Bullnose Forums

Headliner Tracing

This is for Michael/Wolpe, and I'll point him here from his intro thread.

Anyway, I traced my 1985 regular cab headliner backing today and wanted to make sure y'all agree that it has what he needs for his Supercab.

I measured from my back glass to the spot on the windshield where the rear view mirror is supposed to be glued on and got 38 3/4". (Mine fell off and there's a glue spot there.) I'm thinking he can measure his and add the difference in the middle of the tracing. Yes?

Also, the front corners are broken on the 85's backing. However, I have the backing from Huck, the 1990 regular cab and while the outside dimensions on it are slightly different, the corners seem to be the same. In the pic below the '85 backing is on top of the 90's backing, with my finger pointing to where the 85's backing is broken. So I added the 90's corner to the tracing for the '85.

Thoughts? Is anything more needed?

Headliner_Tracing_-_Broken_Corner.thumb.jpg.32cf36f5c8253c7c1fdd122b1956722f.jpg

And here's a pic of the corner tracing:

Headliner_Tracing_-_Corner_Trace.thumb.jpg.e31c6c6a0d4c52720b26b09b6385bec9.jpg

Here's the whole '85 backing being traced:

Headliner_Tracing.thumb.jpg.ce38de08a9554ec82ed3ffbff6f9e98c.jpg

And here's the completed trace, but it is cleaner than it looks as you are seeing the work table through the material:

Headliner_Tracing_-_The_Trace.thumb.jpg.f443b8f9d0175d367cc79acfe33f5698.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was the mirror that is glued to the glass that can be glued in different places by anyone used?

Even the factory could be off a few inches up / down or left / right or both.

I have not glued my mirror back on as I don't have the visors installed and I had a truck where the mirror was glued on in the wrong place and the visor hit the mirror till the mirror fell off.

I would think using something that was set from the factory like the glass open lip would be better.

You can measure left / right to get center and from center on back.

Think you could also use the visor holes to measure from?

Dave ----

Why was the mirror that is glued to the glass that can be glued in different places by anyone used?

Even the factory could be off a few inches up / down or left / right or both.

I have not glued my mirror back on as I don't have the visors installed and I had a truck where the mirror was glued on in the wrong place and the visor hit the mirror till the mirror fell off.

I would think using something that was set from the factory like the glass open lip would be better.

You can measure left / right to get center and from center on back.

Think you could also use the visor holes to measure from?

Dave ----

Good point about the mirror, Dave.

But I'm not sure I understand "glass open lip". Can you elaborate?

But I'm trying to find something that is easy to measure for both he and I. Something that will be a good reference and not take a lot of description.

Good point about the mirror, Dave.

But I'm not sure I understand "glass open lip". Can you elaborate?

But I'm trying to find something that is easy to measure for both he and I. Something that will be a good reference and not take a lot of description.

I'd assume 'glass opening lip'

AKA: the flange the windshield is glued to

Or pinch weld at the top of the opening, would be the answer.

Yes, I was just saying "if it were me, I have xyz to use as a simple pattern material"

Just cut some new corners from a stiff box and tape them back on to your backer board Gary.

Yes, I was just saying "if it were me, I have xyz to use as a simple pattern material"

Just cut some new corners from a stiff box and tape them back on to your backer board Gary.

Ok, I'll climb back in there tomorrow, remove the upper windshield trim, and measure to the weld from the back glass.

As for Big Blue's headliner, I'll probably do just that - cut some pieces of HD cardboard and tape them on.

.... I'm trying to find something that is easy to measure for both he and I. Something that will be a good reference and not take a lot of description.
Maybe this country should get with the rest of the world, and stop using body parts of long dead emperors and distances you could run your horse before its heart burst as standards.

Horsepower, hands, furlongs, quarts, whatever.. be done with it.

Heck, even the practice of accurate calibration -Metrology- has the word meter.

.... I'm trying to find something that is easy to measure for both he and I. Something that will be a good reference and not take a lot of description.
Maybe this country should get with the rest of the world, and stop using body parts of long dead emperors and distances you could run your horse before its heart burst as standards.

Horsepower, hands, furlongs, quarts, whatever.. be done with it.

Heck, even the practice of accurate calibration -Metrology- has the word meter.

But, we measure our soda in liters....Priorities :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes the glass opening and you may not need to remove that hard to get off molding.

But what ever works for the both of you.

Dave ----

Thanks again for the support.

I have inserted a picture of an 87 SC headliner. Please compare that with the regular cap and try to give me the dimensions for the letters a - h. i has about 26 ft and j c. 15

Thanks

Michael

IMG_8334.thumb.jpg.e4062a54c0582c6b61fa4da9823922b7.jpg