Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

.... I grew up driving on snow and Dad taught me to pump the brakes to keep the tires rolling some....

I used to subscribe to Car and Driver magazine. I remember rearing an article where the author was at a performance driving school, something like Bob Bondurant. The instructor was asking the students what they thought they should do when stopping on a slippery surface. Of course most suggested pumping the brakes. The instructor said that NOBODY could pump brakes well enough for it to be a good idea. That sliding friction between the tire and the ice or snow would stop you quicker than not having the brakes on as much as you could to maximize the rolling friction.

His advice was all or nothing. Lock'em up when you're trying to stop, steer as you think you should (even though it doesn't do anything with the front tires locked), let off the brakes when you need to steer, and then lock 'em up again.

.... I grew up driving on snow and Dad taught me to pump the brakes to keep the tires rolling some....

I used to subscribe to Car and Driver magazine. I remember rearing an article where the author was at a performance driving school, something like Bob Bondurant. The instructor was asking the students what they thought they should do when stopping on a slippery surface. Of course most suggested pumping the brakes. The instructor said that NOBODY could pump brakes well enough for it to be a good idea. That sliding friction between the tire and the ice or snow would stop you quicker than not having the brakes on as much as you could to maximize the rolling friction.

His advice was all or nothing. Lock'em up when you're trying to stop, steer as you think you should (even though it doesn't do anything with the front tires locked), let off the brakes when you need to steer, and then lock 'em up again.

That whole "let off the brakes if you need to steer" thing is the simplest advice.

I try not to use brakes at all if I don't have to.

Minimize delta. Slow and steady is best.

But you need to be moving fast enough to clear the tread.

Don't corner at too high a speed.

More than anything, stay the hell away from other drivers.

That whole "let off the brakes if you need to steer" thing is the simplest advice.

I try not to use brakes at all if I don't have to.

Minimize delta. Slow and steady is best.

But you need to be moving fast enough to clear the tread.

Don't corner at too high a speed.

More than anything, stay the hell away from other drivers.

I think that’s the biggest problem, a lot of people do not slow down.

I understand getting caught by surprise, sort of. If there's a chance of slippery roads, slow down.

I think that’s the biggest problem, a lot of people do not slow down.

I understand getting caught by surprise, sort of. If there's a chance of slippery roads, slow down.

Yep surprise can happen.

Last week where I had to make a load drop of 10k gallons of LP, tank trailer, it was not to start snowing till about 4am I got there at 1am and it was starting to snow.

By the time I got the load off, about an hour, there was about 4" on the ground and streets.

Slow & steady to the high way and a slow drive back to get my 2nd load to a non-snow area.

For the normal hour+ drive at 70 MPH took a lot longer doing it at 30 to 35 max MPH.

This last week we have had a lot of rain but just go a little north and they got freezing rain that coated everything. Lucky the streets did not ice over but you still needed to watch in case and on bridges for ice.

I do know when to shut down but you do what you have to as gas has to go out or people don't have gas to heat or cook with.

I also grew up where Jim is (snow & ice) and with older cars & trucks that you had to drive, it did not do it for you, so that helps me down here.

Dave ----

Well, it was a great day for sure. Been prepping the floor pan for a while and sealing up all the seams.

These are LMC leather seats and console / buddy seat and carpet.

A little tricky to install.

Tips: the shift boots go on the bottom and the carpet goes on top. Remove the boots and shifters, then cut holes in the carpet the size of the shift cutouts. Then pull back the carpet, install the shifters and boots and pull the boots through on the other side as you lay the carpet back down. You may have to do a little bit of trimming to pull the last wrinkle of the boot through.

The seats have to be bolted to the mounting frame first. I put the mounting frame in the truck and then bolted the center console in first then lifted up each side after the seat was positioned and tightened the bolts underneath.

Next, you have to find the holes in the carpet and align with the bolt holes in the floor and the seat subframe. This took a little time to do by myself because I had to hold the seat up and shift everything around to try and make the holes line up. I recommend that you get help from a friend if possible. Leave the bolts as loose as you can until they are all started. there's almost no clearance for the back two mounting bolts so I used a 13 mm box wrench and went 1/4 turn at a time until it was tight. I'm going to go buy a ratcheting set as a consolation prize to myself.

Also, I cut the plastic off of my seat belts in order for them to fit between the buddy seat. You have to get a little creative with bolting down the seat belts. I did this last and think it might have been better if I put the seatbelt through the back rail on the subframe of the seats first and then bolt down the entire assembly to the cab.

These seats sit lower than the old bench did. I'm 6'4 so it works out very well for me and allows me to see more of the speedometer through the steering wheel.

They're very comfortable. Reminds me of sitting in my old 68 mustang.

Now for that back wall carpet to cover up the sound matting....

PXL_20210221_210007520.jpg.40d26b0f3ae317a95971a6d7693d8de4.jpg

Well, it was a great day for sure. Been prepping the floor pan for a while and sealing up all the seams.

These are LMC leather seats and console / buddy seat and carpet.

A little tricky to install.

Tips: the shift boots go on the bottom and the carpet goes on top. Remove the boots and shifters, then cut holes in the carpet the size of the shift cutouts. Then pull back the carpet, install the shifters and boots and pull the boots through on the other side as you lay the carpet back down. You may have to do a little bit of trimming to pull the last wrinkle of the boot through.

The seats have to be bolted to the mounting frame first. I put the mounting frame in the truck and then bolted the center console in first then lifted up each side after the seat was positioned and tightened the bolts underneath.

Next, you have to find the holes in the carpet and align with the bolt holes in the floor and the seat subframe. This took a little time to do by myself because I had to hold the seat up and shift everything around to try and make the holes line up. I recommend that you get help from a friend if possible. Leave the bolts as loose as you can until they are all started. there's almost no clearance for the back two mounting bolts so I used a 13 mm box wrench and went 1/4 turn at a time until it was tight. I'm going to go buy a ratcheting set as a consolation prize to myself.

Also, I cut the plastic off of my seat belts in order for them to fit between the buddy seat. You have to get a little creative with bolting down the seat belts. I did this last and think it might have been better if I put the seatbelt through the back rail on the subframe of the seats first and then bolt down the entire assembly to the cab.

These seats sit lower than the old bench did. I'm 6'4 so it works out very well for me and allows me to see more of the speedometer through the steering wheel.

They're very comfortable. Reminds me of sitting in my old 68 mustang.

Now for that back wall carpet to cover up the sound matting....

That looks GREAT! I love the seats and the console/buddy seat. You'll have to tell us how comfortable they are after you get to spend several hours in them.

That looks GREAT! I love the seats and the console/buddy seat. You'll have to tell us how comfortable they are after you get to spend several hours in them.

Well, I'm driving across country over a 6 week period here in a few months. Maybe when I get to Tulsa area, I can tell you in person!