I imagined. The mile markers don’t really lend themselves to the original theme because the cross bar is connected to a ring that rotates when you lock the hubs. The originals don’t have that, and it would look different (odd?) if that were red also. The originals you pretty much just see the red cross bar. The red background behind it is subtle.

Given the different shape of the mile markers, I think I like your idea of making them look like the rear center caps. It is attractive and gives some consistency. That would be my vote, if it’s not too hard to pull off :nabble_smiley_good:

Okay, that is a little different tan I imagined. The mile markers don’t really lend themselves to the original theme because the cross bar is connected to a ring that rotates when you lock the hubs. The originals don’t have that, and it would look different (odd?) if that were red also. The originals you pretty much just see the red cross bar. The red background behind it is subtle.

Given the different shape of the mile markers, I think I like your idea of making them look like the rear center caps. It is attractive and gives some consistency. That would be my vote, if it’s not too hard to pull off :nabble_smiley_good:

9ACD8E68-70E0-4031-9A9B-02296AEBF4C9.jpeg.d9a292507c1137d3e6afef91e47924de.jpeg

Forgot to add this pic for comparison...

(Maybe it’s a phone thing, but I can’t edit a post and add a picture. The text box crashes when I double tap the photo icon and I go back to the forum home page)

Ok guys, I'm headed out to a dental appointment, but will re-read your posts more closely when I get home - hopefully before the snow and/or ice hits.

Anyway, for your consideration, we do have an option. Both Dad's truck and Big Blue had D44's, so the hubs should swap - right?. So, Mile Markers or Warns? And then, what polishing/powder treatment?

Lots of options, including polished brass with red in the recess and/or lettering. Red in the recess and black lettering. All with a clear coat of powder. Black over the brass with red in the recesses.

DSCN3428.jpg.da7d960b683115645e09895e86beaed6.jpg

Ok guys, I'm headed out to a dental appointment, but will re-read your posts more closely when I get home - hopefully before the snow and/or ice hits.

Anyway, for your consideration, we do have an option. Both Dad's truck and Big Blue had D44's, so the hubs should swap - right?. So, Mile Markers or Warns? And then, what polishing/powder treatment?

Lots of options, including polished brass with red in the recess and/or lettering. Red in the recess and black lettering. All with a clear coat of powder. Black over the brass with red in the recesses.

Gary,

I like red, and I like your idea to make them consistent with the rear centers.

The F-250 has a D44 HD.

Iirc when I got my Warn* premiums from Amazon in 2015 they were different from the regular D44 lockouts.

Maybe you should look into that before you jump.

Gary,

I like red, and I like your idea to make them consistent with the rear centers.

The F-250 has a D44 HD.

Iirc when I got my Warn* premiums from Amazon in 2015 they were different from the regular D44 lockouts.

Maybe you should look into that before you jump.

Jim - Just looking at the pic of the two, I’d say the Warns are bigger than the MM’s. Thanks for pointing that out.

Jim - Just looking at the pic of the two, I’d say the Warns are bigger than the MM’s. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ahhh, mine ARE Warns.

I have to go back and edit that. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I think it's probably the axle stub that differs.

But I will look at my purchase history to try and get an item number.

Ahhh, mine ARE Warns.

I have to go back and edit that. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I think it's probably the axle stub that differs.

But I will look at my purchase history to try and get an item number.

Just had a look at Warn website.

The 20990 kit fits all Ford 1/2 ton from '59-'96.

I think what had me confused was the additional nut kit (#32720) required.

You should be ok unless Vernon installed a D50 axle that only came stock on 250's with extended cabs or plow packages.

Those hub spindles have no taper, just like the D60 found on an F-350.

Compatibility aside, I like the look of the mile marker hubs slightly better. I would vote to PC the recesses red, and make the lettering black. I like the “antique” brass look that it has now, but I don’t see how you can preserve that while prepping for PC.

Compatibility aside, I like the look of the mile marker hubs slightly better. I would vote to PC the recesses red, and make the lettering black. I like the “antique” brass look that it has now, but I don’t see how you can preserve that while prepping for PC.

Jim - I measured and the OD of the cap is the same. The Big Blue's hubs are larger in OD, but apparently not in ID. And the gaskets that Vernon had fit the D40 on Dad's truck perfectly, so I think they would interchange.

Jonathan - I think I'm with you, the MM's get the nod. And I agree that preserving the antique brass look is going to be hard. But they would eventually turn to that if I didn't put a clear-coat over them.

All - How would they look PC'd black with the recesses red?