Bullnose Forums

Making Flareside rear bumper brackets

reamer

Hi All

Decided to make a batch of Flareside (stepside to some) rear bumper brackets, they will look like factory, made from 1/4" steel and bent correctly, I'm not going to drill/Bridgeport the slotted holes, that's up to you...…….So just for an estimate, Who's in?

You'll need 4 per truck.

Reamer

Any way to know if they fit pre 80 trucks also?

If so then may want to check in with them.

Dave ----

I'm pretty sure that the Bullnose brackets won't fit on earlier trucks.

The Bullnose brackets have E0TZ prefixes, meaning they were new for 1980. The earlier ones have D3TZ prefixes up until Serial # D75,000 in 1977, at which point the prefix was D7TZ, for 1973 and 1977 respectively.

I just realized that prior to SN D75,000 there were four parts: left-hand inner; left-hand outer; right-hand inner; right-hand outer. With the change they went to two parts: left-hand inner & outer; right-hand inner & outer. And that was carried over into the Bullnose era.

The Bullnose brackets have E0TZ prefixes, meaning they were new for 1980. The earlier ones have D3TZ prefixes up until Serial # D75,000 in 1977, at which point the prefix was D7TZ, for 1973 and 1977 respectively.

I just realized that prior to SN D75,000 there were four parts: left-hand inner; left-hand outer; right-hand inner; right-hand outer. With the change they went to two parts: left-hand inner & outer; right-hand inner & outer. And that was carried over into the Bullnose era.

But they are 4 parts as before, 2 for left & 2 for the right.

Dave ----

I Did find that when I bought a NOS 1978 Flareside bumper, it would not fit the 1986 brackets Only because the bumper-bolt holes did not line up correctly.

Now with you drilling your own holes where you want them they will "fit"....

the 80-86 series have four brackets:nabble_smiley_good:

I Did find that when I bought a NOS 1978 Flareside bumper, it would not fit the 1986 brackets Only because the bumper-bolt holes did not line up correctly.

Now with you drilling your own holes where you want them they will "fit"....

the 80-86 series have four brackets:nabble_smiley_good:

Dave - The trucks prior to D75,000 take 4 different brackets. The trucks from D75,000 take 4 brackets, but only 2 pair.

Ron - Are you saying your bracket will also work on the 1977-79 trucks from D75,000? And, that bumpers from those trucks can be used on Bullnose trucks and vice versa since the holes have to be drilled?

If that's the case, do you have connections with the folks with the earlier trucks? I do if you'd like me to get you in touch with them re your brackets.

Dave - The trucks prior to D75,000 take 4 different brackets. The trucks from D75,000 take 4 brackets, but only 2 pair.

Ron - Are you saying your bracket will also work on the 1977-79 trucks from D75,000? And, that bumpers from those trucks can be used on Bullnose trucks and vice versa since the holes have to be drilled?

If that's the case, do you have connections with the folks with the earlier trucks? I do if you'd like me to get you in touch with them re your brackets.

Don't the previous gen trucks have narrower frames than the Bullnoses?

That probably explains why the bracket holes were in a different location? Assuming the bumpers were the same.

Don't the previous gen trucks have narrower frames than the Bullnoses?

That probably explains why the bracket holes were in a different location? Assuming the bumpers were the same.

I believe that is correct Cory.

If that's the case, these could be "universal", for numerous year Flaresides