Bullnose Forums

T18 to NP435 swap question?

Dave,

Why not just swing by my house and look/ measure to your hearts content?

And in case you forgot, some time in the future I will be dropping my NP435 to make room for my 4R70W. All parts related to the NP435 will be available. Probably for free!

Kurt,

Long time no hear hope all is well.

If I don't hear back from the seller I may just do that, stop and get measurements.

Got under mine when I got home from work to measure mine and see the truck has marked it's place in the house garage! It never leaked oil when in my garage and why I moved it to the house and did not put anything under it. It looks to be all transmission oil, cant win sometimes.

I really want a 5sp and what may end up with is the M5-R2 and it does not have granny first but then I may not need it for the few times I might be pulling the trailer.

I also read the T19, also with out a granny first, has better (close) ratios and can be driven as a true 4sp.

The NP435 has over all lower ratios of any of the transmissions I have been looking into.

If I can get a good (shifting) T18 or NP435 I could then go for an OD unit.

I will let you know if I need to get under your for measurements.

Thanks

Dave ----

Dave,

Why not just swing by my house and look/ measure to your hearts content?

And in case you forgot, some time in the future I will be dropping my NP435 to make room for my 4R70W. All parts related to the NP435 will be available. Probably for free!

Kurt,

Long time no hear hope all is well.

If I don't hear back from the seller I may just do that, stop and get measurements.

Got under mine when I got home from work to measure mine and see the truck has marked it's place in the house garage! It never leaked oil when in my garage and why I moved it to the house and did not put anything under it. It looks to be all transmission oil, cant win sometimes.

I really want a 5sp and what may end up with is the M5-R2 and it does not have granny first but then I may not need it for the few times I might be pulling the trailer.

I also read the T19, also with out a granny first, has better (close) ratios and can be driven as a true 4sp.

The NP435 has over all lower ratios of any of the transmissions I have been looking into.

If I can get a good (shifting) T18 or NP435 I could then go for an OD unit.

I will let you know if I need to get under your for measurements.

Thanks

Dave ----

There's a close ratio version of the T-18 as well. I had one in my '75 CJ5. I drove it like a 3 speed with the 4.27 axles it had, but if it had taller axle gears the 4:1 1st gear would have been usable.

1st was still non-synchro compared to the synchro'd 1st of the T-19.

I don't know if they were used anywhere other than Jeeps, and you don't want a 4WD trans. So this might not help at all, but I thought I'd let you know what (little) I know.

There's a close ratio version of the T-18 as well. I had one in my '75 CJ5. I drove it like a 3 speed with the 4.27 axles it had, but if it had taller axle gears the 4:1 1st gear would have been usable.

1st was still non-synchro compared to the synchro'd 1st of the T-19.

I don't know if they were used anywhere other than Jeeps, and you don't want a 4WD trans. So this might not help at all, but I thought I'd let you know what (little) I know.

Also, the close-ratio T19 with a 4.02 first was only available for the diesel. But I think you could swap the gearset into a small-block version. In fact, I think that's what Jonathan did?

Also, the close-ratio T19 with a 4.02 first was only available for the diesel. But I think you could swap the gearset into a small-block version. In fact, I think that's what Jonathan did?

Depending how crazy you want to get both with swapping gear set and money you can have just about anything LOL

Right now I want something that will shift as it should, unlike my T18 that I know should shift better than it does. Also be some what cheap and last if I keep it in the truck.

Dave ----

No gear swap needed... just bolted it up to the I6 bellhousing.

No gear swap needed... just bolted it up to the I6 bellhousing.

I forgot that the T-series transmissions had separate bell housings. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Dave both those gearboxes have the same Ford 'butterfly' bolt pattern.

And I think are the same length overall.

I also don't think the speedo gears changed since the '60's until the tone rings in the RABS trucks were providing signal for a PSOM in the '90's.

I know my '87 still uses gears that were applicable across decades.

I can't answer, as far as mounts.

I do know some of the light trucks had a weird suspension type system.

Depending how crazy you want to get both with swapping gear set and money you can have just about anything LOL

Right now I want something that will shift as it should, unlike my T18 that I know should shift better than it does. Also be some what cheap and last if I keep it in the truck.

Dave ----

One thing you are going to run into with the 2wd Borg Warner’s is the slip yoke vs fixed yoke versions. It is an important question to ask, especially if you are traveling to get it. If it’s different than what you have, you will need a new driveshaft. You probably know this, just thought I’d point it out just in case.... just because it says 2wd does not mean it will fit without the right shaft.

BADD6F93-B72F-4E15-B83E-A9232849CFF9.thumb.jpeg.da023ab1f36bb76e734b6e169747e7a7.jpeg

AB0CF2CC-1FB5-442A-9C2E-E389E4EFB763.jpeg.4b172405411f0313960b7227169a53bc.jpeg

One thing you are going to run into with the 2wd Borg Warner’s is the slip yoke vs fixed yoke versions. It is an important question to ask, especially if you are traveling to get it. If it’s different than what you have, you will need a new driveshaft. You probably know this, just thought I’d point it out just in case.... just because it says 2wd does not mean it will fit without the right shaft.

Did they even make a slip yoke tail NP435? All the 4x2 ones I've seen have been fixed yoke. If he's telling you it's a slip yoke and there were no NP435's with a slip yoke, it may not be a New Process.

Did they even make a slip yoke tail NP435? All the 4x2 ones I've seen have been fixed yoke. If he's telling you it's a slip yoke and there were no NP435's with a slip yoke, it may not be a New Process.

Easy enough to tell.

T-18/19 have a cast iron lid.

The NP gearbox covers were aluminum.