Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Once I removed the wiper arms, cowl grille and the two lower pieces that form the bottom of the air inlet. I remove the upper plenum and shock tower cross brace everything is easily visible. The hardest part was getting the hoses off the nipples. I wanted to save them in case the part wasn't available.

BTW, I Googled the Motorcraft KT-55 number and found it on eBay, Amazon and Rock Auto. Amazon and Rock were a little less than 1/2 the dealership cost.

Sounds like a really fun job. Hope you got it done.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a really fun job. Hope you got it done.

If it happened on a car how old / miles?

Do you want to put the same weak parts on to only have it happen later?

I think I would try and come up with something better but thats just me.

Dave ----

Dave ----

2009 model, apparently early 2009 as the battery tray and hold down changed mid year, 276K on it and from what I found working on it probably has had the water pump and timing chain done. I saved all the hoses from the original and they are in near perfect condition. I am going to see If I can get a couple of brass 3/4" tees and some extra clamps to make one without the plastic tees.

Replacing it was a royal PITA as the two connections for the rear HVAC unit are probably best accessed on a lift. Ford uses spring clamps that latch in a released condition and you put a proper sized screw driver in them to "pop" them so they clamp down. The two bottom ones had the latched part pointing down.

Here are some pictures:

Where the assembly goes, the metal tubes are all visible, engine and front heater core are 3/4", rear unit pies are 5/8":

DSCN4686.thumb.jpg.c275a7130ff3cbd694f805ea1c7e6875.jpg

Installed and clamped:

DSCN4687.thumb.jpg.334ad1f8d8bdf82526dcf2c75e4052be.jpg

Upper plenum back on and connected:

DSCN4688.thumb.jpg.f56f516922c3422b96702a92ae49f212.jpg

Closeup with upper plenum on, but shock tower brace and cowl inlet parts not on:

DSCN4691.thumb.jpg.8ee99ca7022fe24c63e9d0dc9288ffb8.jpg

Under hood view with everything reassembled:

DSCN4692.thumb.jpg.6cba5c09c300e0b64d43d3b17d136f67.jpg

Same view but back further for a better overall view:

DSCN4693.thumb.jpg.e6b93bb28d6ca5ef15c6617a419146b6.jpg

Dave ----

I've been working on my AC which has turned into another, "while I'm here" might as well blah, blah, blah! I pulled my condenser coil to flush it noting that the trans cooler I put on the truck all those years ago had some corrosion. Thought I should replace that along with the no longer functioning B&M Trans cooler gauge. And, not knowing when I last changed the trans fluid, thought I should change that too along with the fluid in the transfer case.

The trans fluid change did not go well. It was late, I was tired and it was hot....I know better to mess with things when I'm tired. But, I wanted to accomplish something on the truck that evening. What I accomplished was nothing more than a huge mess which prompted me to crawl out from under, wash my hands, turn out the lights and order some things such that I would never make this kind of mess again....i.e. new trans pan with plug!!! The good thing was that the trans fluid was ruby red clean.

The pan is from Summit, by Summit and about $50 cheaper than the other pans in its category. It is heavy, appears to be high quality, and made in the US.....supposedly. I think it may be a Trick Flow without their name on it. It came with a new pick up tube for the added depth, filter, gaskets, and all the bolts. I did not use the supplied gaskets as I prefer others. Looks like a nice pan.

Trans_Mess.thumb.jpg.b61eb9162608f71c61c908fd13ce945a.jpg

Transmission_Work_1.thumb.jpg.417755a6f5d23191a758f22d4856a5dc.jpg

Transmission_Work_2.thumb.jpg.230f3b5afb01b82d5bc801be9353411f.jpg

Trans_Pan.jpg.678a33fbf8ebd30b849d094cf2366787.jpg

Thanks, Bill. Do you think it was the heat that caused the tees to break or might they be in a bind?

Threw the idea of building up my white 87 since the body was rougher than I wanted so I saved it for parts and bought this 91. It's a driver but needs a heck of a lot of TLC, and thankfully is pretty unmolested until I ahold of it lmao.

IMG_20210724_171532_393.thumb.jpg.07fc135d18efb378b4c49dba6029d567.jpg20210724_163643.jpg.78725f343099a680bed9243a3171cb1b.jpg

I threw some parts I had laying around on it and put my roll bar back in from my 95. Need to get the rest of my parts off the 87 including the gate and rear bumper, then the 35s and lift kit can go on...I think white wagon wheels and white letter tires will really set her off. I wanted to do something with my 87 but this truck already had a lot more going for it than that one did. 300/E4OD, 3.55 traction lock rear end, red, vent visors etc. Wanted a 351 but can't have it all for $900!

Also if anyone has any red bullnose door panels or metal door handles for sale I would be interested.

20210329_175803.jpg.e3965edaf25e3f0055fcafcd16ea93a5.jpg

Threw the idea of building up my white 87 since the body was rougher than I wanted so I saved it for parts and bought this 91. It's a driver but needs a heck of a lot of TLC, and thankfully is pretty unmolested until I ahold of it lmao.

I threw some parts I had laying around on it and put my roll bar back in from my 95. Need to get the rest of my parts off the 87 including the gate and rear bumper, then the 35s and lift kit can go on...I think white wagon wheels and white letter tires will really set her off. I wanted to do something with my 87 but this truck already had a lot more going for it than that one did. 300/E4OD, 3.55 traction lock rear end, red, vent visors etc. Wanted a 351 but can't have it all for $900!

Also if anyone has any red bullnose door panels or metal door handles for sale I would be interested.

Bill - That does look like a major pain. And apparently one that many people are going to experience. I talked to my engineer/mechanic nephew about this yesterday and he said he is seeing a lot of it. Apparently the plastic is getting old enough to come apart easily, so it is a question of when not if.

John - You've come to the same conclusion I have - no way I'm going to put a tranny pan back on w/o a drain in it. I do NOT like the messes I've made. And that Summit plan looks great. Good plan, Stan.

Angelo - That's a great drivetrain. I think you've made a good choice. I'm anxious to see how it comes together.

Bill - That does look like a major pain. And apparently one that many people are going to experience. I talked to my engineer/mechanic nephew about this yesterday and he said he is seeing a lot of it. Apparently the plastic is getting old enough to come apart easily, so it is a question of when not if.

John - You've come to the same conclusion I have - no way I'm going to put a tranny pan back on w/o a drain in it. I do NOT like the messes I've made. And that Summit plan looks great. Good plan, Stan.

Angelo - That's a great drivetrain. I think you've made a good choice. I'm anxious to see how it comes together.

We will see Gary. Had a lot of little things busted, HVAC needed some attention but I got thst working. Everything absolutely pukes...except the steering box. Figure that one out! I'm hoping the trans is low on fluid since it leaks...I got the ABS stuff fixed and that helped but it's still slamming and occasionally slipping out of gear...typical E4OD stuff. I'm pretty sure it's just low on fluid since I put a half quart in it felt better.

We will see Gary. Had a lot of little things busted, HVAC needed some attention but I got thst working. Everything absolutely pukes...except the steering box. Figure that one out! I'm hoping the trans is low on fluid since it leaks...I got the ABS stuff fixed and that helped but it's still slamming and occasionally slipping out of gear...typical E4OD stuff. I'm pretty sure it's just low on fluid since I put a half quart in it felt better.

A little off subject but...how do you tell/know what size fuel tank and pickup/sender is on your truck? 1983 lwb, 4.9,AOD, I think it's a 19 gal. everybody lists more than one unit for this model. The tank is clean, and new, I removed it when I was in the process of getting the truck on the road, turned out a plugged line, sender responded to ohm meter, didn't replace it, thinking about replacing it.

Thanks, Bill

A little off subject but...how do you tell/know what size fuel tank and pickup/sender is on your truck? 1983 lwb, 4.9,AOD, I think it's a 19 gal. everybody lists more than one unit for this model. The tank is clean, and new, I removed it when I was in the process of getting the truck on the road, turned out a plugged line, sender responded to ohm meter, didn't replace it, thinking about replacing it.

Thanks, Bill

You can see what the Master Parts Catalog thinks should be in your truck here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/fuel-tanks.html