Bullnose Forums

XLS Dream

MotorsportXLT

Sounds like you and Shaun should put your heads together.

I have no idea what would come out, but it would be AWESOME!

I started to read his list of hard to find parts he was collecting to create a "clone" and I instantly thought of my F150. Haha.

Yes, I instantly thought of Shaun.

This ~is a very cool project! I hope the ‘82 flareside works out as a viable “subject” to build on. I cannot comment on the engine or transmission, as I know zero about either. That also makes it hard to comment on 2wd vs. 4wd since I don’t know if this is going to be very fast or just at a more modern power level. And I can’t really say how it fits into your collection that already includes an aeronose lightning edition?

Cosmetically I think you have a great color picked out. That blue looks super sharp with the blackout treatment. I also think the blue XLS had the best overall look with the stripe kit also being shades of blue. Do you intend to recreate that? How about the window mask? As you and I talked about on messenger, the silver bezels look amazing with the black interior. I would not go too crazy trying to find a dash shell that was originally black. The plastic itself is a white color, and all came painted from the factory. I painted a blue one to put in my ‘81. I used the SEM sand free prep, and Duplicolor black. It has been extremely tough, and held up to a lot of abuse. I have hauled things in the cab that rubbed on it. My grandkids have put their muddy feet on it and kicked at it while in their car seats. I (jokingly) told them if they didn’t knock it off I would cut their feet off and held up a pruning bow saw. Then it just became a game and they did it even more... 😅. To my amazement when I wipe it down with a damp cloth it looks just as good as the day I painted it.

This ~is a very cool project! I hope the ‘82 flareside works out as a viable “subject” to build on. I cannot comment on the engine or transmission, as I know zero about either. That also makes it hard to comment on 2wd vs. 4wd since I don’t know if this is going to be very fast or just at a more modern power level. And I can’t really say how it fits into your collection that already includes an aeronose lightning edition?

Cosmetically I think you have a great color picked out. That blue looks super sharp with the blackout treatment. I also think the blue XLS had the best overall look with the stripe kit also being shades of blue. Do you intend to recreate that? How about the window mask? As you and I talked about on messenger, the silver bezels look amazing with the black interior. I would not go too crazy trying to find a dash shell that was originally black. The plastic itself is a white color, and all came painted from the factory. I painted a blue one to put in my ‘81. I used the SEM sand free prep, and Duplicolor black. It has been extremely tough, and held up to a lot of abuse. I have hauled things in the cab that rubbed on it. My grandkids have put their muddy feet on it and kicked at it while in their car seats. I (jokingly) told them if they didn’t knock it off I would cut their feet off and held up a pruning bow saw. Then it just became a game and they did it even more... 😅. To my amazement when I wipe it down with a damp cloth it looks just as good as the day I painted it.

Basically I want this truck to look 100% stock on the outside. So I will be doing the blackout treatment around the windows, and I will recreate the XLS stripes the best I can with the pictures out there. I plan on keeping my areonose Lightning 100%. It has a lot of miles but its a "virgin" truck and its all original (even the radio). I kind of want to make the XLS the sport truck it should have been. I know the 80s were terrible for performance and such One of the downfalls with the XLS in my pinon, is they did all the aggressive sporty styling and they didn't have the performance to match it. That's kind of why I want to do a coyote swap. On the other hand ever since I started driving I have really wanted a 4x4 Flareside. It is definitely going to be a hard decision. Thanks for the info on the paint! If it's holding up to abuse, then I will just paint a dash.

Basically I want this truck to look 100% stock on the outside. So I will be doing the blackout treatment around the windows, and I will recreate the XLS stripes the best I can with the pictures out there. I plan on keeping my areonose Lightning 100%. It has a lot of miles but its a "virgin" truck and its all original (even the radio). I kind of want to make the XLS the sport truck it should have been. I know the 80s were terrible for performance and such One of the downfalls with the XLS in my pinon, is they did all the aggressive sporty styling and they didn't have the performance to match it. That's kind of why I want to do a coyote swap. On the other hand ever since I started driving I have really wanted a 4x4 Flareside. It is definitely going to be a hard decision. Thanks for the info on the paint! If it's holding up to abuse, then I will just paint a dash.

Chris - Are you saying the Coyote never came in a 4x4 truck? I thought it did so you can have both the 4x4 and a Coyote.

Chris - Are you saying the Coyote never came in a 4x4 truck? I thought it did so you can have both the 4x4 and a Coyote.

Even if it did not who is to say you cant?

I say if the products are all Ford but just not put together by Ford then why not do what the factory should have done.

On my 81 F100 flare side I did just that.

I added a rear 19 gallon tank using all factory parts from a style side truck right down to the dash switch that is factory.

Then I used the style side metal ribbed floor in place of the wood floor, lack of funds is why.

Don't get me wrong I do like a wood floor flare side but the metal floor will last longer and no up keep and it looks factory also.

Last is factory bumpers I added a custom touch to.

No bolts showing from the outside.

The front I added driving / fog into the bumper, the factory could have done this.

It is your truck build it as you like!

Dave ----