Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Today my truck turned 41 years old.To celebrate, we took a ride to some of his favorite places:

And maybe some of mine...

We wrapped up with an oil change...

And a good time was had by all.

Happy birthday to grandpa's truck Matthew!Looks like it is enjoying being out this first day of spring.Rusty, I posted some lumens specs in the LED bulb thread.You can likely double the output of your existing interior lamp (but I don't know exactly which you are using right now)For me, it was the first sunny day in the 50's this week.And after I went to my pals new shop to weld up some lumber racks for him I decided to tackle my leaking windshield and failed defroster.Ignoring what I had said, I dug into the dash far enough to try and confirm my suspicions.Surprisingly, I could tell the flap was connected and moving! :nabble_anim_jump:Calling around I could only get an '88-'96 blower, but since the plug on mine had disintegrated a while back I figured I had nothing to lose.I had to extend my harness, but maybe I went a little too far. At least I used 10 Ga. Ford wire....IMG_20210320_160511.thumb.jpg.711b85ee97314c11e9584e689a0d72aa.jpgNew blower spins faster and I have good floor and defrost breeze now. I'd had the glass changed last year to solve the leak, and the installer said it was good???I pulled off the trim above the windshield and cut out a bunch of urethane.As a suspected it was crunchy with rust behind there.Not happy about the prospect of being without a window, after scrubbing, rinsing with alcohol and blowing it out with air I mixed up some G-Flex and used a flux brush to seal it up.I'll leave the trim off and test with a direct blast from a hose tomorrow.So two annoying little things checked. :nabble_smiley_good:

Machspeed, What did you get the light out of? Looking for more inside light in my bull.

Bill, got the light out of a 87 F150. The truck was trashed but surprisingly the light was good, at least the Chrome part. I also have a clear lens for it and LED Bulbs so it should make for some nice light.

Matthew, looks like you and your little buddy had a good day today!

Worked on several other things today one of which was reflective black "FORD" decals for my tailgate. I had thought to go red as I have a red pinstripe running down both sides of the truck, but I really liked the all black tailgate. When it gets dark, gonna take a flash light outside and see what it looks like...lol!

Tailgate_Letters.thumb.jpg.345fa413cacaf76c50d5e39ff5ebacd5.jpg

Machspeed, What did you get the light out of? Looking for more inside light in my bull.
Bill, got the light out of a 87 F150. The truck was trashed but surprisingly the light was good, at least the Chrome part. I also have a clear lens for it and LED Bulbs so it should make for some nice light. Matthew, looks like you and your little buddy had a good day today! Worked on several other things today one of which was reflective black "FORD" decals for my tailgate. I had thought to go red as I have a red pinstripe running down both sides of the truck, but I really liked the all black tailgate. When it gets dark, gonna take a flash light outside and see what it looks like...lol!
Finally pulled the brake drums and the wheel bearings are ok which is good. Though still wasn‘t able to identify the root cause of the noise hence the search is still on. Whilst having the wheels off I also dismantled the wheel arch chrome moldings to start on the next project: de-rusting of the wheel arches in the back. Started to liaise with LMC to get the patch panels but their international shipping process needs me calling in. Shipping to Germany became bloody expensive and changes on a daily basis. Anyway that keeps me entertained during 

image0.jpeg.c76d092ec40fd852f08ab38d88cc173a.jpeg

image1.jpeg.977ce9c0b28f6ef7e0c1b9a454fa55a4.jpeg

Jochen,

When you cut out that rust drill a few large holes (25mm ?) in the metal support beneath, close to that edge.

So water and road debris can drain out rather than sitting up there.

It also gives you a place to flush it out when washing the truck.

Clear water, with an opportunity to dry won't promote more rust in the future.

Also, spraying a bit of sticky oil up there will wick into the pinch weld and keep water out.

I use chain saw bar oil as it clings very well.

Jochen - How did the brakes look? Any chance they were rusty and making the noise?

On the shipping, I'm wondering if several of you in Europe could coordinate and have a container shipped over from time to time. Was just discussing this on Facebook with a guy from the Netherlands, who said he's going to join here. Don't know how or if it would work, but...

Jochen - How did the brakes look? Any chance they were rusty and making the noise?

On the shipping, I'm wondering if several of you in Europe could coordinate and have a container shipped over from time to time. Was just discussing this on Facebook with a guy from the Netherlands, who said he's going to join here. Don't know how or if it would work, but...

Gary,

If he "has a few millimeters play" in the rear wheel, it seems the bearing is not preloaded correctly.

Though I'd think this would result in a leaking seal.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/back-wheel-noise-and-slack-tp90779.html

Gary,

If he "has a few millimeters play" in the rear wheel, it seems the bearing is not preloaded correctly.

Though I'd think this would result in a leaking seal.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/back-wheel-noise-and-slack-tp90779.html

True, Jim. But a question I've had, and failed to ask, is if it is really the wheel that is moving or the brake drum. The picture where he mentioned the movement shows the brake drum, not the wheel. And with the wheel off there's only the studs and axle protruding through to keep the drum from moving.

And now he says the bearings are good, which is why I asked about the drums. He said this happened when he pulled the truck out of its winter hibernation, and I've been wondering if it is rust in the drum(s).

True, Jim. But a question I've had, and failed to ask, is if it is really the wheel that is moving or the brake drum. The picture where he mentioned the movement shows the brake drum, not the wheel. And with the wheel off there's only the studs and axle protruding through to keep the drum from moving.

And now he says the bearings are good, which is why I asked about the drums. He said this happened when he pulled the truck out of its winter hibernation, and I've been wondering if it is rust in the drum(s).

So the lug nuts were loose?

I don't understand how the wheel can have play if the studs are pressed through the axle flange.

And I don't understand the drum being involved, except that it is clamped by the rim.

So the lug nuts were loose?I don't understand how the wheel can have play if the studs are pressed through the axle flange.And I don't understand the drum being involved, except that it is clamped by the rim.
Drums and brakes are all good. May well be that the nuts were loosen but after assembling everything back together the play was gone. I couldn‘t identify the cause yet but i can reproduce it now when I lift the rear bumper on the left corner and let it down again. Not on the right corner though. Need to get a friend to help me on finalizing the search, one lifting and one listening and looking 😄

On the shipping cost It might help to consolidate European shipments though container costs went up as well significantly. I guess we will need to bite bullet going forward. Transportation was too cheap anyway in the past in my view.