Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Hmmm, I'll bet Ron/reamer steps up to the plate on that bracket. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Well the truck got pulled apart today 1 to drill out the front header panel bolt holes and to see what I can do to fix 4 carriage bolts (2 each side) I cant get nuts on.

The plan was to use U-nuts for the front header panel to floor. Thing is the way the metal floor is made and the front cross member is I cant use the U-nuts.

Because of this and before I knew it when I drilled the holes I drilled them small and you the bolts in the picture above that will go thru the floor & cross member and should hold.

Moving on to the side panel bolts I was going to use the U-nuts for 1 of the 2 I cant get nuts on. Put the U-nut on go to fit the panel and it will not fit! The U-nut hangs out too far so no U-nut and I drilled out the hold too large to do like I did for the front panel :(

So I am looking into using a nutsert in the 5/16" size. I am not worried with a bolt head sticking up as it is in the front corner on each side.

Not the one at the rear on each side I don't want to have a bolt head sticking up as it can catch on things going in or out of the bed. I was able to use the cut off wheel to cut slots in the cross member and bend it down to get the nut/washer on then can bent it back up.

So till I can get the nutserts, could be hard the only place to get them local is closed weekends when I am off. So I am kind of stuck on putting the side panels back on.

Dave ----

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave, your project is really looking good. I'm enjoying the build progress.

The plate has been a challenge to get "right". Shortly after I purchased the truck, someone stole the factory plate holder with the illumination light that fit under the bumper on the body. i didn't realize what a gem of part it was until I tried to unsuccessfully source a replacement ( I did find one in rough shape in a yard that I posted pics of a while back, and it's free to anyone that might be able to fab a replica). For a while I used a couple pieces of flat stock to secure the plate in the same place. Then I tried this from an eBay find:

20171201_143844.jpg

E4TZ-13406-A

It was close: It fit the original light pod brackets and the 3-bolt light pod well, but the plate itself was a bit too wide to clear the exterior bed side with the mounting holes, so I drilled a couple more and mounted the plate slightly offset to the left. It's not optimal, but will work until I find another hen's tooth original bracket or another solution.

20180303_102128.jpg

20180303_102139.jpg

I've been told that ford ships trucks with another, longer light pod bracket that will fit our Flaresides, and that it will allow a plate bracket and license plate to fit and not extend past the flare of the fender. I've see a couple examples on eBay, but haven't had the beer money to try one with so many other things competing for attention. Here's one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222325091475?ul_noapp=true

Thanks for the plate reply Something else I will have to deal with when I get to it I guess.

Dave ----

Dave, your project is really looking good. I'm enjoying the build progress.

The plate has been a challenge to get "right". Shortly after I purchased the truck, someone stole the factory plate holder with the illumination light that fit under the bumper on the body. i didn't realize what a gem of part it was until I tried to unsuccessfully source a replacement ( I did find one in rough shape in a yard that I posted pics of a while back, and it's free to anyone that might be able to fab a replica). For a while I used a couple pieces of flat stock to secure the plate in the same place. Then I tried this from an eBay find:

20171201_143844.jpg

E4TZ-13406-A

It was close: It fit the original light pod brackets and the 3-bolt light pod well, but the plate itself was a bit too wide to clear the exterior bed side with the mounting holes, so I drilled a couple more and mounted the plate slightly offset to the left. It's not optimal, but will work until I find another hen's tooth original bracket or another solution.

20180303_102128.jpg

20180303_102139.jpg

I've been told that ford ships trucks with another, longer light pod bracket that will fit our Flaresides, and that it will allow a plate bracket and license plate to fit and not extend past the flare of the fender. I've see a couple examples on eBay, but haven't had the beer money to try one with so many other things competing for attention. Here's one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222325091475?ul_noapp=true

Thanks for the plate reply Something else I will have to deal with when I get to it I guess.

Dave ----

My flareside was also missing the license bracket. I used one from a bullnose styleside bed. The mounting holes are the same distance apart as the flareside part, and it only took a slight amount of trimming to make it fit around the bumper bracket. The only thing that I'm not sure of is how weather proof it is, as the old style glass lens license lights were usually mounted under the box or under a bumper.

If you look under the left corner of the styleside box on many 1980-1992ish F-Series, you'll find a license bracket and lamp, because back then a rear bumper was an option.

One of these days, I'll remember to take a picture of mine and post it.

My flareside was also missing the license bracket. I used one from a bullnose styleside bed. The mounting holes are the same distance apart as the flareside part, and it only took a slight amount of trimming to make it fit around the bumper bracket. The only thing that I'm not sure of is how weather proof it is, as the old style glass lens license lights were usually mounted under the box or under a bumper.

If you look under the left corner of the styleside box on many 1980-1992ish F-Series, you'll find a license bracket and lamp, because back then a rear bumper was an option.

Gary - If you have to run EGR, that elbow is still available from Ford. Sitting down?? It now retails for $184.50 - I thought it was bad when they were $100!

Catalog says 19.0mm inverted flare x 3/4" pipe if you want to plug the hole of any other manifolds.

Also, I don't know at what temperature the manifolds will glow, but at the dealerships we used to see 460s come in with exhaust leaks, and the cause was that they had gotten so hot that the flared end of the down pipe had gotten hot enough to flow and deform. That's gotta take some real heat!

When you can I would like to see a picture.

I can tell you there was no such plate holder or light on my 81 style side parts truck or I would have found a way to make it work.

Heck I made the style side metal floor work in place of the flare side wood floor the holder & light would be easy!

Still waiting to see what all my brother found in the JY and is sending me beside the tail gate.

Dave ----

Gary - If you have to run EGR, that elbow is still available from Ford. Sitting down?? It now retails for $184.50 - I thought it was bad when they were $100!

Catalog says 19.0mm inverted flare x 3/4" pipe if you want to plug the hole of any other manifolds.

Also, I don't know at what temperature the manifolds will glow, but at the dealerships we used to see 460s come in with exhaust leaks, and the cause was that they had gotten so hot that the flared end of the down pipe had gotten hot enough to flow and deform. That's gotta take some real heat!

Considering (a) the dual smoke grinders on the 1985-87 460s and (b) the penchant for the Holley carb to run rich or leak internally, you have a recipe for extreme heat from afterburning.

Considering (a) the dual smoke grinders on the 1985-87 460s and (b) the penchant for the Holley carb to run rich or leak internally, you have a recipe for extreme heat from afterburning.

Perhaps that’s why we they needed dual smoke grinders? :nabble_smiley_cool:

Perhaps that’s why we they needed dual smoke grinders? :nabble_smiley_cool:

Any engine where they're pumping air into the exhaust manifolds to burn off CO and raw fuel before it makes it out the tail pipe has to be hot.

It is no wonder 460's are known for cracking manifolds due to expansion.

Wow! That's hot!

Luckily I don't have to run EGR. However, as I think about it, I wonder where these vehicles might wind up - meaning in what state. Some of those would require EGR, so perhaps I was remiss in cutting that tube. Especially since I'm toying with going with shorty headers - assuming someone makes them for the EFI heads.

Wow! That's hot!

Luckily I don't have to run EGR. However, as I think about it, I wonder where these vehicles might wind up - meaning in what state. Some of those would require EGR, so perhaps I was remiss in cutting that tube. Especially since I'm toying with going with shorty headers - assuming someone makes them for the EFI heads.

I believe they do make shorty headers for the EFI heads. The EGR tube itself is available from Dorman, I have a nice new one here for the new engine. As to requirements, the further North you go generally the stricter it gets, here I just have a visual, Northern VA has a sniff test.