Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Got the new shocks on today, ride is a bit stiff but the handling is back. Well I guess it's there now? Got the new modulator in but haven't driven it enough to check/set my shift points.

Oh man!

Those look like the Gas Magnum's that came off 'Lil Red before I installed the new Gas-a-Just's

Oh man!

Those look like the Gas Magnum's that came off 'Lil Red before I installed the new Gas-a-Just's

I did nothing to my truck today.

But I did notice something cool.

Every shade tree mechanic needs a stump.

I brought one over to beat on, while working on my floor.

IMG_20200410_182206.thumb.jpg.372e8c7a98b6599d33ceba3d834b407c.jpg

Notice how, after the heavy rains, only the heartwood has tannic acid to turn the cutting/grinding dust black.

IMG_20200410_182213.thumb.jpg.c374f30a555f283a776b3023a90358e5.jpg

Back in the day trappers would boil their traps in a 'tea' of oak bark to blacken their traps and keep them from rusting.

Much the same as I'm using phosphoric acid in the unreachable crevices of my truck.

Thank you all for allowing me to geek out for a moment.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled truck forum....

I did nothing to my truck today.

But I did notice something cool.

Every shade tree mechanic needs a stump.

I brought one over to beat on, while working on my floor.

Notice how, after the heavy rains, only the heartwood has tannic acid to turn the cutting/grinding dust black.

Back in the day trappers would boil their traps in a 'tea' of oak bark to blacken their traps and keep them from rusting.

Much the same as I'm using phosphoric acid in the unreachable crevices of my truck.

Thank you all for allowing me to geek out for a moment.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled truck forum....

I took a few pictures, does that count lol.

20200330_101806.jpg.1c3a55a4fc61c857366ea46ff6b9ec41.jpg20200330_101744.jpg.1506789122b383063247ec5b47bd6294.jpg

I talked to Fisher plows the other day, they thought it was super cool that this plow dad has is still in use, although they were not thrilled he painted it red http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

And like that, 35 years of carbs goes out the window.

Upgrading dads truck. Working on figuring out dual tanks..thinking check valves and Aermotive in tank pumps on factory hangers.

Angelo - My pick is the later fuel delivery modules. Plumbing outside of the tank is easy - just tees. The only real issue is the gauge, and I have a plan for that.

I took a few pictures, does that count lol.

I talked to Fisher plows the other day, they thought it was super cool that this plow dad has is still in use, although they were not thrilled he painted it red :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Gary isn't too thrilled about the bits on Big Blue that are painted red, either! 😆

Angelo - My pick is the later fuel delivery modules. Plumbing outside of the tank is easy - just tees. The only real issue is the gauge, and I have a plan for that.

Gary

This truck was originally a single tank truck. In fact, it didnt even have the frame crossmember needed to attach the tank straps too. I sourced one out of a mid 90s dually. We put in plastic tanks with low pressure in tank pumps for a 1987 model, with a low pressure selector valve and set it up like a factory 87.

Holley said the only way to do it was to change that selector valve to a high pressure one along with the pumps, but we think there is an easier way.

Gary

This truck was originally a single tank truck. In fact, it didnt even have the frame crossmember needed to attach the tank straps too. I sourced one out of a mid 90s dually. We put in plastic tanks with low pressure in tank pumps for a 1987 model, with a low pressure selector valve and set it up like a factory 87.

Holley said the only way to do it was to change that selector valve to a high pressure one along with the pumps, but we think there is an easier way.

And that would be?

Gary

Looking at photos it appears Ford and Chevrolet used the same 6 pin connector at the fuel tank selector valve. If you pick up a AC delco selector valve for a 87 I believe it is dual tank truck those selector valves have a decal on them saying they are 60 PSI rated.

That was a option I was looking at incase I added a rear tank on my 82 to extend the range but I think a single 16 gallon tank with fuel injection should get better range than I did with a 2V carb.

Also I know, shouldn't have GM parts on a Ford but in some cases its the best option. I could get a holley fuel filter/regulator for my FI setup but that's $120 and you have to rebuild the regulator from time to time while a 2000 - 04 Corvette fuel filter/regulator for $60 has a new regulator every time you replace the filter.

So you wont be on your 4th filter change then your truck leave you stranded cause the regulator needs to be rebuilt.

All I am doing is waiting for the bulk SXL CrossLink wire I bought for my auxiliary fuse box to be delivered. Was out for delivery yesterday but then I check tracking today and usps says its ready for pick up at 3pm yesterday. I feel this might be another screw up on the guy like with my last package that was scanned delivered but I never got it and I got it the next day. So I have the fun time of waiting till 1pm getting slowly more pissed off waiting for my package to arrive then if it doesn't then I get to get even more pissed off driving to the post office to pick up what was out on the truck yesterday to be delivered but now too lazy to do their damn government job today.

Looking at photos it appears Ford and Chevrolet used the same 6 pin connector at the fuel tank selector valve. If you pick up a AC delco selector valve for a 87 I believe it is dual tank truck those selector valves have a decal on them saying they are 60 PSI rated.

That was a option I was looking at incase I added a rear tank on my 82 to extend the range but I think a single 16 gallon tank with fuel injection should get better range than I did with a 2V carb.

Also I know, shouldn't have GM parts on a Ford but in some cases its the best option. I could get a holley fuel filter/regulator for my FI setup but that's $120 and you have to rebuild the regulator from time to time while a 2000 - 04 Corvette fuel filter/regulator for $60 has a new regulator every time you replace the filter.

So you wont be on your 4th filter change then your truck leave you stranded cause the regulator needs to be rebuilt.

All I am doing is waiting for the bulk SXL CrossLink wire I bought for my auxiliary fuse box to be delivered. Was out for delivery yesterday but then I check tracking today and usps says its ready for pick up at 3pm yesterday. I feel this might be another screw up on the guy like with my last package that was scanned delivered but I never got it and I got it the next day. So I have the fun time of waiting till 1pm getting slowly more pissed off waiting for my package to arrive then if it doesn't then I get to get even more pissed off driving to the post office to pick up what was out on the truck yesterday to be delivered but now too lazy to do their damn government job today.

I bought myself a little birthday gift and mounted it on the truck this morning.

20200410_135455.jpg.42be0cef2f445135bdadc8d56d8cbbc0.jpg

I am waiting on my big birthday gift but with this virus thing I don't know when it will get here :nabble_anim_confused:

Dave ----