Bullnose Forums

XLS Dream

MotorsportXLT

It is your truck build it as you like!

Dave ----

Can't stress this enough. It even applies to the guys putting 20" wheels on these trucks. I think they look awful, but not my truck, not my problem.

My truck is technically a bricknose but I prefer bullnose trucks so I'm building it as a bullnose, and I prefer the 80-81 trucks so I'm building it as an 80-81.

Chris - Are you saying the Coyote never came in a 4x4 truck? I thought it did so you can have both the 4x4 and a Coyote.

They make 4x4 coyote trucks. Basically I am torn on going all out making a 2wd sport truck, or doing a 4x4. If I did a 2x4 coyote, I would want to do a crown vic front suspension swap.

Chris - Are you saying the Coyote never came in a 4x4 truck? I thought it did so you can have both the 4x4 and a Coyote.

Even if it did not who is to say you cant?

I say if the products are all Ford but just not put together by Ford then why not do what the factory should have done.

On my 81 F100 flare side I did just that.

I added a rear 19 gallon tank using all factory parts from a style side truck right down to the dash switch that is factory.

Then I used the style side metal ribbed floor in place of the wood floor, lack of funds is why.

Don't get me wrong I do like a wood floor flare side but the metal floor will last longer and no up keep and it looks factory also.

Last is factory bumpers I added a custom touch to.

No bolts showing from the outside.

The front I added driving / fog into the bumper, the factory could have done this.

It is your truck build it as you like!

Dave ----

Do you have a write up on doing a 19 gal dual tank setup on a short box?

Dave can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe his front tank is still the factory 16 gallon. He added the 19 gallon rear tank. The Styleside short box trucks were available with the rear tank, it's just that the Flaresides were not. Dave did some pretty crafty work grafting the 2nd fuel filler door into the Flareside fiberglass fender.

Again, Dave can correct me here, but I think it would be really difficult to swap a 19 gallon front/side tank into a short box truck.

Dave can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe his front tank is still the factory 16 gallon. He added the 19 gallon rear tank. The Styleside short box trucks were available with the rear tank, it's just that the Flaresides were not. Dave did some pretty crafty work grafting the 2nd fuel filler door into the Flareside fiberglass fender.

Again, Dave can correct me here, but I think it would be really difficult to swap a 19 gallon front/side tank into a short box truck.

Cory you are right.

There is not enough room to use a 19 gal side tank in place of the 16 gall on a short wheel bed truck, I tried.

20160504_195500.jpg.a70de08fac6723d3a7accbbf4e99ce40.jpg

I used everything from my long bed parts truck rear 19 gal fuel system.

Beside the tank & straps the cross member just in front of the tank is different, IIRC it has the slots for the straps.

20160515_173226.jpg.da33b9e4b6161a46e8b0ed90901618a8.jpg

Wiring is also different from the main harness across the dash to the switch and the one that runs down the frame as it is also setup for duel, 2 gauge sender wires and fuel switch valve. I used all this from my parts truck. Could you make a harness to do this? I guess you could but it would be work.

For the filler door my brother sent me part of the glass fender w/door and the filler neck parts to the top of the tank from the front tank from a flare side. I cut the hole in the fender and glassed in this door to look factory.

20180428_131324.jpg.33a88001e538291892cfdfc4f11dbb0b.jpg

20180428_131438.jpg.70d09002e1e6cc4ea9c6bdae363e33ad.jpg

20180428_174719.jpg.19a046338a151a27a69130dbd1dbeaa1.jpg

20180428_174803.jpg.fc3cd2cc83bf46837d2a9f8ad9c09898.jpg

20180429_165131.jpg.1f9b76c476f78a8f6e95632fa59495c3.jpg

On the filler necks I had the mickey mouse setup my truck came with, the front & rear style side parts truck and the parts my brother sent with the filler door.

I think I used the parts my brother sent to fix the front factory tank to be factory, hard part is the fill / vent setup the factory uses.

With the left over parts I came up with the rear that would work. Again making sure the factory fill / vent would work as it should.

20180512_103304.jpg.1bd002628ae7204da78f94467f66ece3.jpg

20180512_104127.jpg.99b7f1e54bf4ea6bc3919be1ac1d13ff.jpg

20180512_105204.jpg.d44f800737134d9a76b9b19dfd1c0178.jpg

20180512_140008.jpg.97db670f5ee0f32033018dd514e28f7e.jpg

I even used the evap system from the duel tank truck right down to the 2 charcoal canisters under the battery.

20191006_082038.jpg.a663423acace94a412ab82c4f6b592e9.jpg

20191006_153607.jpg.558a907c29cf6b2c3b36b2fb5d145d1b.jpg

I know a few others have done this but they don't get into the wiring / dash switch or the fill necks / epav / switching valve setup.

For me it was easy as I had the parts truck with duel tanks I took everything from

Dave ----

Cory you are right.

There is not enough room to use a 19 gal side tank in place of the 16 gall on a short wheel bed truck, I tried.

I used everything from my long bed parts truck rear 19 gal fuel system.

Beside the tank & straps the cross member just in front of the tank is different, IIRC it has the slots for the straps.

Wiring is also different from the main harness across the dash to the switch and the one that runs down the frame as it is also setup for duel, 2 gauge sender wires and fuel switch valve. I used all this from my parts truck. Could you make a harness to do this? I guess you could but it would be work.

For the filler door my brother sent me part of the glass fender w/door and the filler neck parts to the top of the tank from the front tank from a flare side. I cut the hole in the fender and glassed in this door to look factory.

On the filler necks I had the mickey mouse setup my truck came with, the front & rear style side parts truck and the parts my brother sent with the filler door.

I think I used the parts my brother sent to fix the front factory tank to be factory, hard part is the fill / vent setup the factory uses.

With the left over parts I came up with the rear that would work. Again making sure the factory fill / vent would work as it should.

I even used the evap system from the duel tank truck right down to the 2 charcoal canisters under the battery.

I know a few others have done this but they don't get into the wiring / dash switch or the fill necks / epav / switching valve setup.

For me it was easy as I had the parts truck with duel tanks I took everything from

Dave ----

Awesome write up! Thank you for the info on the 16 vs 19 gallon side tank. I figured it would be too big for the short wheel base.

Awesome write up! Thank you for the info on the 16 vs 19 gallon side tank. I figured it would be too big for the short wheel base.

To tell you I did not have a "write up" before I just posted what I did in my build thread and I may not have even gotten that deep into it on here as I did in another forum but again it was just a bit in passing.

This is a lot better "write up" of what I did to add the rear tank on a flare side. For me having the parts truck to take everything from was a god send as I don't know if I would have added it other wise.

The other thing I was looking into was a 38 gallon rear tank. Only issue with that is where to place the spare tire? With the factory 19 gallon rear tank I can still mount the spare under it. I don't have a wheel that fits my truck or it would be mounted.

As for the 19 gallon side tank it would have been nice if it fit but with the 19 gallon rear and the amount I have been or will be driving the truck I don't think a 19 gallon side tank will be needed.

I also don't know why Ford used the 16 gallon side tank and not the 19 gallon rear tank or both like I did?

Just after I got the truck on the road 2 weeks ago the rear tank sender stopped working. I filled both tanks up and been running it off the rear tank to run it dry so I can drop it to fix. I just fixed the speedo so don't know how far I have gone but just guessing between 150 & 200 miles.

Because we will not be driving them all over like we did back in the 80's when new do we really need 40 gallons of gas other than to say we can? Then again the guys with big v8's may wish they had 80 gallons LOL

Sorry for the rambling

Dave ----

.... we will not be driving them all over like we did back in the 80's when new do we really need 40 gallons of gas other than to say we can? Then again the guys with big v8's may wish they had 80 gallons LOL

I do.

&

I do!

Believe me, it's not as if I haven't considered getting a transfer tank for the bed.

The idea of 100+ gallons of high test right outside my rear slider put me off to it.

.... we will not be driving them all over like we did back in the 80's when new do we really need 40 gallons of gas other than to say we can? Then again the guys with big v8's may wish they had 80 gallons LOL

I do.

&

I do!

Believe me, it's not as if I haven't considered getting a transfer tank for the bed.

The idea of 100+ gallons of high test right outside my rear slider put me off to it.

Ditto! I'll have 19 gallons mid-ship and 38 gallons in the rear on Big Blue. I plan to drive the wheels off the truck on many long trips, and at the hoped-for 14 MPG the range of a 19 gallon tank isn't going to cut it.