Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Thank you Shaun for the wealth of information. Your email may not have been what I wanted to hear but was the information I needed.

If the Bullnose vents canโ€™t be adapted to the bricknose HVAC box then Iโ€™m definitely in over my head. At some point enough is too much. I need to haul water and my faucets wonโ€™t care what grille or dash the tank truck has! :nabble_anim_crazy:

You have to be pretty determined to do what I did, and to do it right. There were still things I have to live with, like the shoulder belts being different. That's where I draw the line, because they work fine and I'm not gonna modify them just for the aesthetic. Most people won't even notice.

A few days ago Lesley and I hit the road in the motorhome for Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground (at Walt Disney World). At the first gas stop I realized we had a pretty big problem. The metal strap that held (past tense) the sewage discharge pipe up had snapped, so the pipe was dragging on the ground. Short term I tied it up with some rope, but knew I had to do something a lot better with it if we were going to be able to use any water in the motorhome on this trip (Lesley really wanted the toilet and shower working).

So the next day we stopped at a Gander RV somewhere in Illinois. We weren't able to get most of the parts we needed, but we got a few. Then later we stopped at a Camping World in Nashville and got a few more pieces of the puzzle. We spent Friday night at my brother-in-laws just outside of Nashville and he took me to Home Depot where I was able to get the rest.

So Saturday morning I was laying in his driveway cutting, fitting and cementing PVC pipe. I was able to get it all back together and it all works now (with the strap not making the tight bend that resulted in it snapping before). And Lesley got to chat with her brother instead of just twiddle her thumbs while I fixed it in a parking lot or something. So it went better than expected.

We hadn't started using the water yet, because it was 10 degrees when we left home. We knew we couldn't un-winterize the water system until we got down to Florida. So a not-so small blessing was that I didn't have sewage running out on me while I was working on it!

One old job that I appreciated on this trip was replacing the momentary-duty battery isolator relay with a continuous duty one. When we got the RV I could jump one battery from the other, but couldn't leave them coupled. On Friday night we had to run the furnace and the camper battery died around 5:30 in the morning. No big deal, we jumped the camper frm the van battery to start the generator (which we needed to microwave our egg-bake breakfast). And then when we hit the road the vans alternator could recharge the camper battery!

Anyway, we're on vacation now. We're appreciating the 70 degree temps (and the working water system!). I'll probably check in occasionally, but hopefully not too often:nabble_smiley_wink:

A few days ago Lesley and I hit the road in the motorhome for Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground (at Walt Disney World). At the first gas stop I realized we had a pretty big problem. The metal strap that held (past tense) the sewage discharge pipe up had snapped, so the pipe was dragging on the ground. Short term I tied it up with some rope, but knew I had to do something a lot better with it if we were going to be able to use any water in the motorhome on this trip (Lesley really wanted the toilet and shower working).

So the next day we stopped at a Gander RV somewhere in Illinois. We weren't able to get most of the parts we needed, but we got a few. Then later we stopped at a Camping World in Nashville and got a few more pieces of the puzzle. We spent Friday night at my brother-in-laws just outside of Nashville and he took me to Home Depot where I was able to get the rest.

So Saturday morning I was laying in his driveway cutting, fitting and cementing PVC pipe. I was able to get it all back together and it all works now (with the strap not making the tight bend that resulted in it snapping before). And Lesley got to chat with her brother instead of just twiddle her thumbs while I fixed it in a parking lot or something. So it went better than expected.

We hadn't started using the water yet, because it was 10 degrees when we left home. We knew we couldn't un-winterize the water system until we got down to Florida. So a not-so small blessing was that I didn't have sewage running out on me while I was working on it!

One old job that I appreciated on this trip was replacing the momentary-duty battery isolator relay with a continuous duty one. When we got the RV I could jump one battery from the other, but couldn't leave them coupled. On Friday night we had to run the furnace and the camper battery died around 5:30 in the morning. No big deal, we jumped the camper frm the van battery to start the generator (which we needed to microwave our egg-bake breakfast). And then when we hit the road the vans alternator could recharge the camper battery!

Anyway, we're on vacation now. We're appreciating the 70 degree temps (and the working water system!). I'll probably check in occasionally, but hopefully not too often:nabble_smiley_wink:

Well done, Bob! When you started into that debacle I assumed you had sewage everywhere and I was envisioning the scene from RV. But w/o having un-winterized it was a lot less bad.

And the fact that Lesley got to talk to her brother, and he was there to help you as well, was a big plus.

On the relay, you are saying the RV didn't come with a continuous-duty one? That seems strange. What were they thinking????

Anyway, enjoy the trip. We will still be here when you get back. :nabble_smiley_wink:

.... On the relay, you are saying the RV didn't come with a continuous-duty one? That seems strange. What were they thinking????....

I assume it wasn't continuous duty because it had a momentary switch to activate it and because it was much smaller than the relay I put in (which I know is rated for continuous).

When we bought the RV (used, out of a rental fleet) the salesman said the switch and relay were for jump-starting the van engine from the camper battery. And yes, that was really all it could be used for. So I agree, "what were they thinking?"

ย 

.... On the relay, you are saying the RV didn't come with a continuous-duty one? That seems strange. What were they thinking????....

I assume it wasn't continuous duty because it had a momentary switch to activate it and because it was much smaller than the relay I put in (which I know is rated for continuous).

When we bought the RV (used, out of a rental fleet) the salesman said the switch and relay were for jump-starting the van engine from the camper battery. And yes, that was really all it could be used for. So I agree, "what were they thinking?"

David - I do know I'm blessed, and I thank God for her every day.

Bob - Hope the trip is going well and you are in the warmth with no problems. As for the relay, a momentary switch pretty well tells the tale. :nabble_smiley_oh:

David - I do know I'm blessed, and I thank God for her every day.

Bob - Hope the trip is going well and you are in the warmth with no problems. As for the relay, a momentary switch pretty well tells the tale. :nabble_smiley_oh:

When I was in Walmart getting some things for the next "dash project" I picked up a fire extinguisher.

I been meaning to get one since the truck was on the road, best to have and not need, and I plan to hit a few shows and some you have to have one placed by the left rear tire.

It fit nicely in the behind the seat storage.

I also got the tail gate letters yesterday. I need it to warm up so I can wash the truck, have been driving it in the rain like today for work, and it needs to be warm to install as per the paper.

Dave ----

.... Bob - Hope the trip is going well and you are in the warmth with no problems. As for the relay, a momentary switch pretty well tells the tale. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Yep, we made it to Walt Disney World on Sunday afternoon, so we've been in the warmth for a while. In fact, I think it was upper 80s today. And I haven't had to work on a truck since Nashville, so all is good!

Yep, we made it to Walt Disney World on Sunday afternoon, so we've been in the warmth for a while. In fact, I think it was upper 80s today. And I haven't had to work on a truck since Nashville, so all is good!

Welcome to Florida from a somewhat local! Disney World is a couple of hours south of me.

Oh, and watch out for :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:

Welcome to Florida from a somewhat local! Disney World is a couple of hours south of me.

Oh, and watch out for :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:

Over the weekend I noticed my truck was pulling a bit to the right under braking.

I figured it was just that loose ball joint I've been needing to get to (when I rebuild the front end ๐Ÿ˜„)

Monday on the way into work it started grinding.

These rotors are stupid expensive when you no longer have a press to separate the hub. ๐Ÿ˜ฃ

Anyway, severe duty pads were not in stock anywhere, so I went to Amazon and saw its been almost four years.

Hopefully I can get the rotors cleaned up.

Having downtime would at least give me opportunity to shim out the fog lights- if it weren't raining yesterday..

ย 

Over the weekend I noticed my truck was pulling a bit to the right under braking.

I figured it was just that loose ball joint I've been needing to get to (when I rebuild the front end ๐Ÿ˜„)

Monday on the way into work it started grinding.

These rotors are stupid expensive when you no longer have a press to separate the hub. ๐Ÿ˜ฃ

Anyway, severe duty pads were not in stock anywhere, so I went to Amazon and saw its been almost four years.

Hopefully I can get the rotors cleaned up.

Having downtime would at least give me opportunity to shim out the fog lights- if it weren't raining yesterday..

Jim - I hope you can get this done before the next storm comes in! It is apparently coming through here now and headed your way.

And, I hope the rotors can be salvaged. Good luck!