Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Today I had 4 new tires and a front end alignment done.

The ride is definitely better but I still have some wandering steering , especially over bumps and bumps going around curves. I replaced the front shocks already.

Kinda of a jerky back and forth feeling.

Any advice as to what to look at next?

Those shirts are awesome !

Thanks

Today I made the call. Got the truck booked in for next Wednesday for the mechanic too look at my coolant consumption issue. Hopefully it is the head gasket and I can get a reasonable quote for it to be fixed...

Today I had 4 new tires and a front end alignment done.

The ride is definitely better but I still have some wandering steering , especially over bumps and bumps going around curves. I replaced the front shocks already.

Kinda of a jerky back and forth feeling.

Any advice as to what to look at next?

Those shirts are awesome !

Thanks

Josh - Have you checked the radius arm bushings? The radius arm run from the axle back to the frame beneath the driver's or passenger's feet. If the bushings are bad the steering will change on bumps.

Today I made the call. Got the truck booked in for next Wednesday for the mechanic too look at my coolant consumption issue. Hopefully it is the head gasket and I can get a reasonable quote for it to be fixed...

I hope that fixes the problem and that you don't have a cracked head or a cracked block. Those can be 'spensive!

Josh - Have you checked the radius arm bushings? The radius arm run from the axle back to the frame beneath the driver's or passenger's feet. If the bushings are bad the steering will change on bumps.

Thanks Gary! Sounds like that could be it. I looked up the procedure and it doesn’t look terrible. Looks like a warmer weather project. I will crawl under the truck and at least take a looksy.

Thanks Gary! Sounds like that could be it. I looked up the procedure and it doesn’t look terrible. Looks like a warmer weather project. I will crawl under the truck and at least take a looksy.

If you go under the truck have someone crank the wheel back and forth while you look for movement in the steering box or frame.

You never know what you might see. 👀

Before you turn the wheel with the engine off, take a piece of plastic wrap or a rubber glove and cover the steering reservoir lid.

These C2 pumps will squirt out the vent hole in the lid when the sector box is turned while they are not pumping.

I hope that fixes the problem and that you don't have a cracked head or a cracked block. Those can be 'spensive!

Thanks Gary. I will report back with their findings... I hope it is something that won't break the bank. But basically I can afford a complete new engine in the truck if needed as I am holding off working on the Bronco engine until this is done. We need the truck, it has become invaluable for us as a working truck doing dump runs, hay runs, generally being "the friend with the truck" it is used in a ton of photo shoots for friends craft products and family pics.... Not to mention my daily driver :)

If you go under the truck have someone crank the wheel back and forth while you look for movement in the steering box or frame.

You never know what you might see. 👀

Before you turn the wheel with the engine off, take a piece of plastic wrap or a rubber glove and cover the steering reservoir lid.

These C2 pumps will squirt out the vent hole in the lid when the sector box is turned while they are not pumping.

Thanks Jim.

I crawled under the truck and took some pics. The front end is something I have no real experience with.

Maybe you guys can look and see if there is anything obvious? I guess what looks like a tie rod to me on the driver side wheel has no bushing left at all. I can take better pics if this might help see any obvious issues since I am not sure what I am looking at.

I found the radius arm bushings. At first look the one I could get close to looks like it has been replaced before since the nut does not look very old or rusted. But who knows?

Thanks everyone!

IMG_0444.jpg.f6854f6dfb7767410d9e1a64ce456c23.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg.a0650ef211aef94bd05743602144eeb0.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg.9a57b786100b5a3582ab285feed25c9f.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg.f438a688611630e9ae171db1082e9fee.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg.ff1859a8eb996f0c653b2773157d58ad.jpg

Thanks Jim.

I crawled under the truck and took some pics. The front end is something I have no real experience with.

Maybe you guys can look and see if there is anything obvious? I guess what looks like a tie rod to me on the driver side wheel has no bushing left at all. I can take better pics if this might help see any obvious issues since I am not sure what I am looking at.

I found the radius arm bushings. At first look the one I could get close to looks like it has been replaced before since the nut does not look very old or rusted. But who knows?

Thanks everyone!

The shop should have checked the front end out before putting it on the rack because if the wheels are moving there is no way they can set anything.

Mine does the same thing and I know everything is new, I did the work, and was checked by the shop before it hit the rack.

Part of mine is the kingpins are to tight and the steering wheel will not return to center from a turn.

Part of that could also be caster or lack there of but it was within spec.

The other is no sway bars.

There was a post in the other forum in the older area of a member installing them on his truck and said with just the front helped make it stable in turns & over bumps.

He did install a rear bar and said it helped a little more but then found it was hitting the frame or body and removed it till he could find a bar to fit better.

I would love to install sway bars but the ones on Ebay for the F & R and brackets is like $400+ and being cheap not going to happen.

Dave ----

The shop should have checked the front end out before putting it on the rack because if the wheels are moving there is no way they can set anything.

Mine does the same thing and I know everything is new, I did the work, and was checked by the shop before it hit the rack.

Part of mine is the kingpins are to tight and the steering wheel will not return to center from a turn.

Part of that could also be caster or lack there of but it was within spec.

The other is no sway bars.

There was a post in the other forum in the older area of a member installing them on his truck and said with just the front helped make it stable in turns & over bumps.

He did install a rear bar and said it helped a little more but then found it was hitting the frame or body and removed it till he could find a bar to fit better.

I would love to install sway bars but the ones on Ebay for the F & R and brackets is like $400+ and being cheap not going to happen.

Dave ----

Didn't get to work on the 86 today but got a delivery today so I can hit it hard this weekend.

IMG_20210120_210235.jpg.b830e721d7a84316ae98c2c08e13b33e.jpg