Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Thank you...and indeed she did. I suppose technically I am now free of my obligation to keep and maintain the truck, but as you point out, the truck is worth a lot to me. So I'll be sticking to my plan to keep it running into the 2050s before giving it to Dominic if he wants it.

And have no fear...I already had every intention of coming to the next show if possible (and the Labor Day + 2 weeks date works GREAT for me), this just moves it up to a guarantee, barring disaster.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

On the ties I hope it will be a flower garden and not a food garden.

The reason is what the ties are treated with can leach into the soil and into the food and that would not be good.

Just a FYI

Dave ----

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another case of not so much doing something TO my truck, but WITH it.In this case, I made it work:

This past weekend was the work weekend for my son's Eagle Scout project, which was to build raised garden beds and a gravel footpath for our church. He didn't want one of those projects that looks good to begin with but starts to degrade right away, such that five years later it becomes an eyesore. So he built it out of railroad ties, which weigh about 200 pounds each. That's 1500+ pounds of wood in that photo, which is the most I've ever had in the truck. I'm happy to say the truck barely noticed the weight and drove and handled just like it always has.

In less happy news, my grandmother (the patron saint of my truck) passed away last week at the age of 97. She'd been in declining health for the last couple of years, but recently she took a bad fall and broke her hip. Her initial prognosis was pretty good, but that's still tough to come back from at that age. Per her wishes she was cremated, and I've been tasked by my mother with bringing a portion of her ashes back to Oklahoma, to be with my grandfather.

So Gary, that makes me a confirmed attendee for the '23 show. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I've hauled RxR ties in my Ranger before (only 3 of them)... yep, 200lbs sounds right. But being creosoted wood, they last practically forever... my buddy redid his back landscaping with them and I had the fun task of hauling them from the lumber yard in a raging downpour (as his two Saturn's obviously weren't up to the task). Gotta love "friend with a truck" favors... :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:---Probably not as impressive, but here's what I did with my truck (and to my trailer) this weekend:First, my trailer tires were pushing 15 years old and needed replacement. Coincientally, my old ranger/american racing alloy rims (15x7, 4.5" pattern) happen to fit, so I had some new trailer tires thrown on those:IMG_20221203_101832.jpg.3311640524c5030be4f803f185914f25.jpgIMG_20221203_101846.jpg.835b7453bb22ed19607f415ff1d1ccc6.jpg(yeah, the deck they've been sitting on since the 2021 show turned them green :nabble_smiley_oh_no:)Why did I do that? Well, my outdoor garage-in-a-box self destructed awhile back and due to not being the original buyer of the cover, the 10 year warrranty on such is void (and I'm not spending $800-$1000 for a another cover that'll only last a year and a half :nabble_poo-23_orig:). While I thought I could cheat and use a $30 tarp to get by, one good storm ripped that too. So, I needed something to store my lawn tractor (and other outdoor equipment in) quick and "cheap", so I thought it'd be a good idea to buy a used shed!Here's a look at the rig at lunch before I tried to move said shed:IMG_20221203_115631.jpg.f86c6d1582c8a5cd02fba0e990658e70.jpgLittle did I know what a bleeping distaster I was about to get into. Sure, $450 for a used 8x10' metal shed with a solid 3/4" treated plywood floor sounds great, until one discovers that they have the resilience of pop cans (from the same parent company as the other failed structure, go figure :nabble_smiley_argh:) and that trying to move one intact (no disassembly) an hour down the road is just not a good idea at all!Moving the thing from the guy's lot was bad enough- had to use the truck to pull it onto the trailer using the ramps on the backer board (as my rails are only 6' 10" apart) and in the process pulled one of the walls when it hung up on the end of the ramp (also, popped the trailer off the jacking block. I made it less than a mile until the roof began to cave, and I had my ratchet straps come loose. Redid it, only for it to fail again another mile away, only with nowhere to pull aside... until it bounced off the rail and settled like this:IMG_20221203_165149.jpg.b4caf8c1689cc879bf7b53871617231f.jpgAt this point the roof was a smashed up mess as were several wall and door sections. But, it was stable at least, and I was able to limp home at 45mph without too many more issues. Getting it off the trailer was bad as well. First, I had to disconnect from the trailer the night before, and reconnecting didn't go well. Slipped on the gas, and put a nice big dent/scrape into my license plate due to ramming the trailer tongue (made a nice thud too!). After that, about 1/3 way off the trailer the side still on the rail punched through (floor popped free from the wall, and the shed came crashing down), which smashed and mangled the trailer licence plate pretty bad (I was able to straighten it at least... sorta). With some more prying and tugging eventually I had it off enough I was able to pull the trailer from underneath and then shove/muscle it into position. Of course, I botched the alignment but didn't notice until after I stomped the shed into the ground... :nabble_sarcastic-23_orig:. IMG_20221204_163100.jpg.a61eba28f67393d6219df1ac80aa7637.jpg(yes, that is a modded lawn tractor with bullnose rims and bullnose tires... someone else's modded 46" simplicity I got for peanuts last year and completely rewired... did I make a thread on that here?)But, it's in place and I'm able to get a lot of the stuff in the other structure's remains moved; the rest is either junk (old tires, trailer/donut spare rims with shredded tires, and a busted ranger driver's seat base), stuff I need rehome (useless or blown up push mowers, including two grenaded 2-stroke lawn boys), or stuff that isn't that weather sensitive (junk harbor freight engine stand base/frame, etc.). Someday I'd like to have a shop/garage/pole barn back there... but that's many, many years off and low on the list of property upgrades needing done.

I've hauled RxR ties in my Ranger before (only 3 of them)... yep, 200lbs sounds right. But being creosoted wood, they last practically forever... my buddy redid his back landscaping with them and I had the fun task of hauling them from the lumber yard in a raging downpour (as his two Saturn's obviously weren't up to the task). Gotta love "friend with a truck" favors... :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

---

Probably not as impressive, but here's what I did with my truck (and to my trailer) this weekend:

First, my trailer tires were pushing 15 years old and needed replacement. Coincientally, my old ranger/american racing alloy rims (15x7, 4.5" pattern) happen to fit, so I had some new trailer tires thrown on those:

(yeah, the deck they've been sitting on since the 2021 show turned them green :nabble_smiley_oh_no:)

Why did I do that? Well, my outdoor garage-in-a-box self destructed awhile back and due to not being the original buyer of the cover, the 10 year warrranty on such is void (and I'm not spending $800-$1000 for a another cover that'll only last a year and a half :nabble_poo-23_orig:). While I thought I could cheat and use a $30 tarp to get by, one good storm ripped that too. So, I needed something to store my lawn tractor (and other outdoor equipment in) quick and "cheap", so I thought it'd be a good idea to buy a used shed!

Here's a look at the rig at lunch before I tried to move said shed:

Little did I know what a bleeping distaster I was about to get into.

Sure, $450 for a used 8x10' metal shed with a solid 3/4" treated plywood floor sounds great, until one discovers that they have the resilience of pop cans (from the same parent company as the other failed structure, go figure :nabble_smiley_argh:) and that trying to move one intact (no disassembly) an hour down the road is just not a good idea at all!

Moving the thing from the guy's lot was bad enough- had to use the truck to pull it onto the trailer using the ramps on the backer board (as my rails are only 6' 10" apart) and in the process pulled one of the walls when it hung up on the end of the ramp (also, popped the trailer off the jacking block. I made it less than a mile until the roof began to cave, and I had my ratchet straps come loose. Redid it, only for it to fail again another mile away, only with nowhere to pull aside... until it bounced off the rail and settled like this:

At this point the roof was a smashed up mess as were several wall and door sections. But, it was stable at least, and I was able to limp home at 45mph without too many more issues.

Getting it off the trailer was bad as well. First, I had to disconnect from the trailer the night before, and reconnecting didn't go well. Slipped on the gas, and put a nice big dent/scrape into my license plate due to ramming the trailer tongue (made a nice thud too!). After that, about 1/3 way off the trailer the side still on the rail punched through (floor popped free from the wall, and the shed came crashing down), which smashed and mangled the trailer licence plate pretty bad (I was able to straighten it at least... sorta). With some more prying and tugging eventually I had it off enough I was able to pull the trailer from underneath and then shove/muscle it into position. Of course, I botched the alignment but didn't notice until after I stomped the shed into the ground... :nabble_sarcastic-23_orig:.

(yes, that is a modded lawn tractor with bullnose rims and bullnose tires... someone else's modded 46" simplicity I got for peanuts last year and completely rewired... did I make a thread on that here?)

But, it's in place and I'm able to get a lot of the stuff in the other structure's remains moved; the rest is either junk (old tires, trailer/donut spare rims with shredded tires, and a busted ranger driver's seat base), stuff I need rehome (useless or blown up push mowers, including two grenaded 2-stroke lawn boys), or stuff that isn't that weather sensitive (junk harbor freight engine stand base/frame, etc.). Someday I'd like to have a shop/garage/pole barn back there... but that's many, many years off and low on the list of property upgrades needing done.

Wow, Larry! That sounds like quite the adventure - gone wrong. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But at least you got it home and can use it. Congrat's for that, in spite of the problems along the way. :nabble_smiley_good:

And the truck just keeps on trucking...

Wow, Larry! That sounds like quite the adventure - gone wrong. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But at least you got it home and can use it. Congrat's for that, in spite of the problems along the way. :nabble_smiley_good:

And the truck just keeps on trucking...

Yep. Could definitely feel the trailer... but I knew that. More trailer than truck!

Does the trailer have brakes? That’s the biggest problem with a trailer. The 300/auto combo is rated to haul plenty, but you have to be able to stop it.

The rear axle has brakes... and I have a Primus IQ brake controller.

I did the math in another thread... 7000lb trailer, but only (best case) about 5200lb towing capacity. Which with 1700lbs dead weight, makes most modern vehicles a bit too heavy for the truck. The 3.08 rear end is a limiting factor... A steeper rear end would be a different story (but also kill my unloaded fuel economy).

Also, my truck didn't come with the towing package... but since I added the brake controller and already have the higher capacity radiator, not sure what difference that would make.

The rear axle has brakes... and I have a Primus IQ brake controller.

I did the math in another thread... 7000lb trailer, but only (best case) about 5200lb towing capacity. Which with 1700lbs dead weight, makes most modern vehicles a bit too heavy for the truck. The 3.08 rear end is a limiting factor... A steeper rear end would be a different story (but also kill my unloaded fuel economy).

Also, my truck didn't come with the towing package... but since I added the brake controller and already have the higher capacity radiator, not sure what difference that would make.

Good to hear you got the shed home and not left all over the road LOL

Up north I had one of them metal sheds that I put together even on a wood platform and it served me well.

When I moved the new owners did not want it so I had to knock it down and haul it way.

When we got this place and I had "MY GARAGE" there was no yard equipment going in it!

So we bought a prebuilt wood shed. Because of the size we had to get a permit and now wish I went bigger.

It was well worth it. I did have it wired for power, light inside & out and an outlet for charger or ??

Shed_001.jpg.5931c3f3e146037e90710be8dc21c7b5.jpg

Shed_003.jpg.aef41f8e6a97c88c6b50dbee6e7f31ac.jpg

Shelves from my garage I was not going to use going into the shed

Tractor_001.jpg.c47645e36864eb547130fbf64d67c3e4.jpg

I dont know if they have prebuilt sheds by you but you may want to look into them when the time comes needing a new shed.

Dave ----

Up north I had one of them metal sheds that I put together even on a wood platform and it served me well.

When I moved the new owners did not want it so I had to knock it down and haul it way.

When we got this place and I had "MY GARAGE" there was no yard equipment going in it!

So we bought a prebuilt wood shed. Because of the size we had to get a permit and now wish I went bigger.

It was well worth it. I did have it wired for power, light inside & out and an outlet for charger or ??

I dont know if they have prebuilt sheds by you but you may want to look into them when the time comes needing a new shed.

Dave ----

isn't it funny how we never have enough room. since moving to nc a few months ago, I have filled my garage to the point of only having a path between the trucks and the lawn equipment is all outside under the deck (and a tarp if i remember). at least one more building in the plan for a paint / body work area but that will be spring at least. still need that garden shed.

isn't it funny how we never have enough room. since moving to nc a few months ago, I have filled my garage to the point of only having a path between the trucks and the lawn equipment is all outside under the deck (and a tarp if i remember). at least one more building in the plan for a paint / body work area but that will be spring at least. still need that garden shed.

Preaching to the choir!

I have an RV garage with a small shop space behind and I just get by.

The plan is for a shed for the ATV/Mowers and then a shop for the trucks/boat.

Saving money for it now as it looks like a $50k min project.

When did stuff get so expensive?

Dave ----

Lots of placed make those around here. The guy I bought the shed from had a 10x12 on order...

But they are expensive... a few thousand at least, to the point where many of them are a buy here pay here sort of thing ($120 a month for 60 months, etc.). Heck, 10K will get one a decent sized garage (no utilities, but I could tackle that later)... so blowing 3K I don't really want to spend on a large-ish shed doesn't really make sense if the former is the end goal.