Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Back in the late 60s I was working rotating shifts at NNS, 1st was 7 AM to 4 PM with an hour for lunch, 2nd was 4 pm to midnight with a 20 min lunch break. 3rd was midnight to 8 AM. If I was working Water Chemistry, it was 8 am to 4 PM with a 20 min lunch. We would do 2 weeks of each then move "up" one shift so it was 2 wks of modified 1st, 2 wks of 2nd and 2 wks of 3rd. The 2 wks of 3rd I would try to get the middle weekend as your schedule was so screwed up that a 2 day break made it worse.

At that time the lab techs were hourly and union eligible so there was a 7% night shift differential. This meant that the 4 weeks I worked 2nd and 3rd shift I got an extra 7% + overtime on weekends.

When I was on active duty in the Marines, if you got 5 hours sleep weeknights you felt lucky.

Bill - Depending on how "in the late 60s" you mean, I was doing the same thing at the same time. Graduated college in May of '69, having bought a new Super Bee in April, and worked for the power company in Wichita on a rotating schedule. When we came off of Graveyards onto Daylights we had a 3-day weekend. But no pay differential.

Bill - Depending on how "in the late 60s" you mean, I was doing the same thing at the same time. Graduated college in May of '69, having bought a new Super Bee in April, and worked for the power company in Wichita on a rotating schedule. When we came off of Graveyards onto Daylights we had a 3-day weekend. But no pay differential.

I started Dec 1966 and left Sep 1970. Went back Jan 1982, retired Nov 2011

Ja!

All I know is it doesn't matter if you can drive, all that matters is if you can back up.

So true. I don't get that a lot of places say you need XXXX miles / years over the road going FORWARD! before they will hire you?

Just got a call, woke me up, and my loads have changed. Getting up at 2am for 3 loads of cement to a paving company. We pump it into a spreader truck and they put it on the ground and mix it in with a big tiller and then roll it out. Gives a solid base to put the black top on if not the ground flexes and the black top will break up. I think I will have a lot of backing up to do tomorrow at the site.

On the shift work we did get differential pay depending on what shift, got more for weekends and holidays got even more. I had 1 guy that worked 3-11 and always worked most holidays so I asked why? He would work 3 days and got paid for 5 and he still had 2 more days to work and 2 days off in that week!

Dave ----

Ja!

All I know is it doesn't matter if you can drive, all that matters is if you can back up.

So true. I don't get that a lot of places say you need XXXX miles / years over the road going FORWARD! before they will hire you?

Just got a call, woke me up, and my loads have changed. Getting up at 2am for 3 loads of cement to a paving company. We pump it into a spreader truck and they put it on the ground and mix it in with a big tiller and then roll it out. Gives a solid base to put the black top on if not the ground flexes and the black top will break up. I think I will have a lot of backing up to do tomorrow at the site.

On the shift work we did get differential pay depending on what shift, got more for weekends and holidays got even more. I had 1 guy that worked 3-11 and always worked most holidays so I asked why? He would work 3 days and got paid for 5 and he still had 2 more days to work and 2 days off in that week!

Dave ----

When the bridge fell down union carpenters were getting $23.75 an hour.

But negotiated pay was straight time to 36hrs time and a half 36-40, double time over 40 and triple time Sundays and holidays.

I was a kid making $70 an hour in 1983!

Screw Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Easter and the 4th of July.

I'll take your shift if you want home with the family..... :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

That job rolled 24/7/365 until the highway was back to fully operational.

The abutments, piers and deck all had to be monolithic pours.

And that road deck was thousands of cubic yards.

Genovese on Davenport was open round the clock and had a hard time keeping up.

When the bridge fell down union carpenters were getting $23.75 an hour.

But negotiated pay was straight time to 36hrs time and a half 36-40, double time over 40 and triple time Sundays and holidays.

I was a kid making $70 an hour in 1983!

Screw Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Easter and the 4th of July.

I'll take your shift if you want home with the family..... http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

That job rolled 24/7/365 until the highway was back to fully operational.

The abutments, piers and deck all had to be monolithic pours.

And that road deck was thousands of cubic yards.

Genovese on Davenport was open round the clock and had a hard time keeping up.

My tire carrier is SHOT !

IMG_20200824_094328.thumb.jpg.8e092e00e66a0c16ebeac86cbe4a8bff.jpg

So when I get done figuring out where my brakes went I will weld this up and paint it.

Ferro ticks, tin worm and brass maggots too!

Well, my master was VERY thirsty!

But this is a big problem, because I don't find wetness under the truck.

I'm REALLY hoping it isn't getting sucked into the booster.

I'm going to let the fluid settle into the system and look again.

Before I start screaming and crying about this.... :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Well, my master was VERY thirsty!

But this is a big problem, because I don't find wetness under the truck.

I'm REALLY hoping it isn't getting sucked into the booster.

I'm going to let the fluid settle into the system and look again.

Before I start screaming and crying about this.... :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Jim - I have the master and booster off of Big Blue, and the pair off of Huck. Either are yours if you want them.