Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I took the rainiest afternoon of the year so far, and pulled the truck halfway into the garage with the best intentions to install new dash lights and my voltmeter conversion from RocketMan after finally getting the brake warning light to go out (I'll update that thread with the anti-climatic conclusion next)

However, as I was pulling into the driveway, I heard a "pop" sound at the windshield and noted the passenger wiper stopped midway through its arc.

I took the cowl off, cleaned out all the leaf debris and crud from the vent wells and found the passenger-side pivot arm had only popped off the brushing. After checking the diagram in the shop manual, I realized I could stop looking for the imaginary retaining clip I thought I vacuumed up with the debris and pushed the pivot arm back on to the brushing (I feel dumb. I just figured something was keeping it on besides friction). I expect what made it pop off will occur again, but I couldn't see any damage to either part of the connection and it operated fine for the rest of the day. I lubed the rest of the pivot points for good measure.

I 3M-taped some window screen under the cowl before re-installing. I don't expect it to last, Besides parking indoors- does anyone have simple solutions to keep the crud out of the air-vent wells ?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great work Dave!

It's amazing how you fit pieces in (like your firewall)

You are an inspiration.

When you weld up the holes do you braze them. Just pulse quick with a MIG?

I have a bunch of chunks of copper (plate, rods, 'spoons') that I use for that kind of stuff if I can get at the back.

Basically like a dolly, but for welding.

I'm wondering what others do in this sort of situation.

Yes, Dave, you are an inspiration. I am amazed at both how much you get done and how well it turns out.

:nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - I don't have any spoons or copper plates, so I just weld them up and grind both sides with a right-angle grinder using a flap wheel.

Thanks guys on the job done.

As for the holes I do have a spoon but have not used it yet. I did use a copper sheet before and was not happy how it worked so I hope the thicker spoon will be better.

I don't have welding gas so no brazing. Would also need a small tip torch to keep the heat local and not warp the metal.

Bigger holes I have used solid rod and welded with my MIG. Used a cut off wheel to cut the rod and did the same on the next hole.

I think the holes I can get to the back side I will try the spoon. Starting on the outer edge of the hole and working to the center to fill it. Will try the same on the others too.

Dave ----

I took the rainiest afternoon of the year so far, and pulled the truck halfway into the garage with the best intentions to install new dash lights and my voltmeter conversion from RocketMan after finally getting the brake warning light to go out (I'll update that thread with the anti-climatic conclusion next)

However, as I was pulling into the driveway, I heard a "pop" sound at the windshield and noted the passenger wiper stopped midway through its arc.

I took the cowl off, cleaned out all the leaf debris and crud from the vent wells and found the passenger-side pivot arm had only popped off the brushing. After checking the diagram in the shop manual, I realized I could stop looking for the imaginary retaining clip I thought I vacuumed up with the debris and pushed the pivot arm back on to the brushing (I feel dumb. I just figured something was keeping it on besides friction). I expect what made it pop off will occur again, but I couldn't see any damage to either part of the connection and it operated fine for the rest of the day. I lubed the rest of the pivot points for good measure.

I 3M-taped some window screen under the cowl before re-installing. I don't expect it to last, Besides parking indoors- does anyone have simple solutions to keep the crud out of the air-vent wells ?

One "fix" is to go with the 87+ cowl that has the holes instead of slots. That's what Big Blue has on him.

But I don't really like the look, so will go back to the 1980 - 86 cowl with a plastic mesh glued to it. My paint/body man says he knows just the stuff to use, but I haven't gotten a name for it yet. Will do if you need it.

One "fix" is to go with the 87+ cowl that has the holes instead of slots. That's what Big Blue has on him.

But I don't really like the look, so will go back to the 1980 - 86 cowl with a plastic mesh glued to it. My paint/body man says he knows just the stuff to use, but I haven't gotten a name for it yet. Will do if you need it.

That's what I did on Mary's cousin's 1989 G30, it had a ton of crap in the cowl.

Great work Dave!

It's amazing how you fit pieces in (like your firewall)

You are an inspiration.

When you weld up the holes do you braze them. Just pulse quick with a MIG?

I have a bunch of chunks of copper (plate, rods, 'spoons') that I use for that kind of stuff if I can get at the back.

Basically like a dolly, but for welding.

I'm wondering what others do in this sort of situation.

Yes, Dave, you are an inspiration. I am amazed at both how much you get done and how well it turns out.

:nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - I don't have any spoons or copper plates, so I just weld them up and grind both sides with a right-angle grinder using a flap wheel.

Thanks guys on the job done.

As for the holes I do have a spoon but have not used it yet. I did use a copper sheet before and was not happy how it worked so I hope the thicker spoon will be better.

I don't have welding gas so no brazing. Would also need a small tip torch to keep the heat local and not warp the metal.

Bigger holes I have used solid rod and welded with my MIG. Used a cut off wheel to cut the rod and did the same on the next hole.

I think the holes I can get to the back side I will try the spoon. Starting on the outer edge of the hole and working to the center to fill it. Will try the same on the others too.

Dave ----

I have some 3/8 plate, and some 2" bar I got from the old power plant, that I've cut chunks and made it into cones, domes, and wedges to fit various places.

It really sucks the heat out of the sheet metal and you can weld right over it with the little mig I have.

Thanks Gary,

I figure this half measure will last the season, but when you get yours done, I'll watch for it to model for a more professional execution.

You've been busy today!

Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - Thanks for saying that. You wouldn't believe how much grief I got last weekend because I'm not done with Dad's truck or haven't made as much progress as people expected. So having someone say that I've been busy is a big deal. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Jim - Thanks for saying that. You wouldn't believe how much grief I got last weekend because I'm not done with Dad's truck or haven't made as much progress as people expected. So having someone say that I've been busy is a big deal. :nabble_anim_handshake:

New carb day! Holley Classic 600 CFM, electric choke, vacuum secondaries.

Picked the Holley for ease of linkage hookup, and now that I've messed with them a bit, I like them.

Installed #64 Primary Jets due to the elevation we live at. Comes with #66 and we are at 4100 foot elevation.

Pretty straight forward. Need a good 12 volt source, the OEM choke hook up won't work as many already know. Instructions said I needed to install the transmission kickdown adjuster. Didn't have one as the kickdown linkage is a little different than OEM. I got into my 20 year drawer and put together an adjuster with a 10 32 screw and two nuts.

I started my truck and moved it around to the front of my small garage, nothing I own except my riding mower will fit! When I pulled the old carb off there was fuel in the intake, hmmm....

Got the carb set up and installed and hooked up everything. The kickdown adjustment was a wag! New fuel filter.

Started relatively easy. Got it warmed up and adjusted the idle mixture screws with my handy dandy vacuum gauge. Decided to bump the timing a little bit, it's at recommended at the time. Now it's snowing...

Test drive, big difference, about ten feet shy of a huge difference. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Except the kickdown is coming in way early. Back home for an adjustment, next drive better, but still too early. Back home, took the adjusting screw out all together. Next drive, much better, but a little early, but not much I can do about that.

All in all, I'm happy and my truck is happy!

Carb_1.jpg.da90bddf89aa1b066377b77f901c2414.jpgCarb_2.jpg.e829d2a2808ee62d8f7dbefdaee05c06.jpgCarb_3.jpg.e8511c81f830a05f77ebb7dca05365f3.jpg