Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Took the truck to work for the last time this year. Truck runs great but I am not happy how fast the 16 gallon gas tank gauge moves off full.

My 16 gallon tank gauge does the exact same thing Dave. Once it gets below about half way on the gauge, it slows right down. The last quarter moves even slower. I had to bend the float arm in mine to even get it to read full at all, so I know it's not 100% perfect. However, it does read full, and it does read empty, so I can live with that. I try to monitor my miles traveled anyway, so that will keep me in check regardless.

The gauge may slow down some on the lower half but not being able to use the rear tank and still "feeling this truck out" don't want to push my luck when down to the empty.

I did check the gauge and with 5 gallons it moves up to the "E line" so I when on it I have 5 gallons and with 10 gallons its a little over half on this 16 gallon tank.

Now that the rear tank sender should be fixed and I fill both I can push it more and have a back up tank

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave ----

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spent the last few hours of 2019 pulling the transmission out of my daily.

Shaun,

So that is the M5OD-R1, right? It looks almost the same as the M5OD-R2. I see you have a short shifter on there like a Hurst or Cores? How do you like it?

Can't help with your current issue, but curious what fluid you're running in that trans?

My M5OD is notchy to shift until it gets good and warmed up. I currently just have regular old ATF in it...nothing special. Wondering if there was a better fluid that would make the thing behave a little better.

I would think with ATF it would shift pretty much the same cold or hot?

Now if it had 75-90w I can see it shifting different cold (hard) and hot (easier).

Dave ----

No, it's definitely notchy and hard to shift when it's cold, and when I say "cold", I mean anytime that it hasn't been run/driven in a while. After a fair amount of driving...maybe 20 miles or so, it gets much easier to shift and the notchiness goes away.

No, it's definitely notchy and hard to shift when it's cold, and when I say "cold", I mean anytime that it hasn't been run/driven in a while. After a fair amount of driving...maybe 20 miles or so, it gets much easier to shift and the notchiness goes away.

Shaun - I agree with Jim. I'd replace the release bearing while in there, especially if I found nothing else. Good luck!

Dave - Have you checked your miles per tank? Do you know how far you can get, and do you have a trip odometer? That's what I've been relying on with Big Blue as the gauge is wonky.

Cory - I'd try Royal Purple's Synchromax. Here's what they say about it:

Royal Purple® Synchromax® is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or other light-viscosity oil. It is also ideal for transfer cases and 2-cycle motorcycle gear boxes that specify light-viscosity lubricants.

Synchromax is formulated with Royal Purple’s synthetic, proprietary Synerlecadditive technology, offering improved shift quality over a wide temperature range and reduced gear noise.

Synchromax is fully compatible with all types of friction materials and offers excellent corrosion and oxidation protection without affecting the soft metals commonly found in manual transmission synchronizers.

Shaun - I agree with Jim. I'd replace the release bearing while in there, especially if I found nothing else. Good luck!

Dave - Have you checked your miles per tank? Do you know how far you can get, and do you have a trip odometer? That's what I've been relying on with Big Blue as the gauge is wonky.

Royal Purple® Synchromax® is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or other light-viscosity oil. It is also ideal for transfer cases and 2-cycle motorcycle gear boxes that specify light-viscosity lubricants.

Synchromax is formulated with Royal Purple’s synthetic, proprietary Synerlecadditive technology, offering improved shift quality over a wide temperature range and reduced gear noise.

Synchromax is fully compatible with all types of friction materials and offers excellent corrosion and oxidation protection without affecting the soft metals commonly found in manual transmission synchronizers.

Gary and I both have good opinions of Synchromax.

Though finances dictated I'm running Merc-V right now.

I got mine from Amazon.

Cheaper than stores and delivered, it's a good deal.

No trip counter in this truck.

The MPG is what I got on the first tank and could be off some, I hope.

I will know better on this next fill as I am trying to track it just to see how good or bad it is over the Durango that gets about 14 with the AC on.

Dave ----

No trip counter in this truck.

The MPG is what I got on the first tank and could be off some, I hope.

I will know better on this next fill as I am trying to track it just to see how good or bad it is over the Durango that gets about 14 with the AC on.

Dave ----

I realized I never posted what my lights look like without the fogs filling in, and since I was at the same spot last night...

IMG_20191231_171939.thumb.jpg.a36c11cd24e4b90d2b040e9103091890.jpg

IMG_20191231_171946.thumb.jpg.5ab2a39eac82f1303168b9d1256b2dc1.jpg

I realized I never posted what my lights look like without the fogs filling in, and since I was at the same spot last night...

Looks good, I got to get under mine to see what it will take to adjust mine but with the head light relay harness installed it is now like driving in day light LOL

Dave ----

Jim - I'm seeing more light up as well as pretty much straight ahead, but not much more to the sides. Am I missing something? I guess I expected fogs to light up a wider area?

Jim - I'm seeing more light up as well as pretty much straight ahead, but not much more to the sides. Am I missing something? I guess I expected fogs to light up a wider area?

Maybe the pics don't do it justice. 🤔

There's a huge difference in close, and to both shoulders.