Bullnose Forums

Rust

Do tell me wife but I am looking at another truck or what is left of it after a buddy gets done with his.

Its a short bed truck, no bed and the cab has normal rust and roof rust but it has a good frame / suspension I can work with it.

Will have to see what happens but I also need to get on my Javelin to keep the wife happy.

Dave ----

I think you meant "don't". I'm pretty sure that if I do tell she'll think I'm crazy - no way you'd go back into that briar patch after having just gotten out. :nabble_smiley_wink:

So, will you put a Flareside bed on? Styleside?

How's this for rust?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n56014/IMG_20200407_062428.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n56014/IMG_20200407_062553.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n56014/IMG_20200407_103754.jpg

Been there replaced that :nabble_smiley_evil:

Everything you are doing is what I did on my truck but I had the cab off the frame.

Dave ----

How good is the replacement sheet metal?

Is it good?

Just adequate?

Bad? If bad, is there anyway to improve it?

Then again, given the absence of original metal, I remember reading something about beggars and choosers...

There seem to be a number of suppliers for replacement panels or sections thereof, some more reputable than others. Any advice on which is best to worst?

Is it good?

Just adequate?

Then again, given the absence of original metal, I remember reading something about beggars and choosers...

There seem to be a number of suppliers for replacement panels or sections thereof, some more reputable than others. Any advice on which is best to worst?

Jim put me onto Tabco some time ago, and my paint/body man loved those panels. Said they are the best he's gotten.

Is it good?

Just adequate?

Well, we've completely hijacked this thread. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But I guess -short of cutting it into its own- the Tabco panels seem robust and well annealed.

So, thick metal that you don't have to fight into place.

Hopefully the wind and rain will let up for the weekend, and I can get back on it.

Do tell me wife but I am looking at another truck or what is left of it after a buddy gets done with his.

Its a short bed truck, no bed and the cab has normal rust and roof rust but it has a good frame / suspension I can work with it.

Will have to see what happens but I also need to get on my Javelin to keep the wife happy.

Dave ----

I think you meant "don't". I'm pretty sure that if I do tell she'll think I'm crazy - no way you'd go back into that briar patch after having just gotten out. :nabble_smiley_wink:

:nabble_smiley_blush:YES DONT TELL

Have to get the truck and see what all might come with it then see how I want to go.

It would be just a roller, no motor or transmission.

I would like to lower it with maybe DJM beams and a flip kit out back then I start thinking crazy and may do a Crown Vic front or the whole frame, motor, trans setup? It would be my play toy with v8 power and auto.

As for a bed don't know? If I did a CV frame swap you cant use the bed as the frame kicks up for the rear axle travel. Also being you cant find flare sides I would most likely go style side.

I could go with a long bed and cut it to make a short bed to fit the CV frame if that is the way I went.

I really need to get the Javelin in paint before I do any work on this truck project if it was ever to happen.

I just know there are some "good parts" that will be left over from my buddies project that I cant let go to the scrap yard.

Dave ----

Jim put me onto Tabco some time ago, and my paint/body man loved those panels. Said they are the best he's gotten.

I also went with Tabco for my replacement panels and was really happy with them and would not think twice of using them again.

When I placed my order Tabco called me and said some of the panels overlapped by a lot and told me what I should get that covers most of what goes bad and would send a flat sheet to use as a filler if needed.

They did not need to do that could have sold me the parts and made the money but they took the time to call and help save me money. That goes a long way in my book.

Dave ----

Dave ----

:nabble_smiley_blush:YES DONT TELL

Have to get the truck and see what all might come with it then see how I want to go.

It would be just a roller, no motor or transmission.

I would like to lower it with maybe DJM beams and a flip kit out back then I start thinking crazy and may do a Crown Vic front or the whole frame, motor, trans setup? It would be my play toy with v8 power and auto.

As for a bed don't know? If I did a CV frame swap you cant use the bed as the frame kicks up for the rear axle travel. Also being you cant find flare sides I would most likely go style side.

I could go with a long bed and cut it to make a short bed to fit the CV frame if that is the way I went.

I really need to get the Javelin in paint before I do any work on this truck project if it was ever to happen.

I just know there are some "good parts" that will be left over from my buddies project that I cant let go to the scrap yard.

Dave ----

Jim - I hope you can get something done before the next round gets there.

Dave - I understand the feelings. Can't let those parts go to the crusher! We all need the space that Scott or Ray have so we can "line 'em up". (Reminds me of a song by James Taylor.)

Dave ----

"So I went over to my buddies place and picked up those clapped out rear springs and leaking steering box.

I'm going to build a beautiful '84 shortbed around it!"

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Ah hahahaha. (It's a sickness, not a hobby, Dave). 😉