Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It makes a lot of sense

The gasket can hang on the studs.

The opposite flange can hang on the studs.

One wrench tightening the nuts from one side.

Compared to trying to get the bolts in the holes.

Keeping them there while the gasket and opposite flange are lined up.

Using two wrenches to tighten both bolts (while they're flopping around, still loose)

On a moving assembly line....

That said, I have to go down to Philly and do just what Bill did for my niece.

Her Cat flange is loose and the studs are fubared.

I agree that it makes a lot of sense if you want to throw things together easily. But it makes no sense if you want to be able to maintain them.

I agree that it makes a lot of sense if you want to throw things together easily. But it makes no sense if you want to be able to maintain them.

Since when did Detroit, or any manufacturer care about serviceability? Some examples, 1959 Desoto, the upper control arm pivot bolts on the left side required removal of the power steering gear to get the rear bolt out. Shop manual says "direction optional", guess which way it went back. 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3L V6, alternator lower bolt, in order to remove it a long brace attached to one of the exhaust manifold bolts has to be removed so it will slide out. It will clear the strut tower, so guess how it went back in. Pinto 2.0L, to remove the starter, the right motor mount has to be unbolted so the starter will clear the frame. GM, don't get me started on them! The Chevette takes the cake, with A/C the compressor has to be removed, swung aside then the bracket removed so the distributor cap can come off, if it has power steering, that isn't possible. For a low buck entry level car to take 2 hours to do a 4 cyl tune up is asinine!

Since when did Detroit, or any manufacturer care about serviceability? Some examples, 1959 Desoto, the upper control arm pivot bolts on the left side required removal of the power steering gear to get the rear bolt out. Shop manual says "direction optional", guess which way it went back. 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3L V6, alternator lower bolt, in order to remove it a long brace attached to one of the exhaust manifold bolts has to be removed so it will slide out. It will clear the strut tower, so guess how it went back in. Pinto 2.0L, to remove the starter, the right motor mount has to be unbolted so the starter will clear the frame. GM, don't get me started on them! The Chevette takes the cake, with A/C the compressor has to be removed, swung aside then the bracket removed so the distributor cap can come off, if it has power steering, that isn't possible. For a low buck entry level car to take 2 hours to do a 4 cyl tune up is asinine!

I'm not saying they ever cared. Another case in point: A family friend had a 70's Pontiac. After 20,000 miles it started running poorly and the dealership couldn't figure it out. So he brought it to Dad, who promptly did a full tune-up and discovered 7 new plugs and 1 original. The A/C compressor had to come off to get to that one, so they never bothered.

I'm not saying they ever cared. Another case in point: A family friend had a 70's Pontiac. After 20,000 miles it started running poorly and the dealership couldn't figure it out. So he brought it to Dad, who promptly did a full tune-up and discovered 7 new plugs and 1 original. The A/C compressor had to come off to get to that one, so they never bothered.

I wish I had a nickel for every big block MOPAR I got in my shop missing on #7, plug would be an original complete with paint, and usually it would need wires and frequently hotter than a damn firecracker. Burned hands anyone? No excuse for plugs under exhaust manifolds in a tight engine compartment!

I wish I had a nickel for every big block MOPAR I got in my shop missing on #7, plug would be an original complete with paint, and usually it would need wires and frequently hotter than a damn firecracker. Burned hands anyone? No excuse for plugs under exhaust manifolds in a tight engine compartment!

You warned me about that recently, but don't forget I had a new '69 Bee with a 383 for many years, so "enjoyed" that pain frequently. However, I had an advantage in that I wasn't on the clock, so soon learned to let it cool before starting work.

You warned me about that recently, but don't forget I had a new '69 Bee with a 383 for many years, so "enjoyed" that pain frequently. However, I had an advantage in that I wasn't on the clock, so soon learned to let it cool before starting work.

Got all the flare side bed bolts I have together and have them soaking in Evap-O-Rust.

Once I see what I have and figure what I need I will order the needed hardware.

Because of the state of emergency here in NC. work hours have been crazy and its been way to cold to do any work on the truck if I had the time.

Dave ----

Got all the flare side bed bolts I have together and have them soaking in Evap-O-Rust.

Once I see what I have and figure what I need I will order the needed hardware.

Because of the state of emergency here in NC. work hours have been crazy and its been way to cold to do any work on the truck if I had the time.

Dave ----

Installed a new cargo light on the back of the cab and faffed with the tailgate handle.. it is really wonky and I can’t get it straight, very annoying..

Installed a new cargo light on the back of the cab and faffed with the tailgate handle.. it is really wonky and I can’t get it straight, very annoying..

Got several things done today:

• Installed the middle seatbelt buckle off Huck on Big Blue, which didn't have one.

• Helped a friend load up a bunch of parts off Huck so I have a bit more room in the shop

• Checked out how to put a filter on the HVAC system - to no avail

• Put away a bunch of tools

I replaced the weather stripping in the door, and anti-rattle trim in the window channel surround on the driver's side.

'Not too hard, but wasn't as quick as I thought it would be. Passenger side will be quicker next weekend. Like many things, it takes me at least one time to figure out the correct order of things and process to make thing easier for the next round.

It's raining pretty hard tonight. It will be nice to have the driver's side tight and dry when I take the girls to school in the morning.