Bullnose Forums

Fuel gauge "reading" inaccurate - can I do this?

I struggled to get the sender reinstalled. it was easy enough to get it out with one hand (using a brass drift and hammer to turn the lock ring), but I had a hell of a time trying get the lock ring reinstalled with one hand. I finally manged to get it in, but now I see the rubber sealing o-ring is sticking out on one side.

I'll need to drop the exhaust or driveshaft now to be able to get up in there with both hands and get this right.

Oh well.

I complained that I had to drop the driveshaft to get both hands on the fuel gauge sender -- well, I was lucky I did.

Turns out I have a bad U-joint. I didn't hear or feel anything wrong - so if I didn't drop the shaft I would not have found out about the u-joint until it came apart somewhere inconvenient.

Well spotted! That thing is bad. How did you find it?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See there is a reason for everything or so they say :nabble_smiley_beam:

I use a little wheel bearing grease on the rubber O-ring to hold it in place when installing the sender.

I think I am lucky, will not know till I put gas in the tank, but the O-ring was still in place when I removed the sender and looked like it stayed in place when I put it back together.

Dave ----

Once I had the driveshaft down, I went around and checked all the u-joints for smoothness/movement. it was obvious that something was wrong when I got to that one. it's the only one bad.

This driveshaft has the Spicer 1330 u-joints. The ones I installed did not have grease fittings. Perhaps if I had grease fittings I would have seen the wear/movement while greasing.

I've been considering another mod - but I'll post new.

Once I had the driveshaft down, I went around and checked all the u-joints for smoothness/movement. it was obvious that something was wrong when I got to that one. it's the only one bad.

This driveshaft has the Spicer 1330 u-joints. The ones I installed did not have grease fittings. Perhaps if I had grease fittings I would have seen the wear/movement while greasing.

I've been considering another mod - but I'll post new.

Obviously a good idea, Mike. But that saved a problem down the road, and maybe ON the road.