Bullnose Forums

New LED Tail Lights

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some problems finding an LED bulb that would last more then a few months. I posted my review of Grote's current OEM listings a while back here . Not quite as dear as the ballpark on those, as much as I like the look of the prototype and idea of a pattern flash.

Downside is the Grotes all offer the integrated side marker that some don't care for. Some also don't care for the untextured clear "window" at the bottom for license plate illumination if it's hung under the taillight. Also, I had trouble finding stock with for the Ford connector, but I prefer Weatherpack for new work anyway.

None of those considerations bother me, and I've put more than a year and 5k miles on some pretty rough roads without complaint.

Will do. If these are knock-your-socks-off bright I may be in the market.

I have factory lenses with Cree 50w red projector leds in my lenses, and my lord they will light up the broad side of a barn a quarter mile down the road.

Curious to see how the sequential will work, and how they worked on the older trucks as well.

I have factory lenses with Cree 50w red projector leds in my lenses, and my lord they will light up the broad side of a barn a quarter mile down the road.

Curious to see how the sequential will work, and how they worked on the older trucks as well.

You can see how they work for the earlier trucks here.

You can see how they work for the earlier trucks here.

You can also check with https://easyperformance.com/

As they make custom LED tail lights.

Over on the AMC forum I am on they are trying to get 10+ people to do a group buy as that knocks the price down.

For the AMC LED tail light kit they are also $250 to $300.

Might be able to find something here that will work.

https://www.mustangproject.com/

I have 1 of their early kits for my Javelin tail lights sitting in a box on the shelf along with head lights from some where else that has LED's for park / turn as I an going to install driving lights in the bumper where the factory lights were.

Now for us Flare Side guys we can get Grote LED light assy. but may have a cheaper way for LED tail lights.

IIRC there is a RV trailer light that is about the same shape & size that you might be able to pull apart to remove the LED board and parts. If you cant save the part that fits into the light socket and can get an old bulb and attach the wires to and put it into the light housing socket. Use hot glue to hold the LED board to the housing and you now have LED tail lights. They will not do the fancy blinking but should be brighter.

Dave ----

And, by the way, I should also say that in my experience just swapping out the incandescent bulbs in our tail lights with LED doesn't really work. At present I have a new incandescent in one side of Big Blue and an LED in the other. And at night the incandescent is brighter.

I think the reflector was designed for a point source rather than the LED's that are scattered all over. Basically what we discussed re headlights. But Jose's approach should resolve that problem by placing LED's firing directly back, although I wonder how easily they are seen from an angle.

Also, don't miss that he says "I also add a very powerful white led as a back up light to shine up the night."

Did you use red or white LED's?

And, by the way, I should also say that in my experience just swapping out the incandescent bulbs in our tail lights with LED doesn't really work. At present I have a new incandescent in one side of Big Blue and an LED in the other. And at night the incandescent is brighter.

I think the reflector was designed for a point source rather than the LED's that are scattered all over. Basically what we discussed re headlights. But Jose's approach should resolve that problem by placing LED's firing directly back, although I wonder how easily they are seen from an angle.

Also, don't miss that he says "I also add a very powerful white led as a back up light to shine up the night."

Did you use red or white LED's?

You want to match the color of your LED to the lens because LED's simulate white light using yellow and blue wave lengths which causes issues when you filter it a second time. You can see the yellow phospor coating on the LEDs. White LED's through red lenses appear dim.

If you get a red LED then your not loosing light. Same with yellow/amber lenses but not as much.

I have these they work great.

LED_s.png.cc92e6a3b4e50e71d5fb9707508d37a6.png

You want to match the color of your LED to the lens because LED's simulate white light using yellow and blue wave lengths which causes issues when you filter it a second time. You can see the yellow phospor coating on the LEDs. White LED's through red lenses appear dim.

If you get a red LED then your not loosing light. Same with yellow/amber lenses but not as much.

I have these they work great.

I used white LED's. But I suspect that it is the orientation of the LED's that's the problem in my case. And I also suspect that since there are dozens, if not hundreds, of LED layouts we could find quite varying results by using different LED's.

So, I'm thrilled that you found some that work. That takes the hunting, and failure, out of it. :nabble_smiley_good:

And I can see that the lens on the brake light portion would cause it to be really bright. But how bright are the taillights themselves? And how well did they fit?

Anyway, here's a link to what I think are the ones you found. Right?

I used white LED's. But I suspect that it is the orientation of the LED's that's the problem in my case. And I also suspect that since there are dozens, if not hundreds, of LED layouts we could find quite varying results by using different LED's.

So, I'm thrilled that you found some that work. That takes the hunting, and failure, out of it. :nabble_smiley_good:

And I can see that the lens on the brake light portion would cause it to be really bright. But how bright are the taillights themselves? And how well did they fit?

Anyway, here's a link to what I think are the ones you found. Right?

I'll see if I can get some pictures at some point. Install was as easy as any normal light