Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I'll bite - how did Trixie train Mary, and to do what? :nabble_anim_confused:

As for what I did today, I packed Huck's bags and loaded him up. The first problem I encountered was that I had the lift under Huck and couldn't set it down on the trailer. So I put a couple of eye-bolts in the frame at the rear, ran chain to them, and secured the chain to the rear arms of the lift.

Huck_Getting_Ready_To_Leave.thumb.jpg.44368e9e8630d14cb30473a99291e609.jpg

In the front I ran chain from the arms and under a high spot in the frame that wouldn't hit the trailer when I set it down.

Huck_Chained_To_The_Lift.thumb.jpg.630603f7d5c7011e31ba2c4385b5ba81.jpg

Then I pushed the trailer in with Big Blue in 4Lo. Note the magnetic angle finder on the corner. That's just high enough I can see it from the cab, which let's me know where that corner is. And I stopped 6" shy of Dad's truck.

Trailer_Close_To_Dads.thumb.jpg.93b86a32801f3a0ca3ac928b9406d81d.jpg

I had 5" to spare on either side between the trailer and the lift, but that was easily done since I could see what I was doing. I'm sold on the front hitch. :nabble_smiley_good:

Trailer_Close_To_Lift.thumb.jpg.d24592d54a28aec02915740418441d61.jpg

And, here's Huck all tied up and awaiting his run to the scrap yard in the morning.

Huck_Tied_Down.thumb.jpg.4820f8a84d1e7763841d8e169470517a.jpg

She sits on all 4 matching wheels .......... and all before 6AM!

My normal get up time is 3am but did not need to be to work till 7am so I hit the garage at 4am till 6am.

I mounted the new calipers & new pads, moved the new hoses from the calipers that did not fit to the new ones and even bleed them.

Had to look thru the parts bins for lug nuts and came up a few short. I don't remember being short some but it has been over2 years.

And wouldn't you know 1 of the tires was flat!

20180411_183406.jpg.c6bbab8df863a7e79ac70769f860b634.jpg

I still need to move it forward & back to settle the suspension and tighten bolts front and rear yet.

Getting closer to ...... who are we kidding it will never be done LOL

Dave ----

She sits on all 4 matching wheels .......... and all before 6AM!

My normal get up time is 3am but did not need to be to work till 7am so I hit the garage at 4am till 6am.

I mounted the new calipers & new pads, moved the new hoses from the calipers that did not fit to the new ones and even bleed them.

Had to look thru the parts bins for lug nuts and came up a few short. I don't remember being short some but it has been over2 years.

And wouldn't you know 1 of the tires was flat!

I still need to move it forward & back to settle the suspension and tighten bolts front and rear yet.

Getting closer to ...... who are we kidding it will never be done LOL

Dave ----

Landmark day! Congrat's!!! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes it was.

With no glass, hood, grill & bumper and using black primer it looks worst than the day I brought it home.

I know a lot was done to it that you can't see.

My dad always said he like body work as you can see what was done.

Mechanical work when done you never saw.

I would say with out mechanical work his body work would not be on the road LOL.

Dave - - - -

Yes it was.

With no glass, hood, grill & bumper and using black primer it looks worst than the day I brought it home.

I know a lot was done to it that you can't see.

My dad always said he like body work as you can see what was done.

Mechanical work when done you never saw.

I would say with out mechanical work his body work would not be on the road LOL.

Dave - - - -

Dave - It does tend to take a degree of mechanical capability for a body to go down the road. And a well-done body w/o the mechanical capability is a yard ornament. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for what I did to my truck(s) today, I got rid of one - Huck. Used Blue to tow him down since Big Blue's fuel system is leaking, so that went easily. But, into the STRONG south wind the instantaneous MPG was showing 9 at 67 going down and 18+ on the way back. Big Blue might have been able to get the 9, but the only way he'd ever get 18 is downhill with the engine off - and the leak fixed.

Here's Huck's ignominious end:

IMG_0054.jpg.23ea38fe8b47907ff5c1604e82ef1412.jpg

Then, when I got home I put the trailer up in the carport behind the shop. This shot is to remind me to lock the hubs in next time. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Unlocked_Hubs.thumb.jpg.e5fa0bc0f001fc8979f2de4fcb404780.jpg

This shot shows how close it is - a total of about 6" between the trailer and the posts. So close I'd not attempt it w/o the front hitch.

Trailer_Almost_Stored.thumb.jpg.b799ce07c3eb83769d256427abc933a5.jpg

Job done. Now I can put Big Blue in the shop and check out the fuel leak.

Trailer_Stored.thumb.jpg.ef0d57b46437542b1e27874bea5a1117.jpg

Dave - It does tend to take a degree of mechanical capability for a body to go down the road. And a well-done body w/o the mechanical capability is a yard ornament. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for what I did to my truck(s) today, I got rid of one - Huck. Used Blue to tow him down since Big Blue's fuel system is leaking, so that went easily. But, into the STRONG south wind the instantaneous MPG was showing 9 at 67 going down and 18+ on the way back. Big Blue might have been able to get the 9, but the only way he'd ever get 18 is downhill with the engine off - and the leak fixed.

Here's Huck's ignominious end:

Then, when I got home I put the trailer up in the carport behind the shop. This shot is to remind me to lock the hubs in next time. :nabble_smiley_blush:

This shot shows how close it is - a total of about 6" between the trailer and the posts. So close I'd not attempt it w/o the front hitch.

Job done. Now I can put Big Blue in the shop and check out the fuel leak.

Gary, do you need this piece or do you have a replacement already?

E307A27D-E0F8-4AC9-8C0F-0210113AFDE6.jpeg.ecbdfd572cd4c361e5b773384c874606.jpeg

5B8FDEA4-895D-4926-85D7-07E5547E7D7F.thumb.jpeg.ae2dfda9be7f528854b91ac58413a35a.jpeg

If it’s still there I could grab it at the junkyard.

I am curious, how did the brick nose get the name “Huck”? I tried to look in the threads and didn’t find any mention. Just curious...

Gary, do you need this piece or do you have a replacement already?

If it’s still there I could grab it at the junkyard.

I am curious, how did the brick nose get the name “Huck”? I tried to look in the threads and didn’t find any mention. Just curious...

Well spotted, Jonathan. I have a NOS piece that will go on when I "restore" Big Blue. But, in the interim I'd love to have that replacement. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for Huck - merge "half" and "truck" and what do you get? Huck seemed more kind than Hack. Sort of a Tom Sawyer type of name. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Now, back to the microfiche tower.....