Bullnose Forums

MSD Timing Control

swampedout

Dave,

My understanding of the instructions is that MSD wants you to dial ALL the adjustment advance in, set base timing at 15* and back off from there until you don't hear ping.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something? :nabble_anim_confused:

Every ignition I've ever installed we go too far, and back off.

MSD is just starting off too far and backing down from there...

You could be right on the starting point but if the box does not dial back on power up or when starting you could have starter kick back.

Then again if you have pinging at factory settings with todays crappy gas why bump it up even more?

If it is dialed in there should not be a need for this.

I only see this working if the car / truck is driven on the street & raced.

You could have it dialed back for street gas and then bump up for race gas at the track.

I was going to say for spray but there are other ways to back off timing when spraying a motor that MSD makes and plugs into the MSD main box like the 6AL.

Guess I just don't get the MSD box for use on the street?

Dave ----

Guess I just don't get the MSD box for use on the street?

Dave ----

Amen brother!

You're preaching to the choir. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Ok this is making more sense now.

Whoever had this truck did some experimenting. Theres a holley box behind the seats, not plugged in but all wires are there for it. If anyone is interested in it, let me know.

Apparently one of the POs was a manager at an auto parts store so Im assuming he made good use out of his employee discount.

Whoever had this truck did some experimenting. Theres a holley box behind the seats, not plugged in but all wires are there for it. If anyone is interested in it, let me know.

Apparently one of the POs was a manager at an auto parts store so Im assuming he made good use out of his employee discount.

Holley box?

My Holley (tool) box would not fit behind the seat and has Holley carb parts like gaskets & jets for tuning carbs. I call it a pit box for racing.

So does this box have a number or name on it?

Picture of this box just so we know what it is.

Dave ----

Holley box?

My Holley (tool) box would not fit behind the seat and has Holley carb parts like gaskets & jets for tuning carbs. I call it a pit box for racing.

So does this box have a number or name on it?

Picture of this box just so we know what it is.

Dave ----

Ill have to dig it up. Its on the shelf now. I tried looking for it online but didnt see it.

It looked like an older spark controller box like an MSD but said Holley on it. Maybe I got some rare equipment on my hands.