Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

IDK Gary.

The fill plug says use type H, which is superceded by Mercon V.

RP seemed to work well for me

Dave - Got it. Thanks for the explanation. But are you using a punch to make the square holes?

Jim - Yep, my ZF also worked well with RP. And it calls for Type H as well. Perhaps he used Mercon V, which is the right stuff? Dunno.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim, watch them yellow-n-black home depot bins.

They like to crack. I used them when I moved and packed them full of parts then into a PODS for shipping.

When I pulled them out some were cracked then and a few more have done so over time.

Dave ----

What do you suggest?

I want something I can run zipties through the lip so it stays closed.

What if you run packing tape around them as well? Just in case they crack. But these won’t be subjected to high heat or long usage on this trip, so may be ok?

Packing tape will not stick to polyethylene, but it will stick to itself.

I can put some plywood in the bottom so nothing blows through, but more weight to ship.

Packing tape will not stick to polyethylene, but it will stick to itself.

I can put some plywood in the bottom so nothing blows through, but more weight to ship.

Yes, that’s kinda what I was suggesting -a wrap all the way around with the tape and back to itself. Not sure the ply is needed, but that’s your call.

Yes, that’s kinda what I was suggesting -a wrap all the way around with the tape and back to itself. Not sure the ply is needed, but that’s your call.

Too bad it's so hard to find filament reinforced strapping tape.

I always used to have it in multiple widths.

Maybe I should just wrap the bins like I did Bill's stuff.

Another pic of the action this morning

IMG_20171029_083334.thumb.jpg.2fecda8e1df55e9d3e2d9c87e7918129.jpg

You may be OK with the bins if you are moving them.

If someone else is moving them they just cant be banged around.

I moved all my bins into & out of the PODS and some were broken when they got down here to NC from CT.

I just want to give a heads up is all.

Gary, the plan is to drill a hole in the lip of the bed sides first then use my air saw, think the blade is small enough, to add the "square" to the hole.

OR drill a hole first and then use a jig saw to add the "square" to the hole.

On the front header panel I can not add nuts from the under side to the bolts as the brace is not open like the stock flare side one. So I am thinking of using hex head sheet metal screws into the floor.

On the front panel the heads sticking up should not be a big deal when using the bed like if they were used down the sides.

That is the plan for now!

Dave ----

Shame you had to cut the air and EGR pipes. If no one else wants the manifolds, I can always use a spare set of the later ones.

That looks like the oil pan and dipstick you wanted too!

Shame you had to cut the air and EGR pipes. If no one else wants the manifolds, I can always use a spare set of the later ones.

Bill - Was that to Jim or me? I ask because I'm wondering if the oil pan on this '90 might be better than the one on Big Blue since that one is leaking at the dip stick adapter. But, this one looks to have the same adapter. :nabble_smiley_cry:

However, I was just comparing the BW1356 that is on the '90 with the one I had built for Dad's truck. Turns out I should have waited and saved myself some expense of figuring out the output shafts. If you remember, the one for Dad's came from the F350 that the ZF came from, and it had the bigger u-joints in the rear and the double-cardon joint in the front. So, I had that changed to take Dad's driveshafts, which are essentially new.

But the rear of the 1356 on the '90 has a different output, and since I need to use the driveshafts that came with the '90 since the E4 is so much longer I'll need to swap outputs. Oh well, at least I have the right parts now. I'll have to ask James if the output can be changed easily. :nabble_anim_confused:

No torch, no big wrenches...

No time to dick around.

I asked Gary multiple times if he needed any egr or A.I.R. components.

I'll be glad to finally cut this thing and get it out of the plant.