Bullnose Forums

Tool Trailer for Handyman Service

Ray Cecil

Don't think it'll matter.

I hear you have to look at the total area of the ports between the 2 manifold models.

The DP one has to have less, read smaller ports / less area, because of the divider in the runners.

So the DP will not flow as much with the smaller ports.

Now this can be a good thing or bad thing.

Bad, is it can choke the motor as it cant pull enough air into the motor.

Good, because the air flow is high the fuel will not drop out of the air and pool on the floor of the intake.

Dave ----

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray

I am seeing a lot of things here about upgrading the power train. I have seen one comment that touched on brakes very lightly and another that touched very lightly on tires.

My Bronco was ordered from the factory with the factory trailer package, so read into that larger front and rear brakes, heaver rear springs, larger radiator, bigger alt, trans cooler. larger and bigger capacity tires (30x9.50 r15) and a brake controller and class 3 receiver hitch. Whom ever ordered this Bronco had it down great until they ordered it with 3.08 gears, they kinda blew it there.

Towing a trailer that is going to weight anywhere from 1500 to 3000 lbs more then the pickup already does is going to need more brakes and tires to handle the extra weight. Having the extra power to pull the trailer is worthless if you cant stop it. On to the tires, same thing, if the tires have to soft of a side wall and are not some where in the weight range of a 6 ply tire, it could cause what is called sidewall washout. That is where the reared of the pickup starts to start to un controably sway from side to side and you end up on your roof in the bar ditch.

Just some more food for thought while you are pondering everything else that is on your plate from starting up your business.

Steve

My goal is to make the most money doing the lightest work possible.

:nabble_smiley_happy:

I would also vote for a van or truck with a walk-in shell. Something ready to go right now that you can slap a logo/phone number on the sides.

I'd be afraid of that one time you need a little more room so you throw something in the back of the Ford and then it just escalates from there.

Don't get me wrong, there is a landscaping business in town where the guy uses a really nice 80's Chevy to pull his mowing trailer and while he'd probably be the first one I'd call if I can't do the work myself, I also always wonder if he's ever caught it with a rock or some other occupational hazard.

My goal is to make the most money doing the lightest work possible.

:nabble_smiley_happy:

I would also vote for a van or truck with a walk-in shell. Something ready to go right now that you can slap a logo/phone number on the sides.

I'd be afraid of that one time you need a little more room so you throw something in the back of the Ford and then it just escalates from there.

Don't get me wrong, there is a landscaping business in town where the guy uses a really nice 80's Chevy to pull his mowing trailer and while he'd probably be the first one I'd call if I can't do the work myself, I also always wonder if he's ever caught it with a rock or some other occupational hazard.

I hit my truck with rocks evertime I pull down the drive. Im not worried about scratching or denting. Its already torn up. It has that cool patina look now.

As far as brakes go, e-brakes on the trailer. Problem solved.

Im not sure about the BFG 32" mud terrain for towing. I might need to think about that, or look up their rating.

I hit my truck with rocks evertime I pull down the drive. Im not worried about scratching or denting. Its already torn up. It has that cool patina look now.

Im not sure about the BFG 32" mud terrain for towing. I might need to think about that, or look up their rating.

E-brakes are good. But read up and ask around about the brake controller for the truck. There are several kinds.

Where are you at with your log carrying trailer?

I'd be WAY more worried about the weight of that one than some aluminum box with a bunch of tools in it.

And I have E-rated tires, a -literal- ton of weight in the bed, and a tow package that includes beefy f&r sway bars, big brakes and helper springs.

I've had bad loads (not mine) try to wag the dog before. 😲

I don't offer help to anyone any more.

Where are you at with your log carrying trailer?

I'd be WAY more worried about the weight of that one than some aluminum box with a bunch of tools in it.

And I have E-rated tires, a -literal- ton of weight in the bed, and a tow package that includes beefy f&r sway bars, big brakes and helper springs.

I've had bad loads (not mine) try to wag the dog before. 😲

I don't offer help to anyone any more.

The logging trailer is at a stand still. Ive been out of town working during the week. Weekends are full of kids, wife, and taking care of the property. Once I get back from out of town I will have more time. Ive got a big financial incentive to be going out of town, or I would not be doing it.

As far as the tool trailer goes, Ive got a line on a co-workers dads used 12'. Side door. Rear ramp. Single axle. Has shelves.

I anticipate being booked up for weeks eventually. So that will allow me to subtract tools that arent needed for a few days. So, I wont be hauling around 5000lbs of tools all the time. And I wont be getting on the interstate.

After thinking about it, I need an enclosed trailer with rear ramp so I can roll things in there like a powerwasher, air compressor, lawn mower, gravely bush hog, rented equipment etc. No way I can get some of that stuff up into a cargo van, or a utility truck. If I need to buy lumber longer than 12', I have the 16' car hauler already.

The blue truck will get suspension and fuel injection upgrades. Maybe tires if the 32s are squirely. If it becomes obvious I need a bigger truck then I will get one.

......My goal is to make the most money doing the lightest work possible.

..... After thinking about it, I need an enclosed trailer with rear ramp so I can roll things in there like a powerwasher, air compressor, lawn mower, gravely bush hog, rented equipment etc.

Somehow, the two of these seem mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure what the going labor rate is in KY, but around here you and the family would have to be living in that 12' trailer to make ends meet.

......My goal is to make the most money doing the lightest work possible.

..... After thinking about it, I need an enclosed trailer with rear ramp so I can roll things in there like a powerwasher, air compressor, lawn mower, gravely bush hog, rented equipment etc.

Somehow, the two of these seem mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure what the going labor rate is in KY, but around here you and the family would have to be living in that 12' trailer to make ends meet.

I live in a trailer Jim. So...got that covered.

It helps to have only a mortgage, and a wife that works.

I stuggled in my 20's to bring home $2000 a month. Now, my income plus the wife's we bring home $9000 and are still living mostly like we did in our 20's. Actually, we had a house in our 20s, now we live in a trailer.

The goal is to do this work that makes the bank long enough so I can get debt free. Then I can do what I love to do and not worry about the big dollars.

If my plan falls apart, I will sell everything and start over.

Not affraid to fail anymore.

I dont consider grass cutting, bush hoggin, powerwashing to be heavy work. That is light work in my experience.

I live in a trailer Jim. So...got that covered.

It helps to have only a mortgage, and a wife that works.

I stuggled in my 20's to bring home $2000 a month. Now, my income plus the wife's we bring home $9000 and are still living mostly like we did in our 20's. Actually, we had a house in our 20s, now we live in a trailer.

The goal is to do this work that makes the bank long enough so I can get debt free. Then I can do what I love to do and not worry about the big dollars.

If my plan falls apart, I will sell everything and start over.

Not affraid to fail anymore.

I dont consider grass cutting, bush hoggin, powerwashing to be heavy work. That is light work in my experience.

I always thought of brush hogging and anything behind a Gravely hard work.

I'd rather shovel rocks with a pitchfork all day than spend a few hours behind one of those.

I'm glad you have a great wife and your finances together.

Good luck in your new venture! :nabble_smiley_good: