Bullnose Forums

Battery / Starter Cable Routing

Hey Gary does your parts breakdown by chance maybe detail the cable routing for the battery and starter cables? More so the starter cable as mine has always just run down the frame pretty close to the manifold and seems it may have had a piece of convoluted or split loom tubing over it but is about gone now. I know on my 67 mustang there are some brackets that mount around or either on the engine mounts that hold the cable and was thinking maybe there is something similar or perhaps some other straps or such I should have here but is missing? Thought maybe the parts books may show in detail the routing or any brackets clips etc that where used originally. This in particular would be for the 81 F100 302 V8. If in documentation I have overlooked it I did find the cables with the part numbers and the appropriate lengths but nothing showing the routing and straps. Also have looked in the shop manuals I have but no luck. Thanks

I don't know on a 302 setup but my 81 F100 with a 300 runs down the top of the frame rail.

Cable on the left is the pos. to the starter and that loop holds the cable in place.

The cable on the right is the ground and that is a tab on the cable to ground the frame the other end goes to 1 of the starter bolts to ground the starter / motor.

20171015_123448.jpg.5df45936b3b06705742604c0028c1d25.jpg

20171015_123612.jpg.cd234a7be8a2316ba48e56db124b7088.jpg

Old & new ground cables. New cable has the frame ground tab Iput on it.

20171015_114608.jpg.2a930a0caf8881bea065d9569195e6e2.jpg

Dave ----

I don't know on a 302 setup but my 81 F100 with a 300 runs down the top of the frame rail.

Cable on the left is the pos. to the starter and that loop holds the cable in place.

The cable on the right is the ground and that is a tab on the cable to ground the frame the other end goes to 1 of the starter bolts to ground the starter / motor.

Old & new ground cables. New cable has the frame ground tab Iput on it.

Dave ----

Dave - That helps. Lets see if this helps. If there are more questions, please ask.

Starter_Cable_Routing.thumb.jpg.c8b348996d9e50e2cc79ebdfa048e249.jpg

And, I forgot to say that I put a higher-resolution copy of that illustration on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Battery Cables.

Yea thanks that helps and helps me see I am missing a good many things. I guessing those starter cables 14431 and that negative 14301 with the built on clamps are hard to come by. I have not done any searching yet to see what is out there or available. What is the 12A690 that shows mounting in the starter cable wire tab very close to the starter?

Yea thanks that helps and helps me see I am missing a good many things. I guessing those starter cables 14431 and that negative 14301 with the built on clamps are hard to come by. I have not done any searching yet to see what is out there or available. What is the 12A690 that shows mounting in the starter cable wire tab very close to the starter?

I found a listing for it as the O2 sensor wire.

12a690 is Ford's base part number for a wire assembly.

I believe what you are seeing indicated is a plastic christmas tree retainer with a saddle or tail for taping to the starter cable.

These anomalies pop up in the drawings occasionally.

The technical artists aren't the engineers who design the parts.

In the Master Parts Catalog the part number will be accompanied by the Motorcraft part number.

These cables are easily available, but not cheap.

In the Master Parts Catalog the part number will be accompanied by the Motorcraft part number.

These cables are easily available, but not cheap.

Do you happen to have those Motorcraft numbers by chance? If you have them for all three cables that would be good. I may replace all of them if available.

By the way what is the U refer to in the parts diagrams. F truck E econoline and U utility maybe?

Do you happen to have those Motorcraft numbers by chance? If you have them for all three cables that would be good. I may replace all of them if available.

By the way what is the U refer to in the parts diagrams. F truck E econoline and U utility maybe?

Yes, U is a Bronco.

I do have the MPC on disc, but unfortunately I don't have an optical drive I can use at the moment.

Perhaps Gary, or one of the other members with a home PC can fish those out for you.