Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Something to think about, may do that later on....

What color letters for the tailgate?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n79643/rear.jpg

Are you painting them or decaling them?

I think the dark color of your truck would look good in the tan area for letters.

Thing is I don't think that color or close to that color comes in a decal?

At first I was looking to paint mine on like the factory did, with a rubber roller, in white to match the white on the truck.

Thing was it had to be done after the red went on and if I was to mess up the with the white I may have needed to repaint the red on the gate.

That is why I went with decal in white reflective that is close to the white on the truck.

Google FORD decal letters to see what colors they came in as I was looking for white reflective.

Dave ----

A decal can be most any color under the sun.

It's not as if the plotter cares what vinyl it is cutting.

You just have to find someone with a roll.

There are a lot on offer on eBay.

You may even find a local sign and graphics shop to do it for you (if they have the correct font in their library)

Usually sold as DORF or something, because of The Motor Company pursuing their IP.

• 2 weeks later...

A decal can be most any color under the sun.

It's not as if the plotter cares what vinyl it is cutting.

You just have to find someone with a roll.

There are a lot on offer on eBay.

You may even find a local sign and graphics shop to do it for you (if they have the correct font in their library)

Usually sold as DORF or something, because of The Motor Company pursuing their IP.

So here's a contraption that will make you cuss like a sailor on Sunday right after Church! I asked one of our members if he might have a couple parts I was missing and his response was essentially, "jeez, I'm thinking that's something that would have been left on the side of the road somewhere." True statement!!!

IMG_1120.thumb.jpg.fce40b9676bfeb6d29c7f25530b04684.jpg

IMG_1116.thumb.jpg.163670674cf45eaca7b4c3c005d0a2d1.jpg

While crawling around under my truck tracing the electrical for my fuel gauge problem, I noted I was missing some components of my spare tire assembly. Also noted how rusted those pieces were. Sourced the missing parts, pulled the existing parts, media blasted it, primed and painted it all. I did not paint the threads on the hanger bolts, rather cleaned them up and sprayed them with the pictured fluid film. I read great reviews on how this stuff slows down rust. Guess we'll see! As for the wheel, will later have the tire removed and either paint or powder coat it. BTW, that tire is the original spare tire. Never been on the road.

So here's a contraption that will make you cuss like a sailor on Sunday right after Church! I asked one of our members if he might have a couple parts I was missing and his response was essentially, "jeez, I'm thinking that's something that would have been left on the side of the road somewhere." True statement!!!

While crawling around under my truck tracing the electrical for my fuel gauge problem, I noted I was missing some components of my spare tire assembly. Also noted how rusted those pieces were. Sourced the missing parts, pulled the existing parts, media blasted it, primed and painted it all. I did not paint the threads on the hanger bolts, rather cleaned them up and sprayed them with the pictured fluid film. I read great reviews on how this stuff slows down rust. Guess we'll see! As for the wheel, will later have the tire removed and either paint or powder coat it. BTW, that tire is the original spare tire. Never been on the road.

That looks great, John! :nabble_smiley_good:

Says a lot for the longevity of the original tires, and the fact that no one had to use it in the ensuing decades.

A few months back I had to 'recreate' my spare tire sling.

I was astounded it was still holding in place.

I have a spare like that, and may take it when I go overlanding just in case the "new" spare isn't enough. But I sure wouldn't plan to go very far. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, good job on the carrier! :nabble_anim_claps:

Definitely not white. To this day I don't know what Ford was thinking with that color. I always wanted to paint them brown to match the upper and lower colors on my 1980, but ended up installing a tailgate panel instead.

Definitely not white. To this day I don't know what Ford was thinking with that color. I always wanted to paint them brown to match the upper and lower colors on my 1980, but ended up installing a tailgate panel instead.

I have all the parts, or did 4 years ago from my parts truck, to install a spare but the wheel :nabble_smiley_cry:

I should get one some day and 5 lug nuts as my after market wheels use a different nuts.

My 02 Durango should still have the factory spare under it and never on the ground.

I say "should" as I don't get under there to check to see if still there or not.

Old age and having AAA / towing I don't see the need LOL

Guess that is why no rush on the pick up spare tire and I have flat bed towing with that truck.

Dave ----

If not brown, I think red would look great on there.

...just my opinion.

I have all the parts, or did 4 years ago from my parts truck, to install a spare but the wheel :nabble_smiley_cry:

I should get one some day and 5 lug nuts as my after market wheels use a different nuts.

My 02 Durango should still have the factory spare under it and never on the ground.

I say "should" as I don't get under there to check to see if still there or not.

Old age and having AAA / towing I don't see the need LOL

Guess that is why no rush on the pick up spare tire and I have flat bed towing with that truck.

Dave ----

Yesterday I checked fluids under the hood, been a bit and I have seen a puddle under the truck when I take it to work, it looked like coolant.

I thought I tighten up a heater hose clamp a while back but checking I had wet spot on the heater core bypass valve. Took up on it again and will keep and eye on it.

My son was helping so I had him check if the bypass valve was working.

At first I thought it was not but forgot I have the later HVAC control and the bypass only works on MAX AC

Topped up coolant, 1 qt oil and a little washer fluid as it was low but don't remember using it so wanted to check for it leaking, it was not.

I also checked if the choke was closing as the fast idle would only work if it was cold out when I took it to work when I got out. Truck rest in the house garage so some what warm and why I though it was not coming on. Well it was not really cold and the truck not been running for a lot of hours so it should have closed. It did not close all the way just a little so I adjusted it so it closed and the fast idle did work.

I need to test it some more before calling it good but did not take the truck out today so maybe tomorrow, have to see as I am on stand by for work.

I also adjusted the idle mix and got the idle RPM to come up a little. It may be to high for my liking but again needs more testing to be sure.

Wife wanted to go out to a burger joint next town over and being the truck was out for the carb adjustment we took it. As normal it ran great there and back.

Oh burger place was drive thru only, think they went back to this on the latest numbers out as we could eat inside with spacing last time there.

So we had to eat in the truck under the parking lot street light next door, not like candle light but close :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

Yesterday I checked fluids under the hood, been a bit and I have seen a puddle under the truck when I take it to work, it looked like coolant.

I thought I tighten up a heater hose clamp a while back but checking I had wet spot on the heater core bypass valve. Took up on it again and will keep and eye on it.

My son was helping so I had him check if the bypass valve was working.

At first I thought it was not but forgot I have the later HVAC control and the bypass only works on MAX AC

Topped up coolant, 1 qt oil and a little washer fluid as it was low but don't remember using it so wanted to check for it leaking, it was not.

I also checked if the choke was closing as the fast idle would only work if it was cold out when I took it to work when I got out. Truck rest in the house garage so some what warm and why I though it was not coming on. Well it was not really cold and the truck not been running for a lot of hours so it should have closed. It did not close all the way just a little so I adjusted it so it closed and the fast idle did work.

I need to test it some more before calling it good but did not take the truck out today so maybe tomorrow, have to see as I am on stand by for work.

I also adjusted the idle mix and got the idle RPM to come up a little. It may be to high for my liking but again needs more testing to be sure.

Wife wanted to go out to a burger joint next town over and being the truck was out for the carb adjustment we took it. As normal it ran great there and back.

Oh burger place was drive thru only, think they went back to this on the latest numbers out as we could eat inside with spacing last time there.

So we had to eat in the truck under the parking lot street light next door, not like candle light but close :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

As long as you two didn't get hassled by the cops for the windows steamed up! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

My ring gear is completely DONE.

I'm tired of parking on hills or getting out with a 15/16 on my 1/2 ratchet and searching for a spot that will engage.

I have four chewed up starters in the barn, and another under the truck.

I have everything I need.

But I need to find a spot where I can pull the engine and get the pan gasket changed too.

It's only getting colder, and I'm tired.

As long as you two didn't get hassled by the cops for the windows steamed up! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

My ring gear is completely DONE.

I'm tired of parking on hills or getting out with a 15/16 on my 1/2 ratchet and searching for a spot that will engage.

I have four chewed up starters in the barn, and another under the truck.

I have everything I need.

But I need to find a spot where I can pull the engine and get the pan gasket changed too.

It's only getting colder, and I'm tired.

Jim - That's a bummer! Hope you find a safe place to pull it.