Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Ouch! The dent hurts. :nabble_smiley_cry: But at least you found it before you painted it.

As for the bushings, does the pin still fit nicely after honing? My worry would be that you may make them too large just to get the two to align. But if the pin fits nicely then perhaps not.

All in all, it seems like it is six steps forward and three backward. The back-steps always happen, but to have three happen in one go has to be rough. Hang in there!

That dent did hurt when I found it but as you said best now and not when I was putting the paint on.

I too was worried about the pin & bushing fitment but I had a hard time trying to turn the spindle. So much so I was thinking if I left it and got the truck on the road the wheels would not come back to center if you were in a turn and let go of the wheel.

When I road tested the truck before I bought it I did not know the pins were frozen. I let go of the wheel and it did not re-center and almost ended up in a ditch!

Other than honing of the bushings like I did I would have had to buy a new set and find another machine shop, few of them around here, or tell them how to do their job and at $100 for pin kit and $75 for the machine work that was not going to happen.

I guess you can say I think I took the lesser of the 2 evils?

Once on the road I will keep an eye on them and if they get too bad either replace them or find a newer front suspension that uses ball joints. Then I could also go with DJM drop beams.

Dave ----

Todays update:

Light day work wise, I had 1 axle / spindle that I did not like the way it turned, not easy so I pulled it all apart did a little more bushing honing to loosen it up some.

With that taken care of it was time to prep for paint along with the dust shields.

Little back story on the shields I wanted to use the parts truck ones as the ones that went with the axles/spindles 1 had a little rot. Well they were different, mounting dish is deeper on the ones I need, so parts truck ones could not be used.

Axle beams with spindles hanging, dust shields on hood drying after painting.

20180401_144758.jpg.fa33fca4758f907912c4f613e9e110ec.jpg

During the week I will pick up new brake pads & wheel seals so next weekend I hope to get them installed and back down on all 4 wheels.

Dave ----

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Todays update:

Light day work wise, I had 1 axle / spindle that I did not like the way it turned, not easy so I pulled it all apart did a little more bushing honing to loosen it up some.

With that taken care of it was time to prep for paint along with the dust shields.

Little back story on the shields I wanted to use the parts truck ones as the ones that went with the axles/spindles 1 had a little rot. Well they were different, mounting dish is deeper on the ones I need, so parts truck ones could not be used.

Axle beams with spindles hanging, dust shields on hood drying after painting.

During the week I will pick up new brake pads & wheel seals so next weekend I hope to get them installed and back down on all 4 wheels.

Dave ----

Dave - Getting the truck down on all fours is a major milestone in my book. I'm hoping to get Dad's truck there this Spring, so I understand. The parts look great, and I can't wait to see the truck sitting normal again. :nabble_anim_jump:

As for me and my trucks, I slacked off and didn't go out into the cold and adjust the headlights. :nabble_smiley_sad: But have to do that tonight, for sure.

Dave - Getting the truck down on all fours is a major milestone in my book. I'm hoping to get Dad's truck there this Spring, so I understand. The parts look great, and I can't wait to see the truck sitting normal again. :nabble_anim_jump:

As for me and my trucks, I slacked off and didn't go out into the cold and adjust the headlights. :nabble_smiley_sad: But have to do that tonight, for sure.

Ok, got the headlights adjusted, so Big Blue is ready for the trip. But we moved it to Wednesday due to weather, so tomorrow I load up. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

"Getting the truck down on all fours is a major milestone in my book."

Yes it is, I had it on all fours then the old 3 steps back deal happened.

All just to have matching wheels front & back, well also so I don't need 2 different spares LOL.

Dave ----

"Getting the truck down on all fours is a major milestone in my book."

Yes it is, I had it on all fours then the old 3 steps back deal happened.

All just to have matching wheels front & back, well also so I don't need 2 different spares LOL.

Dave ----

I spent quite a bit of time unloading Big Blue this morning and, while I was doing that, I smelled gasoline. But I assumed it was from the two 5 gallon gas cans I'd taken with me on the trip, so didn't think too much about it. However, when I drove up to John's to unload the '60 Chevy from the trailer I smelled gas again.

So, when I got home I slid under. Turns out I have a leak from the area of the tank switching valve. May not have helped the gas mileage at all since it was dripping a drop every couple of seconds when stopped, and who knows how much when the pump is running and the system is under pressure. Here's what I saw:

Gas_Leak.thumb.jpg.9449e7b2d26a73690fcbcbccdfb50b8a.jpg

And, speaking of gas mileage, I don't yet know how bad it was since I couldn't get 91 octane at the station because their pump wasn't working. But, I did find an older gentleman with this truck. (That's right, he's older than I am. :nabble_smiley_wink:) Says he'll bring it to the show.

IMG_0049.thumb.jpg.b323d75aa836f17d1d5d279f77e4ecda.jpg

IMG_0050.thumb.jpg.bc2db868329b1ffea1497f7b4937b181.jpg

I spent quite a bit of time unloading Big Blue this morning and, while I was doing that, I smelled gasoline. But I assumed it was from the two 5 gallon gas cans I'd taken with me on the trip, so didn't think too much about it. However, when I drove up to John's to unload the '60 Chevy from the trailer I smelled gas again.

So, when I got home I slid under. Turns out I have a leak from the area of the tank switching valve. May not have helped the gas mileage at all since it was dripping a drop every couple of seconds when stopped, and who knows how much when the pump is running and the system is under pressure. Here's what I saw:

And, speaking of gas mileage, I don't yet know how bad it was since I couldn't get 91 octane at the station because their pump wasn't working. But, I did find an older gentleman with this truck. (That's right, he's older than I am. :nabble_smiley_wink:) Says he'll bring it to the show.

But, I did find an older gentleman with this truck. (That's right, he's older than I am. :nabble_smiley_wink:) Says he'll bring it to the show

1979? :nabble_anim_confused: Paint colors are similar to Big Blue!

But, I did find an older gentleman with this truck. (That's right, he's older than I am. :nabble_smiley_wink:) Says he'll bring it to the show

1979? :nabble_anim_confused: Paint colors are similar to Big Blue!

He thinks it is a '78, but you are right that it is a '79 since it has rectangular headlights. Scott's is a '78 with round headlights.

As for the paint, I think it is exactly the same, although his is in better shape.

He thinks it is a '78, but you are right that it is a '79 since it has rectangular headlights. Scott's is a '78 with round headlights.

As for the paint, I think it is exactly the same, although his is in better shape.

Big Blue's painted instrument needles show up quite well!

Gary, if his is the XLT Lariat, they got square headlights in 1978.