Bullnose Forums

LED headlights on fleabay

Dave- can you point to a write-up you did on your front bumper fab?

I did not do a write up on just the bumper mod but kind of did it in my truck build.Sorry I did not see this earlier

It starts here and may run a few pages

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/81-F100-flare-side-custom-with-300-six-T18-tp15348p23129.html

I should have made the opening just a little larger to give the light more room for adjustment, I thought I did when making it.

What it looks like done

20191103_171329.jpg.50a637ef8607ec30af801a122a26adfc.jpg

Dave ----

Dave- can you point to a write-up you did on your front bumper fab?

I did not do a write up on just the bumper mod but kind of did it in my truck build.Sorry I did not see this earlier

It starts here and may run a few pages

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/81-F100-flare-side-custom-with-300-six-T18-tp15348p23129.html

I should have made the opening just a little larger to give the light more room for adjustment, I thought I did when making it.

What it looks like done

Dave ----

Dave, I'm following this with interest, as I'm right there in my fog light quest.

The epoxy on my relay box fuse holder is hardening and the primer on my bumper brackets is drying...

Though I'm using the stays behind my bricknose bumper to mount the lights.

IMG_20191211_131006.thumb.jpg.54cbff3dfb60033aa7ab52cdd8657381.jpg

If some of the mud is gone maybe I will pull the bumper and weld them in tomorrow.

Dave, I'm following this with interest, as I'm right there in my fog light quest.

The epoxy on my relay box fuse holder is hardening and the primer on my bumper brackets is drying...

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n45493/IMG_20191211_131006.jpg

If some of the mud is gone maybe I will pull the bumper and weld them in tomorrow.

Looks like you took a clue from the newer trucks as they use brackets to bolt the lights to and not the bumper, look good.

Dave ----

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n45493/IMG_20191211_131006.jpg

Looks like you took a clue from the newer trucks as they use brackets to bolt the lights to and not the bumper, look good.

Dave ----

My gigantic bricknose bumper has a diagonal brace on either side.

Otherwise, it's just a piece of 10 or 8Ga. tinfoil compared to a Bullnose bumper.

This is one reason I'll have to mount them so far outboard.

I'm just providing a flat surface, normal to the direction of travel.

Hope I don't have to do too much tweaking when I weld them in.

Put one of the lights to my battery today.

They weren't kidding about the lumens these things put out! 😲

Otherwise, it's just a piece of 10 or 8Ga. tinfoil compared to a Bullnose bumper.

yea led tech is pretty darn awesome, and a fraction of the power draw. I get flashed now and again even though my lights are cut to the right height etc. So I flash back with the LEDs on "surface of the sun" setting.

yea led tech is pretty darn awesome, and a fraction of the power draw. I get flashed now and again even though my lights are cut to the right height etc. So I flash back with the LEDs on "surface of the sun" setting.

speaking of a fraction of the power. I wonder if anyone has added up what all the lighting would draw in the 1980's vs now with the LED tech. Easiest way may be to multiple the number of each type of bulb on the build sheet by its wattage rating.

speaking of a fraction of the power. I wonder if anyone has added up what all the lighting would draw in the 1980's vs now with the LED tech. Easiest way may be to multiple the number of each type of bulb on the build sheet by its wattage rating.

So, what about I create an interactive spreadsheet and put it on a page under Documentation/Electrical/Lighting? I could put in the wattage of the tungsten bulbs and have a column for whatever bulbs you want to put in, and there will be auto-summed totals at the bottom.

You could measure load off the battery with them all switched on.

It's a more pragmatic and real world approach.

The milliwatts that memory uses are less that rounding error.

LED's are about 1/8 (12%) the wattage for same lumens.

But there has been noticed an effect where everyone from governments and industry to apartment dwellers add more light because it's cheaper and easier to maintain.

(And "because they want to")

But there has been noticed an effect where everyone from governments and industry to apartment dwellers add more light because it's cheaper and easier to maintain.

Definitely an easier approach, and gets all the bits and pieces you may miss.

What I like about where Gary is going, if he feels up to it, is it could evolve to where you could basically do a build on paper combining standard and LED bulbs to see how much power you need, say to size an alternator or something. Granted, going for the largest you can fit generally solves that problem without playing around.

Definitely an easier approach, and gets all the bits and pieces you may miss.

What I like about where Gary is going, if he feels up to it, is it could evolve to where you could basically do a build on paper combining standard and LED bulbs to see how much power you need, say to size an alternator or something. Granted, going for the largest you can fit generally solves that problem without playing around.

I don't think changing out all the bulbs in my dash saved too many watts, but it sure is brighter! :nabble_smiley_thinking: