Bullnose Forums

1981 F250 rear brakes gone

delco1946

SEE what???

Well I guess I’m changing my plans. A 16 year old girl decided to back up into my truck tbone style. Her mother ( not present) is denying anything so who knows what’s in store. There were witnesses but still I’m heart broken.

Oh.

See the writing on the wall.

I thought I missed out on the pics asked for...

My literal, autistic mind at its best...

Oh.

See the writing on the wall.

I thought I missed out on the pics asked for...

My literal, autistic mind at its best...

Although I did not have my phone on me I was lucky and having several witnesses who are very helpful and sent me lots of pictures. One witness just saw her literally drive in to me so that’s good to have that backing. The damage I suppose isn’t all that bad but it’s to sheet metal and I know that’s going to be expensive to fix no matter how minor it is especially when you add on top of that that any parts might be difficult to find. I want to get it fixed regardless since I bought this truck to restore ( maybe take it to antique shows in 20 years!) it, but that leads to why I am partially so upset even if it if it is minor damage. I can’t turn left at the Moment but that’s just because the running board got worked up into the wheel well.

Although I did not have my phone on me I was lucky and having several witnesses who are very helpful and sent me lots of pictures. One witness just saw her literally drive in to me so that’s good to have that backing. The damage I suppose isn’t all that bad but it’s to sheet metal and I know that’s going to be expensive to fix no matter how minor it is especially when you add on top of that that any parts might be difficult to find. I want to get it fixed regardless since I bought this truck to restore ( maybe take it to antique shows in 20 years!) it, but that leads to why I am partially so upset even if it if it is minor damage. I can’t turn left at the Moment but that’s just because the running board got worked up into the wheel well.

You are very fortunate. I hope the lady is insured.

You are very fortunate. I hope the lady is insured.

So I’m feeling better now thanks to my insurance agent. They’re insured so hopefully my next steps will be finding a body shop assuming this is cut and dry. I’m going to be looking for a shop that’s highly rated and maybe even accustomed to working on classics since this is a rarer vehicle in terms of third party support. The door is damaged and I’m wondering if it’s cheaper for me to get an original ford door either NOS ( unlikely to find that in a short turn around time) or from a junk yard. The shop could maybe strip it and prime and paint it to match and avoid doing any body work. This reduces the amount of bondo in my future and gets me a freshly painted door for a similar price. Thoughts on this? The cab corner was also hit so that’s going to have to be pulled out and bondo’d I’m sure. My black trim was also damaged which I think is the rarer trapezoidal trim used in 81 so I’m not sure if they can repair that or what.

So I’m feeling better now thanks to my insurance agent. They’re insured so hopefully my next steps will be finding a body shop assuming this is cut and dry. I’m going to be looking for a shop that’s highly rated and maybe even accustomed to working on classics since this is a rarer vehicle in terms of third party support. The door is damaged and I’m wondering if it’s cheaper for me to get an original ford door either NOS ( unlikely to find that in a short turn around time) or from a junk yard. The shop could maybe strip it and prime and paint it to match and avoid doing any body work. This reduces the amount of bondo in my future and gets me a freshly painted door for a similar price. Thoughts on this? The cab corner was also hit so that’s going to have to be pulled out and bondo’d I’m sure. My black trim was also damaged which I think is the rarer trapezoidal trim used in 81 so I’m not sure if they can repair that or what.

I would try and fight the bondo route. Or at the very least a very, very skim coat. A clean (rust free) junkyard door will be a hard find, and IIRC, the newer doors don't fit well on Bullnose trucks due to differences in the cab corner.

I would try and fight the bondo route. Or at the very least a very, very skim coat. A clean (rust free) junkyard door will be a hard find, and IIRC, the newer doors don't fit well on Bullnose trucks due to differences in the cab corner.

Had to share the good news - the insurance of the young woman who backed into my truck has agreed to pay. I'm so relieved that my baby will get repaired right! This was seriously stressing me out. Now to find a body shop....

Congrat's! That's great! :nabble_anim_claps:

It is and is not just yet.

You have normal insurance coverage on the truck and not classic coverage?

Do you know what book value is on the truck?

I take it you don't know what it will cost to repair it yet?

They can say, her insurance co., will cover it but when they find what it will cost to fix and the trucks vale it could be a total lost. That is why I asked on the insurance YOU have.

I have seen it posted too many times guys having older cars & trucks driving them most of the time with normal insurance and has a fender bender where they can still drive the car / truck but it is totaled because of what it will cost to repair and the value of the car / truck.

When you get close to the 75% of value of car / truck for the repair is time to worry!

Hope it works out but let this be a warning to others.

Yes I have classic insurance on my truck for $11,000 value and I get to keep it if totaled.

Good luck

Dave ----