back wheel noise and slack

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

back wheel noise and slack

Jochen1964
Hi Guys, hope you are all doing well despite these crazy times. I need some support in further identifying the root cause of the new noise I have detected when I last pulled out my truck a couple of days ago. When driving over bumps or on a bumpy road I have now a noise coming from rear left wheel. It is not a constant noise but only when coming off the bump.
I realized that I have some slack in the wheel when moving it transversally to the driving direction, ie when tipping the wheel at the top toward the right rear wheel it moves a few millimeters back and forth. Is that a problem with the wheel bearing(s)? When dismantling the wheel (see pic attached) I see a cap on the center of the brake drum. Is that a simple dust cap or does this have any adjustment functionality?
Any idea on what the root cause could be and how this can be resolved?
Sorry for posting a new thread, I am sure the answer is already somewhere in the forum but I am unsuccessful (and impatient :-)) since it is not my mothertongue. Even in German I sometimes fail to find the right expression for specific parts.
Thanks for your help in advance

Mein Laster: 1986 Ford F150 XL, 4WD, sgl cab, short bed, 302 EFI
Meine Katze: KTM 890 SMT
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: back wheel noise and slack

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jochen - It might be a wheel bearing, but it might simply be that the drum got wet and rusted while you had it parked.  That isn't uncommon and the rust will wear off with a bit of driving.

So I'd drive it and see.  But if you are concerned and want to find out you should pull the brake drum.  But some times getting the drum off is "fun".  The issue typically is that the drum has worn and the shoes are down into the groove.

Also, the part in the center is the end of the axle and not a dust cap.  And many times there is rust between the axle and the drum.  So you may have to pry a lot between the drum and the backing plate to get the drum off.  Or, maybe you will be lucky and it'll come right off.

Others might have a better idea on how to get the drum off.

As for instructions, go to our page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes.  There you might go to the Rear Brakes tab and then the Drum Brakes R&R tab.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

cjstaci
Hi, if you have up and down play then you may have a bad bearing, assuming the lug nuts are tight. A tell tale sign of a bearing problem is a leaking seal. Also,  check to make sure the bolts holding your axle in are tight.
To take the brake drum off, back off the brake adjustment,  then a couple taps with a hammer on the flat part of the drum between the axle studs should help to break loose any rust.

In regards to the noise you hear when going over a bump in the road,  check to make sure you don't have a loose shock or worn shackles and or bushings.
1981 F350 custom, std cab, 4X4, 400, C-6, 3.54 gears.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jochen1964
I have to concur with Staci.

The noise you hear is far more likely a worn spring bushing, shackle or damper than it is a wheel bearing.
Especially if you don't have an axle leak.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
Thanks all for your inputs so far. Will go back with these and check them out and will report back.

Viele Grüße
Jochen

Am 11.03.2021 um 21:31 schrieb ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <[hidden email]>:

I have to concur with Staci.

The noise you hear is far more likely a worn spring bushing, shackle or damper than it is a wheel bearing.
Especially if you don't have an axle leak.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/back-wheel-noise-and-slack-tp90779p90924.html
To unsubscribe from back wheel noise and slack, click here.
NAML
Mein Laster: 1986 Ford F150 XL, 4WD, sgl cab, short bed, 302 EFI
Meine Katze: KTM 890 SMT