Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Today I installed a 1992-1996 cupholder on my 1997 (F350) bench seat. I was hesitant because I didn't know whether it would work well with a 4 speed and the older style T-case shifter, and I didn't know if my seat frame had the holes or dimples for the studs that hold the cupholder.

After doing some research, I found a few mentions of guys running them in their manual/manual bullnose trucks, so figured that would not be an issue. It's worth noting that there are two versions of console, the manual version (1 cupholder) and the automatic version (two cupholders). The automatic version will NOT work with any manual, as it is too large.

The other issue was whether my seat frame had the holes pre-drilled or even just dimples. I couldn't find pictures of the 1992-1997 bench seat frame, or any concrete confirmation of what is under the seat cover. I did find mention that there were dimples on all of the seat frames of this era, so figured I would pull the seat cover up at the front and check. What I found was not dimples, or even holes for the screws. I found two sets of square and round holes, like what you would utilize for "U" style extruded speed nuts. It became obvious that Ford used speed nuts for the retaining studs, and I just happened to have spare speed nuts to fit the studs. I installed the speed nuts, re-installed the seat cover, and then marked the holes for the studs. I then simply screwed the studs through the fabric and into the speed nuts, and then installed the cupholder onto the studs.

Yes, that looks great!

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is great. Where did you find the cup holder?

Thanks guys! I picked it up off Ebay. It was the right color, and it was less than $50 shipped so I grabbed it.

I definitely think this is something that could be done to all bullnose trucks, as some of the bullnose guys that were running these had them on the factory bullnose bench. I assume they probably just drilled the holes for the studs and then screwed them in.

Today I installed a 1992-1996 cupholder on my 1997 (F350) bench seat. I was hesitant because I didn't know whether it would work well with a 4 speed and the older style T-case shifter, and I didn't know if my seat frame had the holes or dimples for the studs that hold the cupholder.

After doing some research, I found a few mentions of guys running them in their manual/manual bullnose trucks, so figured that would not be an issue. It's worth noting that there are two versions of console, the manual version (1 cupholder) and the automatic version (two cupholders). The automatic version will NOT work with any manual, as it is too large.

The other issue was whether my seat frame had the holes pre-drilled or even just dimples. I couldn't find pictures of the 1992-1997 bench seat frame, or any concrete confirmation of what is under the seat cover. I did find mention that there were dimples on all of the seat frames of this era, so figured I would pull the seat cover up at the front and check. What I found was not dimples, or even holes for the screws. I found two sets of square and round holes, like what you would utilize for "U" style extruded speed nuts. It became obvious that Ford used speed nuts for the retaining studs, and I just happened to have spare speed nuts to fit the studs. I installed the speed nuts, re-installed the seat cover, and then marked the holes for the studs. I then simply screwed the studs through the fabric and into the speed nuts, and then installed the cupholder onto the studs.

Looks great Shaun!

Does it limit the distance the seat can slide to the front (for "shot legs" drivers)?

Looks great Shaun!

Does it limit the distance the seat can slide to the front (for "shot legs" drivers)?

It would probably run into the t-case boot at some point on 4x4 trucks, but it depends on how far you move it. Hard for me to tell without the shift levers in the truck. But on an automatic 4x2 truck, it wouldn't make any difference. The bigger two cupholder version might though.

I did my own cup-holding-related work today! I got a good deal on two Tuffy cup holder attachments and decided to try to stick them into the ol' bronco. I built a plate between them and put some legs on the bottom with feet at the correct angles. Drilled holes in the shifter plate on the floor and used nutserts. I made sure it's in just the right spot that the ash tray will open, and the seat will travel all the way forward. We'll be traveling a few hundred miles today, and it'll be our first chance to use it. I hope it works, because I now have 3 holes in my carpet and my floor!

LqgAZEy.thumb.jpg.578f32300075be4739207048e68c4e89.jpg

0YmZYqz.thumb.jpg.ca9266429ed50336914c6d5a306309a3.jpg

I did my own cup-holding-related work today! I got a good deal on two Tuffy cup holder attachments and decided to try to stick them into the ol' bronco. I built a plate between them and put some legs on the bottom with feet at the correct angles. Drilled holes in the shifter plate on the floor and used nutserts. I made sure it's in just the right spot that the ash tray will open, and the seat will travel all the way forward. We'll be traveling a few hundred miles today, and it'll be our first chance to use it. I hope it works, because I now have 3 holes in my carpet and my floor!

I've never seen those before. I definitely like seeing the different ideas people come up with to make these old trucks a little more comfortable.

I've never seen those before. I definitely like seeing the different ideas people come up with to make these old trucks a little more comfortable.

With the manual & over drive sticks coming up thru the floor and being the trans stick is 8" back farther I dont think I can put the "front of seat holder" in place.

That is why all my drinks have to be bottles so it can be placed on the seat.

Then I just worry it dont roll off in a turn :nabble_smiley_angry:

Done yesterday

I have been getting a little more pinging than I would like to hear so I took a hammer and gave the dist. a few love taps. When I get the time I will put a light to it but I was at 14* BTDC so going beck some could not hurt.

Heading to the 2nd show of the day and back home it seamed to do the trick but want to do a little more testing. I also want to see what it does to the AFR before I lean out the carb some as I feel it is still to rich.

I said 2nd show earlier had a pancake breakfast for the American Legion next town over that the car club went to and after went a few doors down to O'Reilly's auto part for a cruise in.

They are a sponsor for the clubs Oct 1st show and wanted to show them what we have.

Another club also showed up by FB invite with some of their cars. Had maybe 15 cars.

Dave ----

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n124659/DSCN2552.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n124659/DSCN2553.jpg

I rather like this! Nice job.