Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I'm not sure I understand "When I turn the gear on the cable the other side does not spin". Do you mean that the gear is spinning on the cable? IOW, you turn the gear but the cable doesn't spin?If that's the case it is likely that your gear is stripped internally where it slides on the cable. But, for that to happen it is probable that the cable is hard to turn, if not stuck. If so you need to pull the inner cable out of the outer cable, clean it, and lube it. But you do NOT want too much lube. There's a speedo cable lube with teflon in it, and another with graphite in it. Either of those goes on and "dries", leaving very little to get up into the speedo itself and mess it up.And then there's just the sticks of speedo cable grease. Dad taught me to pull the cable, wipe it down, and then run the stick against the first half of the cable going back in, but not the last half. That keeps the amount grease down and prevents messing up the speedometer, which can happen.As for the different speedo cables, the difference is the length.
Thanks Gary! Correct, the gear spins freely on the end. I pulled the

cable out and it was intact and well lubricated. I can spin it easily

from the side opposite of the gear. It does not seem like a dry lube

though Very wet. I ran the cable back through the housing but the

same result. So Seems like the gear is stripped internally like you

said. I guess I am looking at getting a new cable and gear.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 6:24 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]

wrote:

>

> I'm not sure I understand "When I turn the gear on the cable the other side does not spin". Do you mean that the gear is spinning on the cable? IOW, you turn the gear but the cable doesn't spin?

>

> If that's the case it is likely that your gear is stripped internally where it slides on the cable. But, for that to happen it is probable that the cable is hard to turn, if not stuck. If so you need to pull the inner cable out of the outer cable, clean it, and lube it. But you do NOT want too much lube. There's a speedo cable lube with teflon in it, and another with graphite in it. Either of those goes on and "dries", leaving very little to get up into the speedo itself and mess it up.

>

> And then there's just the sticks of speedo cable grease. Dad taught me to pull the cable, wipe it down, and then run the stick against the first half of the cable going back in, but not the last half. That keeps the amount grease down and prevents messing up the speedometer, which can happen.

>

> As for the different speedo cables, the difference is the length.

> Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

>

> Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches

> Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow

> Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

> http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/WHYDTYTT-What-Have-You-Done-To-Your-Truck-Today-tp148p70140.html

> To unsubscribe from WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?, click here.

> NAML

I'm not sure I understand "When I turn the gear on the cable the other side does not spin". Do you mean that the gear is spinning on the cable? IOW, you turn the gear but the cable doesn't spin?

If that's the case it is likely that your gear is stripped internally where it slides on the cable. But, for that to happen it is probable that the cable is hard to turn, if not stuck. If so you need to pull the inner cable out of the outer cable, clean it, and lube it. But you do NOT want too much lube. There's a speedo cable lube with teflon in it, and another with graphite in it. Either of those goes on and "dries", leaving very little to get up into the speedo itself and mess it up.

And then there's just the sticks of speedo cable grease. Dad taught me to pull the cable, wipe it down, and then run the stick against the first half of the cable going back in, but not the last half. That keeps the amount grease down and prevents messing up the speedometer, which can happen.

As for the different speedo cables, the difference is the length.

I use Cable Life and the cable luber that accompanies it.

My background in motorcycles almost dictates this.

I tighten the lube adapter over the end of the sleeve and spray until I see it come out the other end.

Easy peasy.

I use Cable Life and the cable luber that accompanies it.

My background in motorcycles almost dictates this.

I tighten the lube adapter over the end of the sleeve and spray until I see it come out the other end.

Easy peasy.

I replied to this via email but it has not shown up:

I'd imagine the cable is fine.

Plastic before steel, don't you know....

I agree with Jim, the cable is probably fine. Just did a search for "ford speedometer gear" and got this hit.

I agree with Jim, the cable is probably fine. Just did a search for "ford speedometer gear" and got this hit.

I Looked more closely today and if I push the cable all the way into the gear it turns correctly. I guess the cable had slipped out of the gear. The inside of the gear is not stripped but I noticed 4 of the gear tear are worn down or broken.

Going to try a new gear.

Thanks!

Josh

I Looked more closely today and if I push the cable all the way into the gear it turns correctly. I guess the cable had slipped out of the gear. The inside of the gear is not stripped but I noticed 4 of the gear tear are worn down or broken.

Going to try a new gear.

Thanks!

Josh

Seems like a good plan. Assuming your speedometer has been reading correctly you want to go back with the same tooth count on the gear as what you have. And they are usually color coded to the tooth count.

Going to try a new gear.

Thanks!

Josh

If you are talking of the DRIVE gear inside the transmission it does not take much of that gear to be worn down to stop it from driving the DRIVEN gear on the cable so I found out.

I had to replace the DRIVE gear in the transmission and when at it also replaced the DRIVEN gear on the cable. All worked as it should till a did a transmission swap. My cable DRIVEN gear was new but the DRIVE gear was a little worn but looked good other wise.

Well I swapped the DRIVE gear from the old transmission to the new transmission and the speedo works again.

So if the DRIVE looks a little worn replace it and you should be ok.

Dave ----

Going to try a new gear.

Thanks!

Josh

If you are talking of the DRIVE gear inside the transmission it does not take much of that gear to be worn down to stop it from driving the DRIVEN gear on the cable so I found out.

I had to replace the DRIVE gear in the transmission and when at it also replaced the DRIVEN gear on the cable. All worked as it should till a did a transmission swap. My cable DRIVEN gear was new but the DRIVE gear was a little worn but looked good other wise.

Well I swapped the DRIVE gear from the old transmission to the new transmission and the speedo works again.

So if the DRIVE looks a little worn replace it and you should be ok.

Dave ----

Pics of chumped drive gear side by side with new, in my 1356 thread....

Pics of chumped drive gear side by side with new, in my 1356 thread....

I found a Ford green gear with the same tooth count and ordered it. I have not crawled up to peer into the tranny to see the internal gear.

I guess I will see after it's installed how the speedo behaves.

While I was removing the speedo cable from the tranny I noticed two wires from a plug on top of tranny that were cut and the matching wires hanging down. I assume these are the "shift" light on the dash connections?