Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Welcome to 'Mornings with Cory, ep. 432' :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Haha! I slept in today! I've been doing pretty good these days, usually sleeping until about 5am (Atlantic time), plus or minus 15 mins, so anytime I wake up and see 5+ on the clock, I consider myself well rested, lol! I wake up at 4am sometimes, and that's just too early.

I'm off to the shop again this morning to finish disassembling the crusty '95. I quite enjoy my solo time in the shop with my rust and dirt and grinding sparks...lol.

My friend Tom is sort of looking for a Dentside truck. There are a few of them around, but usually they are rust buckets or $20-$30k trucks that have been restored. I think he's looking for something sort of in the middle, which is even rare still! In any case, I like hunting for this stuff, so I don't mind knocking on doors to ask questions;).

Hopefully I get to see the Flareside in the flesh one of these days. I'll let him know about the forum for sure.

Welcome to 'Mornings with Cory, ep. 432' :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Haha! I slept in today! I've been doing pretty good these days, usually sleeping until about 5am (Atlantic time), plus or minus 15 mins, so anytime I wake up and see 5+ on the clock, I consider myself well rested, lol! I wake up at 4am sometimes, and that's just too early.

I'm off to the shop again this morning to finish disassembling the crusty '95. I quite enjoy my solo time in the shop with my rust and dirt and grinding sparks...lol.

My friend Tom is sort of looking for a Dentside truck. There are a few of them around, but usually they are rust buckets or $20-$30k trucks that have been restored. I think he's looking for something sort of in the middle, which is even rare still! In any case, I like hunting for this stuff, so I don't mind knocking on doors to ask questions;).

Hopefully I get to see the Flareside in the flesh one of these days. I'll let him know about the forum for sure.

Well, you know I'm up 99% of the time.

Usually at 2:31, but sometimes I sleep in until 3:21.

I guess you're another hour ahead of me, depending on our daylight savings

You guys wear me out just thinking about getting up at those times! :nabble_smiley_cry:

I love the tutone blue truck! I'm hoping Big Blue will polish out a bit better when I finally take the time.

Last week I have been up between 12am & 2am EST depending on what loads I had that day.

Looks like I will be starting the week getting up at 12am again.

Have a 5 hour round trip for a load that has to be dropped at 8am.

The 12am get up is to SSS, drive to work and pre-trip the truck & trailer before hitting the road by 3am.

After I off load, about an hour to 2 depending on the site setup, if I have time call in to dispatch to see if they have anything else before I can park the truck 20 min from the off load site.

Fun day ahead.

Now to jump on the tractor and get some grass cut

Dave ----

Last week I have been up between 12am & 2am EST depending on what loads I had that day.

Looks like I will be starting the week getting up at 12am again.

Have a 5 hour round trip for a load that has to be dropped at 8am.

The 12am get up is to SSS, drive to work and pre-trip the truck & trailer before hitting the road by 3am.

After I off load, about an hour to 2 depending on the site setup, if I have time call in to dispatch to see if they have anything else before I can park the truck 20 min from the off load site.

Fun day ahead.

Now to jump on the tractor and get some grass cut

Dave ----

You have a busy day Dave!

But if you have to drive for a living, pre-dawn is the WTG. :nabble_smiley_good:

My little brother is a cop.

He has a constantly rotating schedule, and often has to pull doubles, and sometimes gets ordered in for a third shift!

When sailing I can get used to a 'swiss watch' 16 on 8 off.

It doesn't matter if I have to work nights, at least it's steady.

I used to work the graveyard shift (10-6) and then go to school as a kid.

So nothing new to me.

But if you have to drive for a living, pre-dawn is the WTG. :nabble_smiley_good:

He has a constantly rotating schedule, and often has to pull doubles, and sometimes gets ordered in for a third shift!

So nothing new to me.

I used to have to get up at 3 or 4 in the morning at my last job. Now it's 6:15 and that's still too early for me; I like to sleep in. I'm one of those people that needs ten hours of sleep to feel rested. :nabble_smiley_cool:

So nothing new to me.

At Greenwich Hosp. my dept. (HVAC) did not do rotating shifts (Boiler room did, I hate them) but I did have to work all shifts 7-3, 3-11, 11-7 with a double if someone called out sick or short staff.

I liked the 7-3 like normal people, then the 11-7 as you had no one around, you did your job given to you for the night & rounds and had the rest of the day to do what ever you needed to do. 3-11 was in the middle of the day and just messed you up LOL. By law we could not work 3 shifts in a row and would split shifts to spread the OT. Could not "cat nap" if cought out you go! so was best to keep busy.

Tomorrow I am on cement (fly ash) because it is 2 hour drive each way and maybe an hour load time, they open at 12am after closed all weekend, and the 8am drop is why I am up early.

I like the LP loads because most of the time they have no time for pickup / drop off. So I can get into some tight places and not worry about traffic running into me.

I know of 3 drops I have been to I have to back in off the street and 1 we back across the street from a parking lot.

Down here they have deep ditches for rain water run off and small drive way openings makes for fun pulling in or backing in. The life of a truck driver!

Dave ----

So nothing new to me.

Back in the late 60s I was working rotating shifts at NNS, 1st was 7 AM to 4 PM with an hour for lunch, 2nd was 4 pm to midnight with a 20 min lunch break. 3rd was midnight to 8 AM. If I was working Water Chemistry, it was 8 am to 4 PM with a 20 min lunch. We would do 2 weeks of each then move "up" one shift so it was 2 wks of modified 1st, 2 wks of 2nd and 2 wks of 3rd. The 2 wks of 3rd I would try to get the middle weekend as your schedule was so screwed up that a 2 day break made it worse.

At that time the lab techs were hourly and union eligible so there was a 7% night shift differential. This meant that the 4 weeks I worked 2nd and 3rd shift I got an extra 7% + overtime on weekends.

When I was on active duty in the Marines, if you got 5 hours sleep weeknights you felt lucky.

So nothing new to me.

At Greenwich Hosp. my dept. (HVAC) did not do rotating shifts (Boiler room did, I hate them) but I did have to work all shifts 7-3, 3-11, 11-7 with a double if someone called out sick or short staff.

I liked the 7-3 like normal people, then the 11-7 as you had no one around, you did your job given to you for the night & rounds and had the rest of the day to do what ever you needed to do. 3-11 was in the middle of the day and just messed you up LOL. By law we could not work 3 shifts in a row and would split shifts to spread the OT. Could not "cat nap" if cought out you go! so was best to keep busy.

Tomorrow I am on cement (fly ash) because it is 2 hour drive each way and maybe an hour load time, they open at 12am after closed all weekend, and the 8am drop is why I am up early.

I like the LP loads because most of the time they have no time for pickup / drop off. So I can get into some tight places and not worry about traffic running into me.

I know of 3 drops I have been to I have to back in off the street and 1 we back across the street from a parking lot.

Down here they have deep ditches for rain water run off and small drive way openings makes for fun pulling in or backing in. The life of a truck driver!

Dave ----

Ja!

All I know is it doesn't matter if you can drive, all that matters is if you can back up.