Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I'm using Big Blue to pull the trailer on Saturday to help some people move from south Tulsa to Skiatook, a round trip of 70 miles. So we shall see if the MPG improves any.

Would you have any interest in a good used set of "protrusions"? They only have about 1200 "smiles" on the pair!!! :nabble_anim_blbl:

No thanks, I doubt they'll help Big Blue's MPG. (There's very little that can help a 460 beyond EFI and OD - both of which are "in the works" as you know.) And, they seem to draw unwanted attention. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

As for time, there's precious little of it these days, and what I have is mainly for the grandtwins. :nabble_anim_jump:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No thanks, I doubt they'll help Big Blue's MPG. (There's very little that can help a 460 beyond EFI and OD - both of which are "in the works" as you know.) And, they seem to draw unwanted attention. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

As for time, there's precious little of it these days, and what I have is mainly for the grandtwins. :nabble_anim_jump:

During the week I checked to see if the rear brake needed adjusting because of the low pedal. Well they were tight and I found 1 wheel had fluid leaking from it. Cleaned it up turn the wheel so the wet part was in a different place and see what will happen.

Well today I checked and it was wet again but not as bad so I cleaned it again and sprayed with brake clean. I checked the bleeder & line and both were tight. I will keep an eye on it and if still leaking will have to pull the wheel. Everything is new so I hope the shoes are not wet!

I then started on the rear fuel door install in the fender.

20180428_131324.jpg.cea33dc7872bcb0b9a2b10182398c03a.jpg

20180428_131438.jpg.e5539afaa2fd55f6b922c32a661e3644.jpg

Now after I got it trimmed and fitted I wondered if the door should open from the front and not the rear? With it opening from the rear like the front does, it may be hard to get the nozzle in to fill. But I could not turn it around because of the way I trimmed the door part so from the rear it is.

I went looking for the glass rosin and was out of it but did cut the glass mat and would get the rosin later.

So I moved on to the tail gate and did a trial fit. Bed sides were out so had to use a ratchet strap to pull them in some. I also need to shim the hinges out a little and maybe push the rear sill pan in a little to clear the gate & pan at the bottom but other wise looks good.

20180428_131335.jpg.60f263d588ed256271c17adafd7bf4c5.jpg

And yes I know the latch is wrong.

20180428_131348.jpg.de78567d438fecfafae8c35cf762a1ec.jpg

I then looked in to why the motor had a miss so pulled the plugs and cleaned them as they were black from when the carb was bad before rebuild. I also installed the new cap, rotor and plug wires.

She is now hitting on all 6 holes! I even adjusted the carb some, hooked the dist. up to the right port on the carb and put the air filter back on. You know the carb rebuild kit did not come with the gasket for carb to filter!

I let it run for a bit and the water temp gauge runs low and not seeing a lot of flow thru the radiator but the hoses are hot. I will replace the stat when I drain the water for the 50/50 mix.

Hit the hardware store for washers shims for the tail gate, rosin & cheap brushes, no rosin but AZ had it next door. Back in the garage we mixed up some rosin and started to glass in the door part.

I will remove the clamps when it sets up and glass the other areas.

20180428_174719.jpg.9e7cc1d36e5069d9c2dc343598aea11c.jpg

The under side

20180428_174803.jpg.c152e2750b151237088111017c1a8854.jpg

This fender also had a few cracks so I glassed them too on the back side.

20180428_174728.jpg.a9be0f5891487e950baace2c59fc2f23.jpg

20180428_174736.jpg.04f1ec5cfb367031498db1e68904c5a5.jpg

Dave ----

During the week I checked to see if the rear brake needed adjusting because of the low pedal. Well they were tight and I found 1 wheel had fluid leaking from it. Cleaned it up turn the wheel so the wet part was in a different place and see what will happen.

Well today I checked and it was wet again but not as bad so I cleaned it again and sprayed with brake clean. I checked the bleeder & line and both were tight. I will keep an eye on it and if still leaking will have to pull the wheel. Everything is new so I hope the shoes are not wet!

Now after I got it trimmed and fitted I wondered if the door should open from the front and not the rear? With it opening from the rear like the front does, it may be hard to get the nozzle in to fill. But I could not turn it around because of the way I trimmed the door part so from the rear it is.

I went looking for the glass rosin and was out of it but did cut the glass mat and would get the rosin later.

So I moved on to the tail gate and did a trial fit. Bed sides were out so had to use a ratchet strap to pull them in some. I also need to shim the hinges out a little and maybe push the rear sill pan in a little to clear the gate & pan at the bottom but other wise looks good.

I then looked in to why the motor had a miss so pulled the plugs and cleaned them as they were black from when the carb was bad before rebuild. I also installed the new cap, rotor and plug wires.

She is now hitting on all 6 holes! I even adjusted the carb some, hooked the dist. up to the right port on the carb and put the air filter back on. You know the carb rebuild kit did not come with the gasket for carb to filter!

I let it run for a bit and the water temp gauge runs low and not seeing a lot of flow thru the radiator but the hoses are hot. I will replace the stat when I drain the water for the 50/50 mix.

Hit the hardware store for washers shims for the tail gate, rosin & cheap brushes, no rosin but AZ had it next door. Back in the garage we mixed up some rosin and started to glass in the door part.

The under side

Dave ----

You are a dynamo! Really good progress, and you are handling the little issues with aplomb. Well done!

The under side

Dave ----

Excellent progress Dave! You did a fantastic job on that fuel door. Is it looking like you can use the styleside filler hose and hard pipe? Are you saying you wish you had oriented it with the hinge toward the body? Glad you got it running better. You should be able to drive it before too long.

Excellent progress Dave! You did a fantastic job on that fuel door. Is it looking like you can use the styleside filler hose and hard pipe? Are you saying you wish you had oriented it with the hinge toward the body? Glad you got it running better. You should be able to drive it before too long.

Thanks guys

I don't know yet on the hose / pipe from the style side (SS) or using the flare side (FS) stuff.

The FS truck came with a hacked up filler pipe & hose. For the front I don't remember what I have used as I had the front & rear from the SS. My brother also sent me the hard pipe and a short part of the rubber hose & inner plastic tube from a FS so I am sure I can come up with something.

Now I do know you can not use the SS plastic box that fits on the back side of the fender / bed side or door as the bolt spacing that holds it and the door is different, so I found out, but the hard tube does un-screw from the plastic box.

Yes On the door hinge opening from the rear and not the front like it is. If you pull up to the pump for the front tank the nozzle will fit in now on the new door try and fill the rear you have to come in from the back side as the door opens in the way. Look at the fender flat side going farther back now.

I did not think of this till it was too late. Besides I think others that have done this had the hinge on the front and never said anything about the nozzle so we will see.

I also think the DRW trucks have the hinge on the front so I maybe over thinking this???

Dave ----

Thanks guys

I don't know yet on the hose / pipe from the style side (SS) or using the flare side (FS) stuff.

The FS truck came with a hacked up filler pipe & hose. For the front I don't remember what I have used as I had the front & rear from the SS. My brother also sent me the hard pipe and a short part of the rubber hose & inner plastic tube from a FS so I am sure I can come up with something.

Now I do know you can not use the SS plastic box that fits on the back side of the fender / bed side or door as the bolt spacing that holds it and the door is different, so I found out, but the hard tube does un-screw from the plastic box.

Yes On the door hinge opening from the rear and not the front like it is. If you pull up to the pump for the front tank the nozzle will fit in now on the new door try and fill the rear you have to come in from the back side as the door opens in the way. Look at the fender flat side going farther back now.

I did not think of this till it was too late. Besides I think others that have done this had the hinge on the front and never said anything about the nozzle so we will see.

I also think the DRW trucks have the hinge on the front so I maybe over thinking this???

Dave ----

Got more done today

Pulled the clamps off and glassed the areas I could not with the clamps in place.

Wile that set up I spaced out the tail gate hinges, 1 washer between body & hinge worked but I don't like it so going to find flat stock and make a spacer the full size of the hinge base.

Back on the fender with the 2nd fuel door, I found another crack so mixed up more rosin when I put a 2nd coat on the door glass.

When that set up I mounted fender to the body so it would not move when working on it.

I mixed up filler that has fine fiber lass in it for the first coat on the out side of the fender and finished off with normal filler. Also did the cracks on the outside and sanded both fenders down.

Have 1 more crack that needs filler and more sanding on the fenders along the edges.

20180429_165105.jpg.5f5f875d6938f79ac9d92ddea0cc3c5f.jpg

20180429_165131.jpg.6687c0be22952ba178db80883caacf57.jpg

As you can see the truck is outside under it's own power. When out I cleaned up the mess and blew the truck off.

Dave ----

Got more done today

Pulled the clamps off and glassed the areas I could not with the clamps in place.

Wile that set up I spaced out the tail gate hinges, 1 washer between body & hinge worked but I don't like it so going to find flat stock and make a spacer the full size of the hinge base.

Back on the fender with the 2nd fuel door, I found another crack so mixed up more rosin when I put a 2nd coat on the door glass.

When that set up I mounted fender to the body so it would not move when working on it.

I mixed up filler that has fine fiber lass in it for the first coat on the out side of the fender and finished off with normal filler. Also did the cracks on the outside and sanded both fenders down.

Have 1 more crack that needs filler and more sanding on the fenders along the edges.

As you can see the truck is outside under it's own power. When out I cleaned up the mess and blew the truck off.

Dave ----

Wow! That's major progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

I would say little over an hour more work on the 2 fenders, edges & 1 small bondo spot, and I can get primer on them.

I will not prim them till the tail gate and/or hood are ready for primer. No need to dirty the spray gun for 2 fenders that will not rust before primed.

Dave ----

I would say little over an hour more work on the 2 fenders, edges & 1 small bondo spot, and I can get primer on them.

I will not prim them till the tail gate and/or hood are ready for primer. No need to dirty the spray gun for 2 fenders that will not rust before primed.

Dave ----

What did I do to my truck today? Drove it! Our daughter and grandtwins went to see the other grandparents so we thought we'd just get out of the house and go some place different. So my wife Googled "historic bridges of Oklahoma" and we set out to find a few of them. Turns out there are four within a few miles of our home.

Here's Big Blue on one of larger bridges:

Two-Lane_Bridge.thumb.jpg.bddabb8b4da48783568562305aba2a7c.jpg

And, here he is on a one-lane bridge:

One_Lane_Bridge.thumb.jpg.9850bed592798d6700b469662367bd6d.jpg

All in all, Big Blue did well. :nabble_smiley_good:

What did I do to my truck today? Drove it! Our daughter and grandtwins went to see the other grandparents so we thought we'd just get out of the house and go some place different. So my wife Googled "historic bridges of Oklahoma" and we set out to find a few of them. Turns out there are four within a few miles of our home.

Here's Big Blue on one of larger bridges:

And, here he is on a one-lane bridge:

All in all, Big Blue did well. :nabble_smiley_good:

Looking good! :nabble_anim_claps: